Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2023, 01:32 PM
Deconditioned!

Thanks all. Lots of good info.

Just to be clear, some of this is just me complaining after having a life of essentially no physical drama. I was lucky. While I have pain, it's manageable. I've been on celebrex and the like before. My preference is to take zero medicine unless I really really really need to.

I can still ride and do all that I need to. There are certain movements that don't work. I think I really pissed the hip off with some deep goblet squats using a kettlebell. I'm gonna skip those. I'm good on weight (190, 6'2"). I don't think body comp is a factor.

This was more about seeing what others have experienced as I begin to weigh future options. I don't think I'm super close to needing anything. While there's a dull pain in my hip, it's definitely livable.

Most thankfully, the new RM3 has a pretty relaxed position with about 9-10 cm of drop. I'm playing around with less reach (shorter stem) to open the hip angle up.

I just won't be drilling it in a paceline in full tuck anymore....not like that has even happened in the past handful of years. I am going to look into some stretches/strengthening stuff and see what that gets me.

Youth truly is wasted on the young.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:52 PM

What about anything to do with your shoes, cleats, etc.. ?

Do you wear any fancy insoles or anything?

I've had hip pain the last 3-4 years (45 years old). I'm pretty sure my prescription orthotics are actually the cause. I've been in them for 30+ years so they are not at all easy to ditch but not wearing them makes my hips and knees extremely happy. Disturbingly so. But it's also a tough road to get out of them completely for me.

The activities that were giving me issue are pretty similar to what you're reporting.. aggressive bike positions and certain squat/lunge/dead lift motions. For me it's the shoes and/or orthotics/insoles causing my knee to track outward and hence change the way my hip moves.

But adjusting which way your knee tracks on the bike might be an easy thing to do.

Shoe manufacturers seem like they have gotten really aggressive with messing around with your feet in a way that affects this stuff lately. Foam shoes, motion control shoes, all the different offsets and heal designs... for me some of them really mess with the way I move almost as much as the orthotics do/did.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:59 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
What about anything to do with your shoes, cleats, etc.. ?

Do you wear any fancy insoles or anything?
I do have some custom insoles in one pair of shoes. But I cycle (ha) between 3 different pairs. Nothing fancy, or anything, in any of my regular shoes. The discomfort is the same regardless.

My wife is preggo right now...so I've joined her in a few late night snacking (mis)adventures of m&ms and ice cream. I'm wondering if the added sugar (inflammation) and unwise squats are part of the issue? I'm laying off the sugar and squats to see how that changes things for me.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:12 PM
commuter racer

Bummer Lavi sorry to hear of this. If you want to go for an easy spin with another gimpy rider send me a message!! Sorry I've been dormant for a while.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:22 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Bummer Lavi sorry to hear of this. If you want to go for an easy spin with another gimpy rider send me a message!! Sorry I've been dormant for a while.
Boom. Let's do it! We can slow roll some Tabor or something.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:31 PM

I remember when I first started working with my physical therapist on increasing my hip mobility. I could not squat really low. One day I was all jazzed up on caffeine and decided that I was going to really "nail" my goblet squats. I went too much too fast and spent the next few weeks recovering from my enthusiasm. All that to say that Goblet squats can be difficult. I wouldn't swear them off but definitely take it easy.

What size cranks do you ride?
Old 04-03-2023, 03:41 PM

edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Most thankfully, the new RM3 has a pretty relaxed position with about 9-10 cm of drop. I'm playing around with less reach (shorter stem) to open the hip angle up.

I just won't be drilling it in a paceline in full tuck anymore....not like that has even happened in the past handful of years. I am going to look into some stretches/strengthening stuff and see what that gets me.
I started getting nagging hip discomfort early last year. X-ray and ortho visit.....mild arthritis but good mobility.

One exercise aggravates my hip. Band placed just below knee's, extend a leg out to the side, back, other leg and repeat.

Riding also aggravates the hip so I started making some adjustments to my bikes to open up my hip angle some. Sitting in a chair is not good.

