Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 01:47 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Including a seatpost!

M
And pedals. Also, look close near the outside edge of the box, there's a groove that goes from top left to the right and all the way to the bottom left which holds the cable housing and inner cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
Not Campy, looks like a Zeus gruppo to me.
Good eye....it is a Zeus New Racer group.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Last week, I traded in one of my bikes at a local bike shop for $1100. They gave me a gift card to buy anything I want in the store.
Just out of curiosity, what did you trade in that they were willing to give you $1100 for? Shops are notorious for offering low trade-in values.

Texbike
Old 09-02-2019, 02:17 PM

I thought 11 speed waaas the latest and greatest...
Old 09-02-2019, 02:20 PM

I had a battery die on me while out riding yesterday. First time it’s happened. Not really an issue with Etap 2x, since you can switch front and rear and make it home, but I felt so silly texting my partner from the side of the road that my bike ran out of batteries.

I have a couple of bikes built with Ultegra 8000, one Sram Force 1x build, and a 10-speed Campy shift/Sram drivetrain mix (weird, but works great). And then the Mosaic with Etap, which I opted for to avoid the rigamarole of Di2 wires and junctions and whatnot.

The latest and greatest is just an endless chase. I really enjoy riding different drivetrains on different bikes for different applications. They’re all so darn good, it just comes down to personal preference. And trying to keep up with whatever is new and hot is just not a good use of time.

Embrace your out of touch-ness! Shy away from whatever is new and flashy! Go with simple, solid and and fun. But test the waters- ride whatever you can get your hands on to see if you like it. It’s your opinion that matters.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:10 PM

Yup, nice groups are expensive, always have been.

I'm honestly shocked you took a gift card. Sport Shop is making out on both sides of that transaction.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
this is all great, but only one person has acknowledged the OP's original issue: $1100 in store credit at the LBS. What to possibly buy at full retail that would not be a wash.
Wahoo Kickr or gravel bike?
Old 09-02-2019, 03:45 PM

Wei Pal i don't think youre so out of touch as much as a little surprised in just HOW much some things are going for. I never imaged that bicycles would be 10k+. ESPECIALLY for production bikes. I could understand it easier for a full on custom given what they are.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildboar View Post
Wahoo Kickr or gravel bike?
I agree on the trainer, though I think the Tacx Neo 2 (if they can get for you) would probably give the best return. You could 1.) sell it quickly, or 2.) use it during this fall/winter and then sell, or 3.) keep it. They’re very very nice and still not readily available on the secondary market so you’d be able to get good money for one, quite probably even after an offseason of use as long as you don’t kick the snot out of it.

But I’d wait a week before committing to anything tech, just in case someone shows up to Eurobike with an absolute game-changer. Doubtful, but you never know.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

eTap....

The original eTap 11spd Group is now pretty reasonably priced. I n get really expected to like the group much due to the way you have to use both levers to shift the front derailleur but.....
The good thing is you can use nearly any 11spd crank and probably most of your existing wheels. SRAM, shimano or Campy cassettes work fine.
The only “extras” I purchased was 2 batteries an another charger so I could charge both batteries at once. The stuff works as advertised. Only way you will be disappointed is if you have DI2 or EPS to compare it to. The SRAM shifts are just a tad slower.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Chorus 12 costs less than chorus 11.
Because Chorus 11 was a higher-end groupset that shared more in common with Super Record than Potenza.

Chorus 12 is a downgrade all around (for the one extra cog).
Old 09-02-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Because Chorus 11 was a higher-end groupset that shared more in common with Super Record than Potenza.

The downgrade is minor, I'd say, after owning two groups for a few weeks now. The shifters and FD works better than chorus 11 and the rear shifting is better. The shifters now have the small hand adjustment on the brake lever. The 48/32 crank and 11-34 cassette were just what I needed. The brakes look the same, except for no aluminum fasteners. The shift cables are the same as all other 12 speed groups.

I have no regrets about selling my 2018 chorus 11 parts and buying chorus 12. I did keep the chorus 11 brakes on one bike. If don't need a new crank, the 11 speed will probably work.

Last edited by Dave; 09-03-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
For the gravel movement, the single has allowed for a wider tire, lighter weight while keeping road bike geometry. The cost reduction is trickling down to the consumer too. My feeling was the 1x was SRAMs admission that they could not develop a front derailleur. There are benefits for the rider to use the 1x but wide gearing steps is a disadvantage
I can run 650x53 or 700x38 - The limiting factor for 700 is chainstay length, not the FD or chainline. A lot of newer frames have similar capacity or better, the FD issue is less of a concern these days unless you want 3” tires.

Then again, to your point, there are lot less people complaining about SRAM FDs these days...
Old 09-03-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttx1 View Post
I can run 650x53 or 700x38 - The limiting factor for 700 is chainstay length, not the FD or chainline. A lot of newer frames have similar capacity or better, the FD issue is less of a concern these days unless you want 3” tires.

Then again, to your point, there are lot less people complaining about SRAM FDs these days...
7000x38 i is about the max you can go with a 2x. If you want to go much more wider a 1X is needed.

Last edited by joosttx; 09-03-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:20 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post

If weight is all its about, sure a downgrade but to some, metal levers is an upgrade.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The downgrade is minor, I'd say, after owning two groups for a few weeks now. The shifters and FD works better than chorus 11 and the rear shifting is better. The shifters now have the small hand adjustment on the brake lever. The 48/32 crank and 11-34 cassette were just what I needed. The brakes look the same, except for no aluminum fasteners. The shift cables are the same as all other 12 speed groups.

I have no regrets about selling my 2018 chorus 11 parts and buying chorus 12. I did keep the chorus 11 brakes. If don't need a new crank, the 11 speed will probably work.
It looks like a huge downgrade to me. So much so that there is no way I can do it. The cassette options have ranges that are so huge the gearing is worse than 11 speed. I tried a 11-27 in 11 speed and the gaps between cogs were terrible. Had to go to a 12-25. How is it that we have 12 speed cassettes and I still cannot get an 18 tooth cog? Every time they add another cog they just stick it on one end of the cassette; how about filling in the gaps for once.