Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
It appears all of the above statements are based on the BicycleRollingResistance.com tests, but none of these statements is entirely correct. Of the 3 fastest tires, only 1 is a true tubeless tire (GP5000 Tubeless) - the other two are tubeless ready and must be used with sealant. This is an important point, because sealant adds both weight and rolling resistant. Tests by BicycleRollingResistance.com show that the extra rolling resistance of sealant is about equal to the rolling resistance of a latex tube (and about the same weight also). Testing by AeroCoach have similarly shown no significant difference in rolling resistance and weight between latex tubes and sealant.

So a tubeless ready tire will have the same weight and rolling resistance with a latex tube as it does when using sealant.

(Note: The BicycleRollingResistance test protocol is biased toward tubeless tires. In an attempt to standardized testing, all non-tubeless tires are tested with the same type of medium weight butyl tube - even though lightweight racing tires like the ones mentioned above are far more likely to be used with latex tubes, or at least with lightweight butyl tubes, both of which will reduce their rolling resistance.)
When these 'tech-y' subjects come up, I always look forward to Mark's responses..they are always spot on, and always backed with real info/data..bravo...
Old 01-14-2021, 06:43 AM

I've run Corsa Speed tubeless with latex tubes with no issues. It just tricky to stuff a tube into a new tire. Other than that is was very fast and road smooth.

Personally I'd buy a regular tire for everyday use.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
fwiw, i've sworn off conti tires altogether. some people may have different experiences, but i've only run into tight beads with them and have found much better luck with other brands.
I agree about the tight beads but I really do love the grip and compliance when I finally do get a pair muscled onto my rims.

It makes sense on paper that a tubeless tire would have a less flexible bead but I was not presuming that would make it harder to get on. For lack of better phrasing, if the tubless bead was less of a sticky rubber and more of a smooth plastic in composition it could theoretically be easier to put on because it would slide over the rim instead of holding on for dear life. Does that make sense or am I speaking nonsense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
It appears all of the above statements are based on the BicycleRollingResistance.com tests, but none of these statements is entirely correct. Of the 3 fastest tires, only 1 is a true tubeless tire (GP5000 Tubeless) - the other two are tubeless ready and must be used with sealant. This is an important point, because sealant adds both weight and rolling resistant. Tests by BicycleRollingResistance.com show that the extra rolling resistance of sealant is about equal to the rolling resistance of a latex tube (and about the same weight also). Testing by AeroCoach have similarly shown no significant difference in rolling resistance and weight between latex tubes and sealant.
So what you're saying is get the GP5000 Tubless and just run it without a tube or sealant.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:05 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by strayduck View Post
I agree about the tight beads but I really do love the grip and compliance when I finally do get a pair muscled onto my rims.

It makes sense on paper that a tubeless tire would have a less flexible bead but I was not presuming that would make it harder to get on. For lack of better phrasing, if the tubless bead was less of a sticky rubber and more of a smooth plastic in composition it could theoretically be easier to put on because it would slide over the rim instead of holding on for dear life. Does that make sense or am I speaking nonsense?

So what you're saying is get the GP5000 Tubless and just run it without a tube or sealant.
Run the GP5000TL's with sealant and get fast tires and puncture sealing. Seriously, it's 5-10 minutes every 90 days to refresh the sealant. You don't have to carry tubes, can run lower pressures, and don't have to pull the tire to fix everyday flats.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:09 AM

I must admit that I never thought of using a tubeless tire without any sealant. I've ridden over 10,000 miles with no punctures with tubed tires, but did get two pinch flats from running over rocks, that presumably would not have occurred if running tires without tubes. The uncertainty is getting the beads to seal, without the help of sealant. I've always read that to be unlikely. A spare tube or at least some sealant would need to be carried, along with a method of inflation.

I now have Michelin tubeless ready tires, that require sealant, but what will happen if I don't replenish it? It seems like any leakage through the side walls should now be sealed. I know that some leakage occurred when the tires were first inflated, without sealant. After several months, with sealant, they still hold air as well as a tubed tire.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
But! I'd still say that if you're going to run tubes, just run a regular tube-type tire. Way easier to get on and off, lighter, and occasionally a more comfortable casing. Also, almost always cheaper. There are more important things for a tire than watts lost to rolling resistance, even on a race bike.

Agreed.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Run the GP5000TL's with sealant and get fast tires and puncture sealing. Seriously, it's 5-10 minutes every 90 days to refresh the sealant. You don't have to carry tubes, can run lower pressures, and don't have to pull the tire to fix everyday flats.

I wouldn't run tubeless tires without sealant. I can't remember the last time I got a pinch flat and most of my flats are from thorns and the second is glass. I'm not convinced sealant works that well with glass cuts (many are too big to seal). I would still carry a spare tube. I've also gotten flats when the sealant dried up because I didn't keep it topped up.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Its still prudent to carry a spare tube, just in case you get a tire slash too big for the sealant to seal. Just like it prudent, whether using tubes or tubeless, to carry a tire boot, in case you get a tire slash so big a tube would protrude from the casing.

Tags
mounting, tires, tubeless, tubes