Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

IDK what they weigh, but I just built a pair of DT Swiss 350/Bontrager hubbed DT Swiss 411 rimmed wheels that should be pretty light.

Haven't even ridden em yet!

M
Old 10-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Have personally never had much luck with lightweight/low spoke handbuilts.

I guess it depends alot on your weight, although I'm not particularly heavy. The best handbuilts I've owned have all had 28 spokes or more, with 2/1.8/2 spokes on the rear driveside minimum. The light weight wheels have never ridden as well.

If you've got the budget, I guess you could spec a few more spokes and spend a load on some Extalite hubs to keep the weight down.

IMO you're better off just going for something in the 1550-1650g range and buying a carbon seatpost/saddle/handlerbars etc. (of course you may already have these :-D )
Old 10-12-2018, 11:25 AM
Vendor

I have a set for sale that ticks most of your boxes. HED+/DT 240/CX Ray. No coated brake track and just over 1500 with tape, but LMK
Old 10-12-2018, 11:27 AM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Zipp 202 comes in < 1400 and I like them better than 303 as an all around wheelset.

For aluminum, I have a set of DT 240 hubs, Velocity Aerohead rims, CX Ray spokes that are somewhere around 1500. You can play around with rim choice or try tubular to shave more weight.
the 202's are 1440.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Wh-9000 c24?
i have these, they're right around 1400, but they're marvelous. you can pick up a set for $450-500ish (or lower once in a while on the boards)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:51 AM

I previously owned this set made by Fairwheel, who's pretty well known for their weightweenie builds. At 195-220lbs depending on personal and carried weight, they remained stiff and lively and utterly brilliant. 1354g listed weight.

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/2016/...0-sl-wheelset/

On my scales with tape and valves they were 1390g, so right there with the estimate. Other than the fancier brake tracks of other options, I can't imagine a better alloy rimmed wheelset available at the moment.

The only downside is the Tune freehub shell is pretty soft so you'd probably want to employ the paperclip hack to avoid excessive biting.

If you'd really want to go light, using the wheelbuilder weight calculator a 20/24 set with Enve 2.2 Clincher, DT180 Hubs, Sapim Superspokes and Alloy nipples can be done at around 1300g!
http://www.wheelbuilder.com/wheel-we...alculator.html
Old 10-12-2018, 06:45 PM

I have a set of DT 440's with 240s hubs that I plan to augment with another wheel set. Light is fine, durable is more important. I ride 5k a year, climb around 300k on 50% roads that are chip seal filled with potholes and the other 50% decent enough pavement. I'm looking for durability, comfort, and good cornering on descents, which I enjoy taking at speed. I'm 190 pounds or so.

I have had enough flats this year to put tubeless on the table for consideration, but I can also stick with tubes too. The HED Belgium+ seems like an obvious choice, but any other ideas for rims, spokes, hubs, etc....?
Old 10-12-2018, 07:24 PM

good thoughts all around.
for a little context, i've tried a handful of factory and handbuilt wheels and i was spoiled by the enve 3.4 i had. they were phenomally responsive and spot on 1400g with the enve carbon hubs. they stopped like crazy but alas, the new braking surface was like nails on a chalkboard for me. i just couldn't imagine getting used to it so i moved on to the zipp 303. smooth carbon brake tracks with swisstop black prince pads stop well enough, about on par with plain jane al rims i've had. i'm in socal and love love love riding on wet trails so i'm on the mtb almost exclusively if i ride in the rain.
i'll look more closely at those boyd rims and revisit the aforce al33 rims. i dig the black rims, but really i'm curious to try ceramic coated rims again after having had mavics back in the day.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
for a little context, i've tried a handful of factory and handbuilt wheels and i was spoiled by the enve 3.4 i had. they were phenomally responsive and spot on 1400g with the enve carbon hubs. they stopped like crazy but alas, the new braking surface was like nails on a chalkboard for me. i just couldn't imagine getting used to it so i moved on to the zipp 303. smooth carbon brake tracks with swisstop black prince pads stop well enough, about on par with plain jane al rims i've had. i'm in socal and love love love riding on wet trails so i'm on the mtb almost exclusively if i ride in the rain.
i'll look more closely at those boyd rims and revisit the aforce al33 rims. i dig the black rims, but really i'm curious to try ceramic coated rims again after having had mavics back in the day.
Great rims and exceptionally good customer service.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:07 PM

Rolf Elan. But the Vigor and Aspin also fit into your weight spec.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Princess Sweat

Rolf Elan
Boyd

CX-Rays.

If you don't want them to last too long, alloy nipples.
If you want them to last longer, brass nipples.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Have personally never had much luck with lightweight/low spoke handbuilts.

I guess it depends alot on your weight, although I'm not particularly heavy. The best handbuilts I've owned have all had 28 spokes or more, with 2/1.8/2 spokes on the rear driveside minimum. The light weight wheels have never ridden as well.

If you've got the budget, I guess you could spec a few more spokes and spend a load on some Extalite hubs to keep the weight down.

IMO you're better off just going for something in the 1550-1650g range and buying a carbon seatpost/saddle/handlerbars etc. (of course you may already have these :-D )
This is always a conundrum for me...for a rider of known weight(but often step out of shower weight, not go ride weight),but unknown cycling finesse(as in, tough on stuff/wheels or not), where is that ‘sweet spot’. Wheels Not too heavy but not unreliable either(think French bridge builder).... build a light set of wheels that go to hell because it doesn’t suit the rider, adios rep as a ‘good wheel builder’.

Plus, yes, 1400 grams are light wheels...but only about 250 or so grams lighter than a set of more durable wheels...on that 85,000 gram or so bike and rider package..plus light most always equals expensive($3+ for cxray spoke, etc)....diminishing. returns for sure.

So, yup, I’m pretty conservative in wheelbuilding philosophy but 2 things, no such thing as a free lunch and don’t want to be the French bridge builder.
IMHO, of course, ‘pal’...

French bridge builder built many fine bridges but s____k_d one ___k....he was then known as the French ___k s____e_....

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-13-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:09 AM

Hed Ardennes: 1430g
Old 10-13-2018, 11:22 PM

DA C24s or high zoot Ksyriums if you're supplementing a good handbuilt set. You won't notice much difference going from 1600 gram handbuilts to essentially the same wheel with 8-12 fewer spokes. The system wheels are a more noticeable difference. Shame you're off Campy/Fulcrum because the Fulcrum Zeros are some of the best. You probably want something with super stiff aluminum spokes to get a noticeably "light" feel when climbing as compared to your current alloy handbuilts. That's my $.02.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
DA C24s or high zoot Ksyriums if you're supplementing a good handbuilt set. You won't notice much difference going from 1600 gram handbuilts to essentially the same wheel with 8-12 fewer spokes. The system wheels are a more noticeable difference. Shame you're off Campy/Fulcrum because the Fulcrum Zeros are some of the best. You probably want something with super stiff aluminum spokes to get a noticeably "light" feel when climbing as compared to your current alloy handbuilts. That's my $.02.
Great point...stiff wheels, either thru aluminum spokes or carbon rims ‘feel’ light cuz they are stiff, not because they are light. The whole ‘spin up fast’ gig....stiffness.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post

One thing to remember is that a 1400g aluminum wheel is a totally different animal versus a 1400g carbon wheel when comparing durability.
As for the al33, I think you would be hard pressed to get a reliable wheelset under 1550g (or higher).