Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2018, 10:49 AM

Consider Honda Ciivic hatch sport 1.5L turbo 6-speed

My '00 Audi A4 Avant (wagon) 2.8 5-speed finally needed more work that it was worth. The '18 Honda checked all the boxes. Bike fits (no problem!). check. Manual trans. check. 180HP/6500rpm redline. check. Mileage (32+mpg commuting). check. Fits 5. check. FUN to drove (sport suspension, stock 18 rims 235/40 tires, sticks in the corners). check. Honda quality and reliability (hopefully check). Plus it looks great with center mounted exhaust. Better looking then the Corolla IMHO. Under 25k out the door (tax title license extended 10yr/100K mile bumper to bumper warranty). Built in the UK for the primary market for hot hatch cars, which is the EU.

--Sheldon Brown
Old 10-12-2018, 11:04 AM
bykhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I'm in that sorry club, too. The only reason I still own the car (Forester, 10) is that I was forced to spend so much money on the engine when driving across the country two years ago, that I can't rationalize another car for a few years. But, believe it or not, the new Crosstek is on my short list. The Korean machines sure look like much better values to me with those 100000 mile warranties, especially after my experience with Subaru.
I wasn't going to admit it in public, but I've also considered the new Crosstrek.

My wife also drives an Outback, but the (really nice) 3.6R. We've been talking about downsizing to one Outback and a small hatch, such as the Corolla, Golf, or maybe even the Kia Niro.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
I wasn't going to admit it in public, but I've also considered the new Crosstrek.

My wife also drives an Outback, but the (really nice) 3.6R. We've been talking about downsizing to one Outback and a small hatch, such as the Corolla, Golf, or maybe even the Kia Niro.
Well if you decide to sell the Subaru, I am not too far, and would love to check it out.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Which model Honda? Is it AWD like the quattro?

I want an AWD japanese wagon that is not a subaru... and not an SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post
My '00 Audi A4 Avant (wagon) 2.8 5-speed finally needed more work that it was worth. The '18 Honda checked all the boxes. Bike fits (no problem!). check. Manual trans. check. 180HP/6500rpm redline. check. Mileage (32+mpg commuting). check. Fits 5. check. FUN to drove (sport suspension, stock 18 rims 235/40 tires, sticks in the corners). check. Honda quality and reliability (hopefully check). Plus it looks great with center mounted exhaust. Better looking then the Corolla IMHO. Under 25k out the door (tax title license extended 10yr/100K mile bumper to bumper warranty). Built in the UK for the primary market for hot hatch cars, which is the EU.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
If this wagon were AWD, the choice would already be made. now i have to decide how much i need AWD. Dont like reading about issues with subarus, that was top of my list, so whats the game now with AWD wagons? whos on top?
VW Alltrack?
Wait till the end of the year or early spring and they will sell them with huge discounts (at least last year they did, 30%).
Almost pulled the trigger in spring on a 2018 but found out that for the '19 models they increased the warranty from 4 to 6 years and decided to wait.

BMW 328d xdrive looks very tempting too but is in a different (price) league.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post

same here!
Old 10-12-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post

It was in the subject line (which makes things confusing as you don't see them in quotes:

Quote:
Consider Honda Ciivic hatch sport 1.5L turbo 6-speed
The Civic hatch looks great, but I wish it had a higher roofline in the cargo area.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:57 AM
That guy..

honda FIT!
Old 10-12-2018, 08:48 PM

Looks like the perfect cyclist’s car . . . once you drive it, you’ll want to ride your bike EVERYWHERE.

