Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmdr View Post
I also wonder why people say its much more fun with 650b's.....
People say it's more fun because of the tires and where you can ride.

700c/29x28mm tires is about the same size as 650b/27.5x47mm, so you'll still have the same bike geometry just 19mm more tire so loads more traction. Also you can reduce the pressure a bunch, which also helps with traction and comfort when off road. Top speed on tarmac will be lower with the smaller wheels.

As for rims, anything below 450g or so should be fine in terms of spin-up feel so there's plenty of options no matter the budget. The XR361 looks like a great combo as well, especially like the asymmetric spoke hole pattern which allows all the spokes to be the same length and evens tension a bunch.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:58 PM
aka RAEKWON

yeah there is nothing more fun than a 2.1 650b tire on a road bike...

I bet the 54mm 26" tire is also super fun though.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
People say it's more fun because of the tires and where you can ride.

700c/29x28mm tires is about the same size as 650b/27.5x47mm, so you'll still have the same bike geometry just 19mm more tire so loads more traction. Also you can reduce the pressure a bunch, which also helps with traction and comfort when off road. Top speed on tarmac will be lower with the smaller wheels.

As for rims, anything below 450g or so should be fine in terms of spin-up feel so there's plenty of options no matter the budget. The XR361 looks like a great combo as well, especially like the asymmetric spoke hole pattern which allows all the spokes to be the same length and evens tension a bunch.
Awesome!!! Thanks for the explanation... will look into trying out those 650b's

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 09:18 AM
'97 Ti Legend

ebauman has a set of new XTR 27.5 wheels, if the TA options work for the frame, these would work well for your needs, and at $350 for a ~$1,500 wheel, they are dirt cheap.

Here is the link, says sold, but his last post says he has another pair. May still be available.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=217038&page=3
Old 09-17-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
ebauman has a set of new XTR 27.5 wheels, if the TA options work for the frame, these would work well for your needs, and at $350 for a ~$1,500 wheel, they are dirt cheap.

Here is the link, says sold, but his last post says he has another pair. May still be available.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=217038&page=3
Those wheels are an insane deal with a few caveats;
-The ID is a rather narrow 20mm. As long as you don't intend going much wider than a 2" tire the ID should be enough.
-XTR hubs have no ability to switch axle standards, so you're basically stuck with the sizing you get unless the dropouts of your frame and fork are designed to play well with the various slip-in adapters.
-The cost of a replacement rim WILL be more than the cost of a new wheelset in case you ever damage one. This shouldn't be a problem as the carbon/alloy Shimano rims have proven to be nigh indestructible

But if the above aren't important issues then there's probably no better bang per buck than those XTRs for 650B/27.5.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:59 PM

I have DT XR331s laced with White Industries CLD rear and Shutter Precision front on my Chapman. I really love these wheels, and the rims feel much more confidence inspiring than my Enve rims did. Granted, one of the Enve rims bowed mysteriously on the side of the rim, hence the switch to the DTs. The wheels with the DT rims are a bit lighter. Noticeable on a scale, but not sure I notice the weight difference on the road. The 361s also seem nice given the asymmetrical option. I like OldPotato's idea of using one of those in the rear and a 331 in the front.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:54 PM
Recreational User

I have been happy with my WTB i23s (Shutter precision dynamo hub), but there are lots of good options and these were just what initially came on the bike.

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?"
Old 09-18-2018, 06:50 AM

Great suggestions.

I also thought that there would be some smokin’ deals out there, e.g., last year’s MTB wheel sets being dumped to make way for new models. The XTR’s would be perfect except the fact the freehub will only take a 10 speed cassette.

I believe I’m looking at DT Swiss 350’s laced to either 331s or 361s.

I’m still looking for close outs or used. Those XTRs are so close...
Old 09-18-2018, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Great suggestions.

I also thought that there would be some smokin’ deals out there, e.g., last year’s MTB wheel sets being dumped to make way for new models. The XTR’s would be perfect except the fact the freehub will only take a 10 speed cassette.

I believe I’m looking at DT Swiss 350’s laced to either 331s or 361s.

I’m still looking for close outs or used. Those XTRs are so close...
shimano makes some 11s MTB cogsets that will work and the newish Ultegra 11s cogset..11 something..on 10s FHB. OR let me know and I'll build ya a DT350/331/361...
Old 09-18-2018, 10:17 AM

Build your own!

Accepts up to 2" tire.

https://pacenticycledesign.com/colle...-rear-rim-27-5