Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 11:30 AM

related to this 1X discussion, as well as drivetrain efficiency of it: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...inrings-51581/
Old 01-19-2018, 11:32 AM

Could someone refill my popcorn?

Instagram
Old 01-19-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Really, so if you changed your mind, had a workable LH shifter or guts and front der..and you wanted to go back to 2by..you'd have to buy a rear der??
Yeah, here's why:

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/t...extwvxd3hgnlzr

The X-Horizon moves horizontally in and out across the bike, and the derailleur maintains chain gap by use of an offset upper pulley. It tracks the cassette as the cage moves to maintain chain tension through the gear range. If you add a two ring crank and front derailleur, the chain gap will be thrown off when you shift the front mechanism.

It's optimized for 1x at the expense of incompatibility with 2x drivetrains.

Ed.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
related to this 1X discussion, as well as drivetrain efficiency of it: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...inrings-51581/
Interesting. I wonder how long that Teflon coating lasts. I sincerely appreciate several here educating me on some of the downsides of 1X / gravel use. Perhaps I was painting an overly one-sided picture. Good stuff! Regardless I still love the quiet / sold feel of a 1X clutch system over the rough stuff, maintenance, and easy cleaning. Anyway, below are some more open-minded thoughts and questions for the experts here (dead horse be damned ). I'm ready to be educated!

Another question...maybe a middle ground between the two. Are there any off the shelf clutch 2X drivetrains out there? As noted in this thread it sounds like you can't use a Force1 rear der with a double chain ring. I know clutch derailleurs for MTBs have been around for some time, but wondering if there is anything road/cx specific.

I really liked the Sram Red 10 speed set up that I had on my old CX/Gravel bike. Very light, and Red 10 speed is pretty inexpensive these days. Red 10 is a great option I think. Back to my question above: I was using an 11-36 cassette with a Sram XX mtb der (to accommodate the 36T cog)...so maybe I could have found a clutch Sram 10 speed mtb/long cage rear der. Did Sram ever make a clutch mtb 10 speed rear der?

Regardless, I love reading about creative ways informed consumers use to solve real-world cycling problems. I hope Sram / Shimano / FSA are listening!

-Wayne
Old 01-19-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post

I really liked the Sram Red 10 speed set up that I had on my old CX/Gravel bike. Very light, and Red 10 speed is pretty inexpensive these days. Red 10 is a great option I think. Back to my question above: I was using an 11-36 cassette with a Sram XX mtb der (to accommodate the 36T cog)...so maybe I could have found a clutch Sram 10 speed mtb/long cage rear der. Did Sram ever make a clutch mtb 10 speed rear der?

-Wayne
Yes, I've used sram xo Mtb clutch mtb RD with road shifters in 2x systems. They work great. The med. cage can easily handle 36t rear cog.

I've successfully used a SRAM 10sp mtn RD on both 10 speed and 11 speed road shifters.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesbrigade View Post
Yes, I've used sram xo Mtb clutch mtb RD with road shifters in 2x systems. They work great. The med. cage can easily handle 36t rear cog.

I've successfully used a SRAM 10sp mtn RD on both 10 speed and 11 speed road shifters.
That’s great to hear. I will then submit that a Red 10 setup with a nice SRAM med cage XO or XX clutch/MTB rear der is a nice, fairly economical option to use for a gravel bike. It preserves top-end, very light, probably minimize chain slap and quieter over the rough stuff. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
this one: https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...7qbx12b6i864i9

pretty sure you could use that with double chainrings as well; made before they updated the clutch mechanism. also, I'm pretty sure the 11 speed MTB stuff will work with 10 speed shifters. definitely works that way for road/CX stuff.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
As Wayne77 mentioned, there's no real downside to running a "regular" left shifter with guts if you're using Shimano (or Campy). Its a few extra grams, but remains useful if you decide to go back to 2x or switch the levers to another bike.
I wanted to consult the Paceline braintrust if I may. I’m in the process of gathering parts for a mcx build. I’m going to run ST-RS685 shifters with BR-RS785 hydro brakes and will want to run it 2x down the road. To save some money i’m probably running it 1x for a while until i’m ready to pull the trigger on the WI R30 crankset. I have a 10 speed SRAM Red compact crank that i’m going to run 1x as a place holder. That’s the general backstory, and now that I’ve managed to completely bury the lead i’ll get to it.

With ST-RS685 front shifter, if I just run the front shifter 1x, will it want to move/flop around at all? I don’t think it would as it feel pretty solid with no cable, but wanted to check to see if any of you have done this and can confirm.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I wanted to consult the Paceline braintrust if I may. I’m in the process of gathering parts for a mcx build. I’m going to run ST-RS685 shifters with BR-RS785 hydro brakes and will want to run it 2x down the road. To save some money i’m probably running it 1x for a while until i’m ready to pull the trigger on the WI R30 crankset. I have a 10 speed SRAM Red compact crank that i’m going to run 1x as a place holder. That’s the general backstory, and now that I’ve managed to completely bury the lead i’ll get to it.

With ST-RS685 front shifter, if I just run the front shifter 1x, will it want to move/flop around at all? I don’t think it would as it feel pretty solid with no cable, but wanted to check to see if any of you have done this and can confirm.
Have done it, will not flop.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
Have done it, will not flop.
Great thanks for the confirmation. In your opinion was there any downside?
Old 04-11-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Great thanks for the confirmation. In your opinion was there any downside?
Not really! A non-clutch derailleur out back is louder (slappier) than a clutch one, but chain security with a n/w ring is still very good with the right chain length.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:08 PM

Back on the topic of road 1x with Campy...

I did road 1x with Campy a year or two back. Worked totally fine. Didn't have a clutch derailleur or a fancy wide-narrow/wave-tooth/whatever drop-stop verbiage chainring.

It worked great. I ran a 50 up front with an 11-28 for riding Florida flats. Used a Rotor Q ring and it was still fine. Only dropped the chain 1 time in about 3000 miles of riding it with that setup, and it was due to my own stupidity - got cocky and shifted under extremely heavy load while standing up and going up a bridge.

Sounds like your setup ought to work nicely provided you've chosen reasonable high and lows gear ratios for your area. With the 1x spidering I wouldn't worry at all about a chain popping off.