I’ve got a Matrix. Unlike others here, I hate it. Yeah, the utility is great, but it’s a total dog, gets mediocre gas mileage, has super loud road noise, rattles, shakes, and generally just feels cheap (maybe cuz it is). I’ve been thru just about every front suspension part and 2 rounds of wheel bearings. It refuses to die, but since it’s basically fully depreciated, I just endure it’s sucktitude and spend the money on bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2018, 08:52 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Eying this myself having just sold my 2004 Matrix I ordered new in 2003. Rear brakes original(drums!), original exhaust, hit 5 times, painted three. Looked like hell but only needed a 43 dollar sensor besides wear items. Threw the bike in with both wheels on. Oil stayed up and clean with regular changes....best vehicle Ive ever owned. Daughter went to grad school on the west coast so driving her Ford that was a gift from grandma. JUNK!
No Volvo for you?
Old 10-12-2018, 09:29 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKev View Post

Well, I ski, and I ski powder, which requires a machine I can drive into the middle of a nor'easter with confidence. Subarus do just that, with ease. I've owned little hatchbacks in the 80s and 90s and loved them, but, must have AWD. And room for a bike and luggage and stuff, with an alarm that goes off like a war if somebody gets curious.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:13 PM

Last edited by dancinkozmo; 10-13-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:41 PM

Honda Civic sport is not AWD

[QUOTE=jh_on_the_cape;2439420]Which model Honda? Is it AWD like the quattro?

But neither is the Corolla. All trak is worth a look. Friend has one and likes it. No manual though but does have paddle shifters. Gas mileage is not as good as my Honda.

--Sheldon Brown
Old 10-13-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
No Volvo for you?
Grad school for the young one. I drive 3000 miles a year max. Hard to justify one now...……..good question
Old 10-13-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
We had a new Forester (back when the looked a bit cooler) and it was pretty good for the first 50K miles. After that the huge sunroof stopped working, the drivers heated seat stopped working at other interior trim started coming apart. Then (of course) we had to have over $2000 engine at 100K miles. I would say that maybe we had a bum Forester but I've had a few friends with lousy luck including the late model Foresters. (And Google Subaru oil use, it's nuts that they have been fighting this issue with their customers).

I just sold a 20-year-old 4Runner to a good friend. Fantastic truck. I replaced it with a new 2018 Runner. Again great truck but I wish it was the size of my 98. Other than 18mph it is the ultimate bike vehicle. Mainly because I like putting two bikes securely inside the truck, still have room for other stuff and you can park on any soft shoulder or trail and not get stuck.

That said, I'm kind of rolling around the idea of trading it in as I find the size a bit cumbersome for darting around city traffic. I've actually been looking at the VW GTI. Yeah, I know... get rid of one of the most reliable vehicles in the world for a VW? But the VWs are currently available with a 6-year 72K miles warranty
and I would get rid of it long before that. In the end, I think I just want to buy a new car with a manual transmission before it is impossible to do so.
Sounds like that blue car in the OP with a manual would be a great toy er car for you. I will heed your Subaru experience with words of wisdom. As I just recently, a month or so ago purchased a 2009 Outback 2.5i with a 135k on the clock. It's gotta 5 speed manual and the pleather trim with lots of lighting and nooks and crannies to stow stuff. It replaced my 2002 GMC Sierra, standard cab, with the 8 ft. bed Z71. Great bones but needed some work to pass Ma. inspection and a whole lot more to be fixed completely whole. The Subie isn't perfect but it seems like a capable beast for the money. I really don't know much but it came with a crapload of dates on the carfax and some receipts for service in the glove box, lol. I did trade the truck for an expensive 2yr./24k mile soup to nuts warranty that covers everything except tires, pads and rotors. I dunno I'm smitten with the awd and pleather seats. I like the manual transmission it's drivers car in that regard and really just kinda fun in a zippy way. Also doesn't hurt that the car came with a receiver hitch and gets 10 more mpg than the ole 5.3L V8. Although I will miss the automatic transmission, sitting up higher in traffic and the ability a 8ft. bed has at swallowing just about anything including 1/2 of a cord of firewood. However it just makes no sense to me to have a empty bed 95% of the time I'm driving around. Having said that I wonder just how far one can push the limits of small cars in work as well as play? The Honda Fit guy has me thinking sum....