Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Wisco has lots of good riding, road and mtb. For the latter, don't forget hunting season is coming up.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Lived a couple of streets away from and worked with Saab's parents as he was growing up and we connected through the world of cycling. I think he left a 531 Peugeot I sold him in a dumpster in Switzerland

Good riding here; great in terms of access (10 min and I'm on rural roads) traffic is relatively good, roads are good-very good. I do miss longer climbs and mountains, but I get to ride a lot without a huge time investment to get somewhere.

The "up-north" riding in the OPs post is really amazing (although you have big chunks or territory with amazing roads but without cell service if you need a ride home -- but there are quite a few bars with pay phones)

Just had a fellow biathlete do 50 miles (!) of rollerskiing on those county trails over a day and a half.

Madison is much like the People's Republic of Boulder; pricey to live, politically quite different than most of the rest of the state, great food and lots of folks on bikes.

And lots of fat-bikers in the winter
All true!

I am probably somewhat aligned with the free-spirited Madisonans. A day in Mad-Town when I was younger was always great!
Old 09-20-2019, 05:21 PM

I just spent the past weekend riding in the Mineral Point / Hollandale / Dodgeville area as part of a celebration of Fausto Coppi's 100th birthday. Great riding, challenging climbs, great roads, courteous drivers - just a great time all around.

Compact doubles or triples will be your friend. A couple of climbs at a steady 15%, and one had an 18% kicker at the top.

Will definitely be back to ride in that area again. Cell coverage was iffy at best, on AT&T which was a surprise. other networks may be better in that area.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:57 PM
aka mbrt

Living and riding in Chicago, I love riding in Wisconsin. I do the spring and fall century rides in Door County and we spend about four days in Manitowish Waters in early October. Wisconsin is just a beautiful part of the world.

Ray
Old 09-20-2019, 07:23 PM

Real good eh?
Old 09-20-2019, 08:21 PM

Spent last weekend riding with a bunch of old guys riding old bikes at the Coppi Centenario event in Hollandale.

Once again, some of the best riding EVER.

Steep hills, tho...
Old 09-20-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
I live on the far west side of Madison; the doorstep to some of the best riding in the country. I love it.
Probably 5 miles southwest of you and I'd certainly agree.

Winter is long and tough, but it keeps out the riff-raff.