Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 04:08 AM

2 thing :

1. The timings is bad, wait for spring.

2.Through all the comments I read no one mentioned that when you buy a new bike they offer financing or you could use a credit card to buy it. When you sale a used bike, people need to have the money in their bank account and that reduced the amount of potential customers.

eBay: I wouldn’t buy a e-bay bike as you cannot see the bike physically.

Used bike: people that look for a used bike are looking for deal.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2019, 04:47 AM

Difficulty Selling Premium Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I would have to say that i dont think your lowered price is even close to "almost laughably low".

In fact i think its still pretty high for that bike.

A used athena group is maybe 400$ wheels and the rest of the parts are likely not 600$ so your asking price for the frameset is still only what you are asking for the full bike 3200? - 1000 = 2200 for frameset?

Also bikes are usually cheaper when complete as very few would want it exactly like one has allrdy built it. So the price for this frameset is perceived as bit more than 2200 since you cant buy it without the rest of the bike and sell the parts?

2200 for used steel frame from hampsten is not what i would consider cheap, actually the opposite if anything.

Maybe i missed something and its cheaper than i think and the parts are more valuable etc or your price lower than i saw? Would not normally say anything like this but you asked :/ Its hard as if you are not a bike nut and constantly buying new stuff and frames the market can be tough to gauge or follow as its constantly changing. But now today this would still be expensive imo.

This. For comparison, I got my fairly comparable rim brake TIG welded True Temper S3 frame with Enve 2.0 fork in almost mint condition (similar level of custom builder) for I think $900, 3-4 years ago when disc was not yet so dominant.

Ha, also I think your full bike is at Super Record / Bora prices where it is Athena / Eurus content for used items...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jc031699; 12-05-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:08 AM

Bikes are no different than cars or houses...when they don't move it is usually a price problem more than a trend.

PL classifides are the best, imo. I can find things here that I cannot buy local at prices that are reasonable, from really good folks.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:37 AM

If anyone has trouble selling a premium Moots or other 29er, please let me know.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:32 AM

Disc brakes.

I cannot see myself buying a non-disc bike anytime soon and I guess neither can anyone else.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:53 AM

People have been talking about a "soft" market in used bikes for years. I'm not convinced the market is anything other than it has always been.

Another thing is that all of these boutiquey bikes are different and with the numbers so small it's hard to see discernible trends. Two things with Hampsten is that they are tig welded (for the most part I think) and third-party built. Not saying better or worse, just different.

The right buyer would consider that bike at $1600, especially as it seems in near mint condition. As was pointed out, no doubt some would be doing the math at what they could sell the parts for. Someone interested in just the frame would offer to buy just the frame.

Here's my experience: 2009 Hampsten Crema-their attempt at a "stock" model. But still tig-welded steel-Reynolds team pro 853 and OX platinum mix. IF built. Bought and sold several times on PL for a bit more than $1k for f/f/hs. I purchased for about that with the brakes. I listed it a few years later for about that, then reduced to $900. Same story as yours-lots of interest, "nice bike", etc. Months after I stopped bumping the listing two people offered to buy it. By then I had it back in the rotation.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
Disc brakes.

I cannot see myself buying a non-disc bike anytime soon and I guess neither can anyone else.
Not necessarily. Some of us bottom feeders are perfectly content with rim brakes and 7800. They really do work fine.

As for soft markets, it's just basic supply and demand. There is a TON of great stuff out there and it's increasing every day. The demand side is increasing minutely while the supply side continues to crank it out. The prices suffer as a result. It's incredible what can be purchased these days for a very reasonable price.

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 12-05-2019 at 07:58 AM. Reason: add an apostrophe
Old 12-05-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
Disc brakes.

And it’s this kind of preference that results in very attractive prices on rim brake bikes and wheels for those of us who don’t feel that way. That skews the price/performance ratio very much in our favor.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:12 AM

This above^...yes, it's just a fact...sad in some ways but just the way it goes...rather than bleating on about how I think everyone moving to gravel and disc is a problem, some of us embrace it...just like every other market via what's in or out of fashion...I personally am not interested in discs or gravel...but it's none of my business really as to what other folks dig...I do know tho I have an amazing collection (for me) of good bikes I never thought I would own being fairly "poor" compared to most folks who have gotten into high end bikes...I mean, I picked up a C50 in pristine shape for 700 bucks here last year...that never would have happened 5 years ago if those new trends didn't appear...nor did I think I would ever be riding a bike like that...
Old 12-05-2019, 08:14 AM

Why do people believe bikes to be worth so much when even they no longer desire them?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Why do people believe bikes to be worth so much when even they no longer desire them?
well, I don't know...but I do find it odd sometimes that folks order custom geo stuff from top quality artisans...the old cliche of the "lifetime" bike...and then sometimes move them on after a few years to try something else and get a new custom build...I ain't knocking that...it's anyone's personal choice of course...but if you have enough money to do that not sure why the concern about losing on the resale...I mean, we all know the state of bike frame resells...it's sorta like redoing a car to your exact specs...doing some custom build...some guy has 50 grand invested in that dream car and is shocked when he can't find a buyer ready to give him more than 23 grand...the 50 grand the guy put into his dream just ain't going to garner that personal interest back as it was his dream...and not others in that exact manner...it was his dream, and the buyer gets lucky when he lets it go for whatever reason...

Last edited by cash05458; 12-05-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
well, I don't know...but I do find it odd sometimes that folks order custom geo stuff from top quality artisans...the old cliche of the "lifetime" bike...and then sometimes move them on after a few years to try something else and get a new custom build...I ain't knocking that...it's anyone's personal choice of course...but if you have enough money to do that not sure why the concern about losing on the resale...I mean, we all know the state of bike frame resells...
Same as it ever was...
Old 12-05-2019, 08:26 AM

fwiw that's a beautiful ride and once one buys the frame, their additions would exceed or equal the 1600 you're asking for it. I say part it out. To the right buyer who wants everything on that hampsten it is certainly worth 1600. But someone who wants a hampsten isn't going to buy that build, they're particular enough that they would want all their own stuff on it.

me, if it fit, I would top out around 1200 for it complete as is. Lots of time to break it down and sell the parts I don't want, and after putting what I want on it I'm further in the hole. I can see you reasonably clearing 800 for the frame, 400 for the group, etc. start every bid on eBay at $.01. the market will show you. If you want to save time and get it out of the house, list it at $.01 for auction, $1150 BIN on eBay or the classifieds.

Starting eBay auctions at $.01 is the best way to sell items. I sold a regular old rim brake, all city bike frame in good used condition for $660 at auction. It cost around 800 new. the low price/auction style brings buyers in.

Last edited by cinema; 12-05-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Randomhead

It's not so much that I want a disc brake road bike, but the suppliers have decided I want a disc brake bike and I'm somewhat disinclined to struggle over that issue. I have enough pointless struggles in my life to pick up another one that doesn't really affect my riding in any substantive way. I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that way.

We went to the Raystown lake trail system and there were a couple of guys riding 26" mtbs that probably were high-end when they bought them 10 years ago. I imagine the comments they get about their bikes are really annoying, and forget about trying to sell them. And they are perfectly capable bikes. The industry tried to do the same to 29er with 650b, but so far it isn't working as well.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohagen View Post
Hey, nate, what size is it? If you’re thinking about giving it to someone...
my 56ish baum corretto with a brand new paintjob is staying fairly firmly planted