Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
[/B]

This is interesting. I see your point, and I agree. To some extent, I think I fell sway to the marketing hype of the "unicorn gravel bikes." I'm sure if I road a gravel bike with 40c tires and drops, versus a flat bar hardtail with 2.25s over rutted and steep fire roads, I'd prefer the latter.

There's some really good responses on this thread. I'm actually going to take Houston's advice on a 100mm travel hardtail. (I don't have any need for a full suss, nothing I ride requires it)
My next bike will be a gravel bike (I plan to sell my current road and gravel bike). So, I think there is a very good place for gravel bikes in the Bay Area. Probably a way better name for a Bay Area gravel bike is an All Road bike. As other mention gravel bikes work very well when riding a route of fire roads and paved roads. Also I ride them a lot to shoot up Mt Tam fast on the dirt and descend on the pavement. What I like about MTB is that I don’t get beaten up on it during longish rides and that it does open new doors to trails and routes I normal will not do on a gravel bike.

My current MTB set is a 120mm fork with a 150mm dropper. I could see going full suspension, like a Santa Cruz Blur, but that’s about it.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:35 PM

In defense of Rigid MTB

The default for me in Marin is a Ti hardtail 29er for sure; you can ride pretty much everywhere with it.

There is a simplicity to riding the rigid 29er that I really enjoy. The bar height stays constant and wheels stays more connected in feel as you go around tight switchbacks. You have to be hyper aware of the lines you pick, be thoughtful where the rear wheel is in a rock garden. For me I have to be much more attentive to the trails, need to anticipate more, deploy more vocabulary in my body english for every ride. It's a more vivid experience.

Now if your goal is just to aimlessly roam or go balls out in a race or just to get a good work out, a modern carbon short travel FS might be worth considering. Make sure you get one with space for two water bottles if you plan to go long. I have an Epic and it's much faster on the down hill and I want to bunny hop off every ledge I can find. It is actually faster uphill in many places like sections of Tamo or the upper Eldridge where you can put the power down the rear will just hook up and go. And, of course, duals will save you from silly mistakes as you bunk at the end of a long ride. It's my go to for 5 hours + rides.

Or just stick to the Ti hardtail.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:16 PM

I often ride similar terrain along the Colorado Front Range. I have multiple rigs that suit this, but my Moots Baxter is the favorite. It’s spendy, granted, but for me it’s the perfect bike for this application. Sublime ride with 2.1” Thunder Burts.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:30 PM

I've got a carbon frame, fox fork and wheels that will fit the XC hardtail bill in your size. PM for details if interested.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I often ride similar terrain along the Colorado Front Range. I have multiple rigs that suit this, but my Moots Baxter is the favorite. It’s spendy, granted, but for me it’s the perfect bike for this application. Sublime ride with 2.1” Thunder Burts.
If do’t mind me asking, do you have a suspension fork on the Baxter? If so, what is it like to ride in the drops on the downs?
Old 09-20-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinRider View Post
The default for me in Marin is a Ti hardtail 29er for sure; you can ride pretty much everywhere with it.

There is a simplicity to riding the rigid 29er that I really enjoy. The bar height stays constant and wheels stays more connected in feel as you go around tight switchbacks. You have to be hyper aware of the lines you pick, be thoughtful where the rear wheel is in a rock garden. For me I have to be much more attentive to the trails, need to anticipate more, deploy more vocabulary in my body english for every ride. It's a more vivid experience.

Now if your goal is just to aimlessly roam or go balls out in a race or just to get a good work out, a modern carbon short travel FS might be worth considering. Make sure you get one with space for two water bottles if you plan to go long. I have an Epic and it's much faster on the down hill and I want to bunny hop off every ledge I can find. It is actually faster uphill in many places like sections of Tamo or the upper Eldridge where you can put the power down the rear will just hook up and go. And, of course, duals will save you from silly mistakes as you bunk at the end of a long ride. It's my go to for 5 hours + rides.

Or just stick to the Ti hardtail.
Very well-phrased. That's what I thought about my rigid Ti mtb. But, I'm getting a "gravel" bike with room for 45c tires, so there's too much overlap with a rigid MTB. A short travel hardtail seems like a good option.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
I've got a carbon frame, fox fork and wheels that will fit the XC hardtail bill in your size. PM for details if interested.
I'm all good, but thank you.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:39 PM

It depends on you as a rider and your likes and skills. I rode a drop bar Yeti for years back when I thought I was John Tomac but it's hard work and less safe. You do get style points and all the chicks though. Certainly can be rewarding.

You didn't mention budget but if you want a great riding hardtail to toss around you could do much worse than spending $2700 on this Kona. You can spend more, or way more and have a custom bike but you won't have any more fun IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 8.33.50 PM.jpg (61.5 KB, 133 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
My next bike will be a gravel bike (I plan to sell my current road and gravel bike). So, I think there is a very good place for gravel bikes in the Bay Area. Probably a way better name for a Bay Area gravel bike is an All Road bike. As other mention gravel bikes work very well when riding a route of fire roads and paved roads. Also I ride them a lot to shoot up Mt Tam fast on the dirt and descend on the pavement. What I like about MTB is that I don’t get beaten up on it during longish rides and that it does open new doors to trails and routes I normal will not do on a gravel bike.

My current MTB set is a 120mm fork with a 150mm dropper. I could see going full suspension, like a Santa Cruz Blur, but that’s about it.
Another Built? Or something else? If only there was room at the inn for the Festka...
Old 09-21-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinRider View Post
If do’t mind me asking, do you have a suspension fork on the Baxter? If so, what is it like to ride in the drops on the downs?
I’ve got the ENVE carbon MTB fork. I also have one on a steel 29er single speed. It’s a fantastic fork for fire roads. I haven’t even considered suspension on the Baxter.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:53 AM

I should pay closer attention as I missed the part about a rigid MTB.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:11 PM

This thread inspired me to take my rigid mountain bike out for a ride today, and it reminded me of why east bay mountain bike riding is so depressing.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:08 AM
Vendor

I split my SF Bay Area dirt riding across a FS 29er, rigid 29er, and drop bar gravel (700x38s). I'm in SF so getting out to Marin requires a bit of time on the road. For fireroad riding in Marin, I switch between the gravel and rigid 29er. It's more fun to rip the descents on the rigid 29er, but the gravel bike is faster on the road. I think if all I was interested in riding were the fireroads I'd get hard tail or rigid 29er.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:48 AM
n - 1

If I were doing fireroads only, I’d get either a Salsa Cutthroat (dropbar) or an XC hardtail with a rigid fork. No way would I get any sort of suspension. All that bobbing up climbs—no thanks. If you absolutely had to, get a Lauf.

Also remember there are some plush, high volume, fast rolling tires available. I usually run 20psi and the ride is smooth.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
If I were doing fireroads only, I’d get either a Salsa Cutthroat (dropbar) or an XC hardtail with a rigid fork. No way would I get any sort of suspension. All that bobbing up climbs—no thanks. If you absolutely had to, get a Lauf.
Suspension lockout is useful stuff.