What does give me relief.....my Chiro really goes hard and deep where I have hip discomfort.....and I'm shedding a tear, no make that 5.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:44 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
I remember when I first started working with my physical therapist on increasing my hip mobility. I could not squat really low. One day I was all jazzed up on caffeine and decided that I was going to really "nail" my goblet squats. I went too much too fast and spent the next few weeks recovering from my enthusiasm. All that to say that Goblet squats can be difficult. I wouldn't swear them off but definitely take it easy.

What size cranks do you ride?
175. Though I think I have a 172.5 on one of my bikes.

And ya, a goblet squat with a KB in hand wasn't my wisest decision. I dislike them on good days.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:47 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Sitting in a chair is not good.

What does give me relief.....my Chiro really goes hard and deep where I have hip discomfort.....and I'm shedding a tear, no make that 5.
Yes. My office chair is a chore these days. I try to get up a few times/hour to stretch things out.

I'm going to try rolling on a ball on the joint to see what that does....sorta like cheap chiro.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:42 PM

I’d try ditching anything like superfeet or anything like that in your shoes.

Foam roller and/or ball and/or massage gun to quads/hamstrings/ITB/glutes. Guessing you’ve already tried that.

Any fancy insole or a motion control shoe changes the position of your femur in your hip, it’s worth a try. Though the flip side is depending on where your damage is it could make it worse. But it’s easy to try and just as was to put them back in.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:54 PM

I have a couple of questions for those who have had hip replacements.
1) How long did it take to get back on the bike after the surgery?
2) Was there a significant power loss on the affected leg?
3) Have you had to make any adjustments to your fit or form to accommodate the new hip?

For me, a hip replacement is imminent. I am about three years recovered from a catastrophic injury and in the back of my head I am afraid to start the recovery process over again. Hearing all the positive accounts mentioned in this thread has made me more comfortable with the idea of a new hip than hours of googling so thank you all for your input.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:08 PM

Lavi,
Did you do anything about the hip yet? Also, did you end up selling that gorgeous Kirk?

I just got my second cortisone injection in the right hip. My first one was a little over a year ago and therefore, they seem to be effective in my case. A cortisone injection is minimally invasive and might be worth a try for you.

Last edited by dcama5; 05-10-2023 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:21 PM
Deconditioned!

Yo. Ya. Hip stuff is underway.

I went back to my sawbones. He's a great guy and never leads with meds/procedures.

To get the inflammation down, I'm on some Meloxicam. Less discomfort that day. I don't want to stay on this stuff any longer than is necessary.

Additionally, I did some PT. I have a few exercises to strengthen. We aren't doing mobility/range of motion stuff as bone on bone (congenital dysplasia) is what it is.

Interestingly, the PT, also a strong cyclist, who also had a hip replacement, suggested using pedal extenders (20mm). I'm not so sure about these as they may not be great for carbon cranks. I also would fear risking them failing under load. Eating my stem/kissing the tarmac is something I really try to avoid. Anyone else using these? Reputable sources? I saw Specialized used to market these buy had a product recall as a result of them breaking.

To be clear, I'm likely at a pain/discomfort level of a 1 (out of 10). It's more that this came on as something I wasn't previously dealing with. I am doing all I can to get info and get ahead of it. Regardless, a hip replacement is in my future.

The biggest impact on my riding is that I can no longer go super low while pedaling (no big loss as I don't race). My right leg is no longer directly under me. It's canted out to the side. BUT...I can still ride and smile!
Old 05-10-2023, 04:37 PM

Great to hear lavi! I wouldn't worry about the meloxicam, it's a pretty safe 24hr NSAID that I am also on at 15mg/day. My problem is different from yours because mine is primarily an arthritis issue. Also, at 70 years old, I never have a slammed stem on any bike. Good luck with this and it sounds like you are researching all options. Dave
Old 06-07-2023, 04:04 PM

Lavi, how's the hip?

This subject is close to me, because I got another cortisone injection 3 weeks ago on the outside of the right hip. Apparently, you can have arthritis in the joint, and I got cortisone in that joint about a month and a half ago, but you can also have bursitis on the outside of the joint. I had another injection there.

I had a visit with Winchester Orthopedics today and was asked about a metal hip. I said, "Hell No!" if I can manage with the cortisone and still ride and work out in the gym, I am sticking with that.

Anyway, hope your situation is working out.