Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2018, 06:41 PM

Having got that all outta the way in my earlier post, that is a sweet looking car and I bet it's fun to drive. My new to me 09' Outback 5 speed has me wishing it was an XT model, and I would love to try out the clutch less shifting transmissions, etc. , etc. Gotta love technology that is affordable to the masses.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:36 PM
DELETE ACCNT

It's on Toyota's new global architecture and the manual has downshift rev matching
I prefer it overall to the Civic hatch inside and out.

I think it will sell well and a great improvement.
Will see if it becomes a cult car but that is hard to predict in this segment.

Veloster and Mazda3 are also competitive for sporty econoboxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm generally a euro hatch kind of guy, but man, this looks pretty good to me, if i were in need of a personal car.

all things i like: adequate power with NA engine, 6MT, hatchback, 'yota reliability.

i predict this will be another cult classic favorite car.

what do you guys think?

Old 10-13-2018, 08:18 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post
My '00 Audi A4 Avant (wagon) 2.8 5-speed finally needed more work that it was worth. The '18 Honda checked all the boxes. Bike fits (no problem!). check. Manual trans. check. 180HP/6500rpm redline. check. Mileage (32+mpg commuting). check. Fits 5. check. FUN to drove (sport suspension, stock 18 rims 235/40 tires, sticks in the corners). check. Honda quality and reliability (hopefully check). Plus it looks great with center mounted exhaust. Better looking then the Corolla IMHO. Under 25k out the door (tax title license extended 10yr/100K mile bumper to bumper warranty). Built in the UK for the primary market for hot hatch cars, which is the EU.
center mounted exhausts are an automatic 'no-go' for a bike vehicle as it forever excludes the use of a hitch-mount rack.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:56 PM

Cons

Cabin is smaller in the back than some competitors
Rear visibility is compromised by thick roof pillars
Most rivals are more enjoyable to drive
One of the slowest cars in a segment not known for speed
Old 10-31-2018, 02:54 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Saw this great review of the Corolla hatch and remembered this thread
Sounds like a fantastic product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cPsZXNfs0w
Old 10-31-2018, 10:52 AM

It's a cool car and it caught my eye as well. My wife had a 2005 Corolla S that was a great car. I do have a feeling the poor view out of the car at the year would be pretty bad as another poster said. I test drove an new Venza when they came out and the terrible view out the back was a non-starter for me.

I like the idea of a hatch, but with two growing kids I'd really prefer something like a Camry XSE hatch (that doesn't exist) if and when it makes sense to move along my '03 Camry XLE.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
Cons
Cabin is smaller in the back than some competitors
Rear visibility is compromised by thick roof pillars
Pretty much sums up what I saw when I was at the dealer the other day. The sloping roofline is popular now and totally defeats the purpose. If you care about who sits in the back seat, forget it. I've driven a rental Matrix in the past and I honestly saw no point to the car - there's no extra "wagon" space in there, and the interior was crappier than a Corolla.

I grew up with a '84 Tercel wagon 4WD. That wasn't a hot hatch or anything but it was loads more useful than the Matrix.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:21 PM

I was able to fit a full 56 cm bike flat with both wheels on in the back of a matrix car I test drove. Only didn’t buy it because the blind spots combined with the vague steering were scary. Otherwise a functional, surprisingly fun car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Pretty much sums up what I saw when I was at the dealer the other day. The sloping roofline is popular now and totally defeats the purpose. If you care about who sits in the back seat, forget it. I've driven a rental Matrix in the past and I honestly saw no point to the car - there's no extra "wagon" space in there, and the interior was crappier than a Corolla.

I grew up with a '84 Tercel wagon 4WD. That wasn't a hot hatch or anything but it was loads more useful than the Matrix.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:34 PM

Chevy Bolt advert

Only electric car: that costs less than $40k, has 240 mile range
AND only electric car at this price point thst fits TWO bikes inside
without taking front wheels off.
Don’t get me started on the other, manifold advantages of driving
an all electric car.
Loud and dirty vs quiet and clean
and
faster!
Old 11-01-2018, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
It's a cool car and it caught my eye as well. My wife had a 2005 Corolla S that was a great car. I do have a feeling the poor view out of the car at the year would be pretty bad as another poster said. I test drove an new Venza when they came out and the terrible view out the back was a non-starter for me.

I like the idea of a hatch, but with two growing kids I'd really prefer something like a Camry XSE hatch (that doesn't exist) if and when it makes sense to move along my '03 Camry XLE.
Camry wagon does exist but not in the USA. Called Avensis and even comes in manual transmission diesel! Nice looking car. Wish that or the ford mondeo wagon was an option here. Camry wagon hybrid Awd would be great. Basically a wagon Highlander hybrid.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
.... I've actually been looking at the VW GTI. Yeah, I know... get rid of one of the most reliable vehicles in the world for a VW? But the VWs are currently available with a 6-year 72K miles warranty
and I would get rid of it long before that. In the end, I think I just want to buy a new car with a manual transmission before it is impossible to do so.
Golf GTIs are great cars: they take an MTB or two with the back seats down and front wheels off. Put a roof or hitch rack on it and fill it wth people and stuff. Good visibility, great handling and power for the money. Much better interiors than the (somewhat less expensive) Subies and Toyotas. If you need 4WD, pay extra for the R.

And 6MT. So much better 95% of the time. Plus, no kid or dilettante will ever ask to borrow it!
Old 11-01-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
Golf GTIs are great cars: they take an MTB or two with the back seats down and front wheels off. Put a roof or hitch rack on it and fill it wth people and stuff. Good visibility, great handling and power for the money. Much better interiors than the (somewhat less expensive) Subies and Toyotas. If you need 4WD, pay extra for the R.

And 6MT. So much better 95% of the time. Plus, no kid or dilettante will ever ask to borrow it!
Still no where close to the overall reliability of Toyotas and Hondas. Otherwise, a VW Golf would definitely be one I would check out. For now, still driving my Acura TSX wagon, a model they no longer make.

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 11-01-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:43 PM

Tsx?
Old 11-01-2018, 02:55 PM

[QUOTE= The '18 Honda checked all the boxes. Bike fits (no problem!). check. Manual trans. check. 180HP/6500rpm redline. check. Mileage (32+mpg commuting). check. Fits 5. check. FUN to drove (sport suspension, stock 18 rims 235/40 tires, sticks in the corners). check. Honda quality and reliability (hopefully check). Plus it looks great with center mounted exhaust. Better looking then the Corolla IMHO. Under 25k out the door (tax title license extended 10yr/100K mile bumper to bumper warranty). Built in the UK for the primary market for hot hatch cars, which is the EU.[/QUOTE]

+1 on Honda Civic - I got exactly this car for exactly these reasons and it may be the best car I've ever purchased. The only thing I would add is that my 63cm bike fits in the WITH the wheels on and the front seat all the way back.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:20 PM

My experience with my GTI was solid. I owned it from 20 miles to 110,000 miles. Then I sold it because I wanted a 4-door wagon. In that time period I only did oil changes and the 70,000 timing belt replacement. Nothing went wrong with the GTI and the only things I replaced were blown tail light bulbs.

Perhaps I got lucky? I am not sure. I did take care of my car. Proper oil changes at the proper time. Did not rev the engine when the engine was cold. Did not use my car for short trips where the engine does not get to warm up etc etc.

I do realize many people have had worse experiences. But this was mine. And I would buy another GTI in a heartbeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Still no where close to the overall reliability of Toyotas and Hondas. Otherwise, a VW Golf would definitely be one I would check out. For now, still driving my Acura TLX wagon, a model they no longer make.

Tim