Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 09:16 AM

Fuji SL1 and Status of the Company?

I've run across a Fuji SL1 Pro in my size and wondering if anyone has any experience with the bike? When being sold at Performance they were the top of the heap. All the reviews I've read say it's an extremely light, well handling machine with geometry on the racy side as opposed to comfort.

None the less, Fuji never seemed to be that popular here in US. And now with Performance gone (their primary dealers) I am wondering what the company status is? Anyone know if the bankruptcy Fuji is going through in the US or is it global?
Old 12-07-2019, 09:34 AM
Riding Along

Why worry. If the price is right go for it. The odds of needed a warranty claim are small. If there was an issue then the cost of repair would likely be less than the money you saved buying the bike. Hard to lose.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:38 AM

http://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/road

One of my friends had one of those sl1 a few years back. he was super happy with it. Personally I liked it a lot more than other offerings back a few years ago.

Fuji is a more traditional "bike as it should be" company, u wont find non sense stuff with them.

I do not know what you preferences are in a bike, some guys like comfort 100% (thats when you see non sense road bikes, or mtb disguised as a road bike stuff) or racy stuff... I would definitely try to ride one of those fujis 1st, probably you will like it, its super nice.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Why worry. If the price is right go for it. The odds of needed a warranty claim are small. If there was an issue then the cost of repair would likely be less than the money you saved buying the bike. Hard to lose.
I'm not worried. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with that model and then second...just what the status of the company is?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:55 AM

Clearly is still in business.

No idea where in georgia is where you live but looks like there's dealers in your state.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 12-07-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Clearly is still in business.

No idea where in georgia is where you live but looks like there's dealers in your state.
Nope, I checked and none of them exist any longer.

I did some research and it appears that after a very long,, convoluted year long court battle with multiple entities...this is the latest.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...d#.XevUDS3Mz3B
Old 12-07-2019, 10:43 AM

A rider in our group had one years ago. He loved it. Looked like a really nice bike.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:06 AM
50 bpm

The Fuji brand once owned by Advanced Sports Inc. is now owned by Pacific Bicycle Wholesalers and Ideal Bike, both Taiwanese companies. The former Advanced Sports is now called BikeCo and is the sole distributor for the Americas.

Fuji has some new bikes coming out next year that were delayed by the bankruptcy.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Picshooter

If the fit and price are good I would say go for it.
I started shopping for an SL1 when Performance was still around. They were pretty scarce and $$$.
I found the best price from this shop: http://www.bicycledoctorusa.com. He was quick to reply to my questions.
I stumbled on an Altamira SL that had been relisted a few times on ebay, for a fraction of the "new" SL1's price. Same C 15 carbon frame and fork material as the new SL without the price. The build quality is very good. It fits me well, built up light and rides nice. No issues what so ever.

Last edited by rePhil; 12-07-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

I road an SL1 for a few years. Really enjoyed the bike. I never experienced any problems with it. I sold it locally in Raleigh and the guy is still ridding it to this day.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:32 PM

I live in the St. Louis metro area. Seems like there’s always been a Fuji dealer in the area since the ‘70s. Currently there are at least five dealers that carry the brand.
A number of friends have Fujis and like them.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:30 PM

Thanks guys, very helpful advice. I'd much rather ride a bike before I buy it..but with the advent of the internet and Ebay....not always feasible. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:31 PM

Fuji

Fuji, has always made good bikes. Their carbon bikes were always excellent quality. I had an Altamira I loved, should've kept. Go for it. The SL1's were always pretty expensive, if you can get on that's a deal even better.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:05 AM

Whatever you get, you get. Probably a great bike, ride it until whatever but get a good deal. There's probably a lot of random stuff floating around

Lots of baggage for the newest iteration of Fuji to make it back. Lots of folks in the industry never really made whole with the bankruptcy thing. Mainly performance and the stores. Small industry, folks remember

Always had great bikes and an iconic brand in the US market, getting Performance was a bridge too far. Being absent from the market is a killer too. By the time you get a little back ...too late. See Ross, Raleigh, mongoose, Schwinn, nishiki, iron horse. They all managed to bungle a good thing, too

Last edited by peanutgallery; 12-08-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:11 AM

Check your local CL, sure you will find one because those fujis were indeed popular. My friend that died last year (cancer... miss that sucker a lot ) had one and he loved it. Super light and with not super fancy stuff.

IMHO with some stuff is better just go used in CL, you find them not for a lot, not warranty but at least you will test the bike before dropping the wallet maybe in a new one.