Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 08:21 PM

And now for something completely different:

I use Pedag insoles: https://pedagusa.com/adults/?_bc_fsn...Tanned+Leather

They are cheap enough to just toss when worn, the leather ones feel nice, and certain versions are thin enough so they dont change the fit of your shoe.

(FWIW, the insoles that came with my Speciaized shoes were bizarrely painful due to that metatarsal bump.)
Old 09-18-2020, 11:02 AM

OK, resurrecting this thread.

I ran the Specialized insoles for many years in Specialized S-Works original and S-Works 7 shoes. The 7s stopped working for me because the Boa dials were uncomfortable around my instep. I got a pair of Giro E70 knits instead. I was a bit surprised that they seemed to fit well, because I don't have narrow feet, but I had heard the last was not as narrow as Giro's usual last. I would otherwise get on well with Shimano shoes, but the Boa dial on an RP9 I tried was pressing uncomfortably into my instep. I didn't try the S-Phyre. Maybe I will at some point.

I tried a pair of the G8 insoles (I found some 2600s on sale on eBay, and I'm not sure how they're different to the current model, the 2620). They seem good, and I like that you can move the arch support around and modify the height. They are very thick, and they don't fit in the E70s at all. The G8s are living in my off-road shoes (Shimano's XC5s). That shoe has enough volume that the insoles play well with my feet.

I wore out the Specialized insoles living in my E70s. I decided to try the Icebug insoles, which are a bit pricier than the Specialized, but less so than the G8s. Icebugs tend not to be easy to get from stores, even stores carrying Icebug footwear. I found a seller on Amazon. Anyway, it turns out their low-volume insole is very thin, thinner than the Specialized. It seems to have a lower arch support than the G8 - the instructions for those guys are fit the highest arch support that's comfortable. The Icebugs have a very prominent metatarsal bump. It does feel strange the second you step on the insole, but it compresses enough that it totally disappears for me when riding. This may not work for everyone! It's a very big bump, much more prominent than either Specialized or G8 have. I didn't really notice the metatarsal support on either of those insoles while riding, but I guess I have only ridden insoles with metatarsal bumps of some sort for the last 10 years.

So far, I like the Icebugs. On my E70s, the thinness of the insole means the shoe now plays a lot better with my foot. With the slightly thicker Specialized insole, I had to fiddle with the lace tightness a lot. If I tightened the laces so that my feet were really locked into the shoe, I'd get foot pain. I left them just slightly loose, but I could feel my feet moving on very hard efforts. With the Icebugs, I can tighten the laces a lot more.

Basically, I have now used the Specialized insoles and G8 insoles for some time. The G8 is a premium insole, and in comparison to the Icebugs, I don't find the premium to be worth it to me. I think I like metatarsal bumps, so I'm less inclined to try the Bontrager insoles (made by Superfeet). To experiment, I have tried some regular Superfeet insoles in my cycling shoes, and they were OK in the Shimanos but uncomfortable in the E70s (and I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing they're thick and that's taking too much room in the E70s).

So, why don't I get a higher volume lace shoe? That's a fair question. I don't really see a lot of those. The Specialized Sub-6 has been discontinued, and I'm not sure the overall last will suit my foot well. My overall comfort in the S-Works 7 wasn't as good as in either the Shimanos or the E70s, plus there was the issue I had with the Boas. Shimano doesn't have high-end lace shoes. Giro's other lace shoes are going to be too narrow. I am aware that Lake makes one lace shoe. I'd actually be willing to try the new S-Phyres if the padding around the Boa dials is OK.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I wore out the Specialized insoles living in my E70s. I decided to try the Icebug insoles, which are a bit pricier than the Specialized, but less so than the G8s. Icebugs tend not to be easy to get from stores, even stores carrying Icebug footwear. I found a seller on Amazon. Anyway, it turns out their low-volume insole is very thin, thinner than the Specialized. It seems to have a lower arch support than the G8 - the instructions for those guys are fit the highest arch support that's comfortable. The Icebugs have a very prominent metatarsal bump. It does feel strange the second you step on the insole, but it compresses enough that it totally disappears for me when riding. This may not work for everyone! It's a very big bump, much more prominent than either Specialized or G8 have. I didn't really notice the metatarsal support on either of those insoles while riding, but I guess I have only ridden insoles with metatarsal bumps of some sort for the last 10 years.
I've also been using the Icebug insoles, primarily for the metatarsal bump, but also because they are quite thin (my shoes don't have a lot of volume). They work very well for me, and like you say, the metatarsol bump seems high, but compresses under foot pressure. In regard to your comment about the arch support height, it should be mentioned that Icebug insoles come in 3 arch heights (labeled "low" "medium" and "high"). In addition to the thin version (yellow), they also make a thicker version (blue) with more padding (also in 3 arch heights).
Old 09-18-2020, 12:08 PM

Since we're discussing insoles, I'm finding a challenge with my Specialized MTB shoes. I use Specialized road shoes with SPD-SL pedals. I use the blue Specialized insoles and find the road shoes very comfortable. The MTB shoes (with stiff carbon soles and the blue insoles) are causing me discomfort in the forefoot above the cleat area. I can definitely feel a raised bump over the cleats. The bump isn't noticeable when feeling the top of the installed insole with my hand, but definitely noticeable when wearing the shoes. Any suggestions to alleviate this discomfort?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 09-18-2020, 12:11 PM

I like the Icebug too and still use them, but have since had an opportunity to pick up some Solestar Kontrol Road insoles. They are indeed better quality, more support, stiffer, and more $$$. Put the Icebugs in some shoes I use for gravel riding that occasionally get walked in. The Solestars are in road shoes that I don’t anticipate I’ll be walking in. Both has a metatarsal bump that really suit my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2020, 12:16 PM

I've used the Specialized insoles with their shoes, very good, enough support, but not too much.

My current shoes came with Solestar insoles, very stiff for the first 5-10 rides, but great now, more support than the Specialized, and I find my feet are happier, especially on longer rides when pedal stroke tends to get worse.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:50 PM

I have used the Superfeet in black for a number of years.

Then I tried the Superfeet in yellow which are made for ice skates and they are far superior in comfort, arch support and durability in my experience.

Think I will give the Specialized a try to see how they compare.

Best of luck with your quest.