Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 10:44 AM

OT: 2019-20 NBA Discussions

Since the 18-19 season is in the books (congrats, Raptors and fans) and that thread is currently sitting at an unwieldy 80+ pages, I'm starting a new thread to talk upcoming draft, free agency, trades, season outlooks, whatever going forward.

Have at it.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:31 AM

A thought about longevity as it pertains to AD (who has been injury prone). Most of the longest tenured players (who maintained productivity late into their careers) were "grounded". Duncan, Nowitzki, Nash, etc. James is an outlier. I think the Lakers are making a big gamble. On that note, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Zion has a very unusual frame for the NBA...
Old 06-17-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
A thought about longevity as it pertains to AD (who has been injury prone). Most of the longest tenured players (who maintained productivity late into their careers) were "grounded". Duncan, Nowitzki, Nash, etc. James is an outlier. I think the Lakers are making a big gamble. On that note, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Zion has a very unusual frame for the NBA...
What does this term mean to you?
Old 06-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
What does this term mean to you?
Played largely below the rim.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Ah, for sure. Repeatedly jumping 36" in the air and slamming 220-250 lbs back onto the hardwood can't be awesome for your joints.

LeBron is a cyborg, physically. Last year was the first year he was really injured for any significant period despite big playoff minutes. Start of the inevitable decline, or just a blip? I do think he has the ability to play the "grounded" game for several more years - he is probably the smartest player in the league.

With Kawhi's success this year, "Load Management" is going to be the big thing next year. As pertains to the Lakers, I'm curious to see how much they can actually rest Davis and LeBron and where that leaves them in terms of playoff seeding, and whether it matters. Davis gets injured a bunch too.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Ah, for sure. Repeatedly jumping 36" in the air and slamming 220-250 lbs back onto the hardwood can't be awesome for your joints.

LeBron is a cyborg, physically. Last year was the first year he was really injured for any significant period despite big playoff minutes. Start of the inevitable decline, or just a blip? I do think he has the ability to play the "grounded" game for several more years - he is probably the smartest player in the league.

With Kawhi's success this year, "Load Management" is going to be the big thing next year. As pertains to the Lakers, I'm curious to see how much they can actually rest Davis and LeBron and where that leaves them in terms of playoff seeding, and whether it matters. Davis gets injured a bunch too.
I think the template for James is Malone, who came into the league 25 pounds lighter than when he was in the Finals. He adapted his game around strength and smarts rather than explosiveness.

The templates for Zion are very thin. LJ and Kemp, perhaps. Both of whom had short primes. I think he'd better slim down.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I think the template for James is Malone, who came into the league 25 pounds lighter than when he was in the Finals. He adapted his game around strength and smarts rather than explosiveness.

The templates for Zion are very thin. LJ and Kemp, perhaps. Both of whom had short primes. I think he'd better slim down.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...treak.amp.html

“Williamson also seemed to acknowledge that playing at his listed weight of 285 pounds may have been a factor in the myriad injuries that limited him to 24 of New Orleans’ 72 games as a rookie. He said after Thursday’s morning shootaround that his off-season focus will be “getting my body where it needs to be.”

It’s negligent for the Pelicans not to insist ZW lose weight.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Played largely below the rim.
Kevin Garnett would always try to block a practice shot that someone took after a timeout, or stoppage.
I remember hearing someone saying with regard to Garnett, how badly he would really love to have all those jumps back.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Registered (ab)User

I gotta admit purely for sophomoric reasons, that this is the most entertaining sports story of the past week.

I mean, I freakin' hate the Lakers, but would still love to see them grab a ring next year just to get Levar to eat crow. I can't be the first person to observe that the Ball family are the Kardashians of basketball. Feel bad for the Pelicans.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I gotta admit purely for sophomoric reasons, that this is the most entertaining sports story of the past week.

I mean, I freakin' hate the Lakers, but would still love to see them grab a ring next year just to get Levar to eat crow. I can't be the first person to observe that the Ball family are the Kardashians of basketball. Feel bad for the Pelicans.
Actual Lavar: "My time in the spotlight is up and I can't stand it."

I don't like the dude either, but I can't get with you on the Lakers winning next year just to spite him. I believe in process and rational decision making, and the Lakers turning their last 3 months of actively horrible management into AD and a title would be too much. I hope they crater and AD declines his option in 2020.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Someone 6’ 10” or taller should really spend some quality time bringing the Sky Hook shot back.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:02 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
I don't like the dude either, but I can't get with you on the Lakers winning next year just to spite him. I believe in process and rational decision making, and the Lakers turning their last 3 months of actively horrible management into AD and a title would be too much. I hope they crater and AD declines his option in 2020.
Yeah, I was kinda joking about hoping they win. I mean, Levar is an idiot, but the Lakers are a huge organization of idiots.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I'm concerned for Zion, as I mentioned in the above quote. Hopefully, his recent injury is a minor setback. Another trainer at my gym (who also grew up playing ball) disagrees with me. He thinks Zion's athleticism and body mechanics hasn't been seen in the league since Lebron.

I don't agree. I just don't see how he forges a longer career in the NBA at 285. Not with his playing style.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I'm concerned for Zion, as I mentioned in the above quote. Hopefully, his recent injury is a minor setback. Another trainer at my gym (who also grew up playing ball) disagrees with me. He thinks Zion's athleticism and body mechanics hasn't been seen in the league since Lebron.

I don't agree. I just don't see how he forges a longer career in the NBA at 285. Not with his playing style.
My thread from a few months back. He needs to shed some weight. End of story.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:39 AM

Apparently over 1 million people downtown Toronto for parade today...watching some of it on TV...crazy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk