Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 10:05 AM

Engel?

I bought an Engel from Cabelas last summer. They had them on special and they checked a number of boxes for me.
Ultimately, I have no need for the limits of what the super-coolers can do, but wanted something more robust and higher-performing than the Coleman and Coleman-like options.
We didn't use it much, but I'm very happy with what it is for what we need.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:17 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
Going to bring this thread back. Looking for an insulated cooler for a long road trip. Wondering if there are new players in the market or if any of these have held up or fallen apart?
An outside the box suggestion:a fridge

https://a.co/d/gVlSrJX

No buying ice. No soggy sandwiches. Can be used as a fridge or freezer. Can be used as a backup fridge during an emergency.

There are more expensive options (Dometic, Iceco, etc). This ones done well for me for 2 years. I also have an Iceco that works well, too.
I use mine for road trips and camp outs. When off grid, 100w solar charger and Jackery 500w power bank does the job.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:21 AM

Above is a good suggestion.

Walmart's all over the country also still have Moosejaw coolers on clearance from when Walmart owned Moosejaw. They're not available on Moosejaw's own website anymore, but I was able to get one of these in store for only $73. Insanely good value. Solid, solid cooler.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Moosejaw-...6?from=/search

Another option is an RTIC.

Just don't buy a Yeti - unless its discounted. Way overpriced.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:58 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

A fisherman friend (deap sea) swears by:

https://aocoolers.com/collections/sportsman-series

But for keeping cold/even temps, not frozen where applicable preference.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:30 PM

I'll second the fridge idea. I have an Iceco JP50 and love it, runs very little when down to temp and is a great cooler unplugged as well. You do need to closely consider volume when purchasing and they are heavy, but ours is a road trip staple. Viable option worth considering anyway.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCaraco View Post
I bought an Engel from Cabelas last summer. They had them on special and they checked a number of boxes for me.
Ultimately, I have no need for the limits of what the super-coolers can do, but wanted something more robust and higher-performing than the Coleman and Coleman-like options.
We didn't use it much, but I'm very happy with what it is for what we need.
I've had a couple of Engels for a while and have been satisfiend with their cooling and quality. Would not hesitate to buy another...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-25-2024, 04:56 PM

Thanks all. Will probably be looking at something from REI to take advantage of the dividend.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:07 PM

I have a 45 and 65 qt RTIC that I bought for my offshore trips. One tourney I fish is a week long and if I pre cool with a bag of ice it will keep ice for 5 days at the least and that is with putting fresh fish n it too.
Great coolers at a great price point. Just as good if not better than a grizzly that I also have.
https://rticoutdoors.com/45-QT-Hard-Sided-Cooler.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:50 PM

I upgraded to a wheeled yeti

I get together with my old HS team once a year, and I often bring CA beer that they can't get (Pliny etc). Last few years, more of them like these west coast IPA's so I got a wheeled yeti--needed the volume for more beer and just much easier to move it around with the wheels.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:21 PM

Fridge for sure.

Much better than lugging around ice, sacrificing storage to ice, and having all your stuff get drowned in water when all the ice melts.

The nicer ones have a snap in battery pack that lasts all day too.

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Elec.../dp/B09FQFXQKQ
Old 02-26-2024, 10:36 PM

We won a Yeti cooler in a college support auction and it does an incredible job of holding ICE once it is conditioned. A few days before I use it, I put a frozen gallon jug in it from my freezer and cool off the inside and it will hold ice for at least 5 days before needing more ice.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:24 AM

Just my $0.02...

We have two main coolers.

A Coleman steel-belted 54 quart. It's a good size for a weekend camping trip, I've had it for >20 years now and it refuses to die, but it's not the best insulating. I wouldn't want to keep meat in it for more than 2-3 days without frequently topping up the ice. I suspect the newer generation of rotoform coolers work better (but cost a small fortune and take up more space for a given capacity).

We also have an Rtic 24-can backpack cooler. I haven't tested how long it will keep ice cold, but it works very well for a typical day trip, picnic, concert, etc.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:08 AM

Yeti hard coolers are what we use but I don’t think they perform much better than much cheaper alternatives. They are very heavy and take a lot of space for how much they hold. If i didn’t have all I need probably for life id get an igloo polar cooler instead for less than half the price and similar performance.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Fridge for sure.

Much better than lugging around ice, sacrificing storage to ice, and having all your stuff get drowned in water when all the ice melts.

The nicer ones have a snap in battery pack that lasts all day too.

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Elec.../dp/B09FQFXQKQ
How do you power it on a multi day trip with no electricity? Put your ice in bags…easy solution to the mess and more efficient keeping the ice packed together.. Plenty of great options out there.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 02-27-2024 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
How do you power it on a multi day trip with no electricity? Put your ice in bags…easy solution to the mess and more efficient keeping the ice packed together.. Plenty of great options out there.
Pretty simple.

I don't take multi day trips with no electricity.