Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
I live in Germany. As I'm sure everyone know, we make cars.

I ride all the time. In the city, outside the city, on small country roads, on big heavy traffic roads.

The only time I read stories like this is from my U.S. American cycling friends. I have been told by drivers to follow the rules often here. Mostly, the drivers are correct - i was riding on the road where there was a bike lane.

But why are the lives of my U.S. American cyclist friends always in danger? What makes U.S. American drivers so aggressive?

Help my understand.
Because we are bullies. this is what i have learned about this country this last year. we are straight up bullies and like it. its the same reasons we like guns so much, it makes us feel real tough and invincible. I think at the end of the day we are simply cultural angry teenagers who have no idea what we want to be when we grow up and the world is like changing real fast and its hard and scary.

other countries have already gone trough all this identity crisis crap and have realized living in harmony is simply easier and less draining than always being defensive.

can you tell im ready to move to a culture who understand life? we certainly dont here in the USA. we understand productivity, but not life.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Because we are bullies. this is what i have learned about this country this last year. we are straight up bullies and like it. its the same reasons we like guns so much, it makes us feel real tough and invincible. I think at the end of the day we are simply cultural angry teenagers who have no idea what we want to be when we grow up and the world is like changing real fast and its hard and scary.
Straight up disagree.

This thread started as an experience with an a-hole driver, please keep it on topic. It's starting to diverge into political/racial commentary.

William
Old 10-12-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
I did a 70 mile ride last week. One guy passed me pretty close. When I caught up to him at a stop sign, he seemed to be waiting for me as there were no cars coming from the other directions. I went ahead and looked back at him and of course he flipped me off. I just smiled and laughed. It was so predictable.

It's unfortunate that of all the cars that passed me in the 70 mile ride, this one is the one I remember. Statistically it's a real outlier. 99.9% of people out there are considerate. Just remember that. Yeah, it's that 0.1% that really bothers you, but it's not the norm. Who knows what was going on with that guy that day, but it's not just about you on a bike riding down the road. That person was pissed before you came along.

I've also thought at times that being a type of minority on the road is a little lesson in how other minorities are treated, only we're not treated nearly so badly. Most of us are white males and we're used to having our way. Being treated as a not-so-privileged minority can be a real lesson in how others have to navigate through life as minorities. It's not easy.

I will throw this out there, too. I ride with an Italian Bike Mirror on the end of my left handlebar drop. So I can see cars coming most of the time. I practice the 'stupid drunk cyclist' routine all the time when there are cars approaching a little too close. I ride like I'm a total noobie and swerve unpredictably into the road every now and then as if I'm dodging potholes (when cars are a bit behind me but not right behind me). It often wakes up the driver - 'whoa, what is that idiot cyclist doing?' and they move over just to stay away from the idiot (me). If you ride like the seasoned pro you actually are and stick to a perfect line up the right side of the road, they don't notice you and/or they think they can cut it really close cuz you are riding a perfectly straight line down the road. Well, don't. Be a little unpredictable so they notice you. It does work. If they honk their horn at you, all the better - you've got their attention.
I ride drunken when riding with my wife. i always stay behind and when cars approach use your wiggle moves. This seems to cause them to slow and react. ill always take a honk, and return it with a wave.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:01 PM

hahahaha
Old 10-12-2018, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
hahahaha
Yeah, I think is funny too.

William
Old 10-12-2018, 12:23 PM

150 lbs on two wheels will never beat 2 tons on four in a standoff, so not getting into a physical confrontation is the best course of action for all parties involved. Just sucks having to be the calmer, reasonable party when the other one has an butt-kicking coming his way.

I think the most American thing to do is to start riding with a gun in the back pocket of your jersey. lol
Old 10-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
And he tells me "Well, we can do two things. If you want to file an official complaint we can get started with the paperwork...but there's a lot of it, and then it'll take a long time for this to get anywhere near a courtroom. Or, I can have a couple of off-duty patrolmen pay this guy a visit and convince him why he should never do anything like this again. Your call."
There was a guy near here that was harassing cyclists on a regular basis. Coal rolling, close passing. He apparently would wait for cyclists to go by and then go harass them. Unfortunately for him, he lived next door to the parents of one of the guys that owns the LBS. They recognized the vehicle. Next thing you know there were 5 cop cars parked out front of the guy's house and they had a come to Jesus meeting. I really don't see anything wrong with this, there have been no further incidents.

He lives on PA state bike route G.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
There was a guy near here that was harassing cyclists on a regular basis. Coal rolling, close passing. He apparently would wait for cyclists to go by and then go harass them. Unfortunately for him, he lived next door to the parents of one of the guys that owns the LBS. They recognized the vehicle. Next thing you know there were 5 cop cars parked out front of the guy's house and they had a come to Jesus meeting. I really don't see anything wrong with this, there have been no further incidents.

William
Old 10-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Coal rolling, close passing. He apparently would wait for cyclists to go by and then go harass them.
I get why people would harass cyclists. Some just want to watch the world burn and cyclists are easy targets.

But the rolling coal thing... I really just don't understand. Here, let me inject more fuel than the cyclinders can combust, waste it out the exhaust, and make a huge mess all over everything including any portion of my truck that is aft of the exhausts. Then once that's done, I'll complain about the price of diesel. ***.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

In all these 'doom and gloom' scenarios our German friend is reading what we're missing telling him are the 99% of the people pass us safely.

Yeah, that ONE idiot stands out, but for the most part, people are pretty good.

Unlike GER tho, our standard of driving falls woefully short of the mark. It's not easy to get a license in GER. ...and it's very expensive. Here? Just try denying someone a license!

Lane discipline? What's that?!

etc

M
Old 10-12-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyaugustus View Post
150 lbs on two wheels will never beat 2 tons on four in a standoff, so not getting into a physical confrontation is the best course of action for all parties involved. Just sucks having to be the calmer, reasonable party when the other one has an butt-kicking coming his way.

I think the most American thing to do is to start riding with a gun in the back pocket of your jersey. lol
Exactly this! If someone loses their mind in this scenario and they happen to be behind a 2-4 ton vehicle, you are never going to win that war.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
In all these 'doom and gloom' scenarios our German friend is reading what we're missing telling him are the 99% of the people pass us safely.

Yeah, that ONE idiot stands out, but for the most part, people are pretty good...

M
Yes, the news would be pretty boring if they reported daily that 325.6 million people in the U.S. today went about their business living their lives and didn't get into trouble. It is the small minority of trouble makers that get the attention on a daily basis skewing the optics.

William

Oh, and PS:
Old 10-12-2018, 12:57 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC. View Post
Exactly this! If someone loses their mind in this scenario and they happen to be behind a 2-4 ton vehicle, you are never going to win that war.
That's why you find out where they live and slash their tires while they sleep.

Joking.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:44 PM

Threads like this bring back the memory of the one and only time I've been "bumped" off the road by a vehicle. I've shared it before, late '90's fendered off Hwy 1 north of Pt Reyes Station by a Marin County Sherriff.

You want to feel helpless? Try pursuing justice in such an instance. Just like doctors, LEOs look after their own.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:05 PM

Op

At least he didn't turn around and come straight at you like a dick head did to our group ride last summer. Caused a wreck in our group after a couple riders touched their brakes thinking this guy was going to plow our group. And no, he didn't stop. Probably laughed. Trip to the E.R. for one of our riders. I happened to be on the front of the group too. Talk about scary.