Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 12:50 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
Yep, bentrideronline would be the forum. I've been riding 'bents along with my "upright" road bikes for around a decade now. Everything has positives and negatives. For pure speed on the flats, my uprights have a hard time keeping up with my lowracer due to a dramatic aero advantage but it's still more fun climbing on an upright. For pure fun, it's hard to beat a trike, and some of the modern racing trikes can hold upright road bike speeds. My bro and I recently picked up a pair of Ice VTX racing trikes and we've both been shocked by how fast they are. No problem holding normal road bike speeds on these things for a 40 mile ride (for me that's 19-20mph). For a trike, that's astounding.
My friend in Mexico has an Ice trike. I was astounded just how well it was crafted and made. He had crashed his trike and brought it to me for repairs. It needed nothing structurally, just bit and bobs. The manufacturer was very responsive as well as very helpful.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:52 PM

The Bilenky is rejuvenated with Shimano 3x9 gearing and Scott AT2 LF bars, with XT V brakes. Not much usage, but my wife has been occasionally willing. Overall she's riding less this year.

I went back to conventional diamond frame bikes when I realized a 54 cm TT works better for me than a 57! Easy to ride with others. Also, only the Firefly has clipless pedals, all other bikes can be ridden in regular shoes so easy to commute, use for errands, etc. A racing bent needs clipless.

I looked at the Schlitter bikes another poster mentioned. John Schlitter was a principal at Bacchetta Bikes. Before I had the Fujin SL 2 I had a Bacchetta Ti Aero (hence NHAero - I also lived in NH at the time). The Aero was also fast, but the higher seat height and the very reclined position made it squirrelly at very low speeds, going up steep NH/VT hills. The Fujin for some reason was much easier to keep going in a straight line at low speeds. Another poster mentioned that you may want to try a number of bents, because the designs are so varied compared to uprights. I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
wonderful for the feedback, NHAERO why did you go back to regular? Did you ever get my Bilenky tandem operating, I so miss (mentally) that bike.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:16 PM

Try Facebook

Facebook has great recumbent pages/groups that are very active. In my opinion, better than bent rider online.
There are so many design philosophies when it comes to recumbents. Can be overwhelming to the uninitiated.
Good luck!
Old 09-02-2019, 02:15 PM

Big question is the where to try, not like these things are growing on trees.

I am up to 15 miles (7 weeks post op, l3 fusion via the side), but sciatica continues. I am nervous that something didn't go right inside. I know it is a long rehab, especially my age.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
My emphasis.

Not all bents are low. The top of my helmet when riding this one is about 5" above the top of the neckrest. If I am on my Kish in the drops, the highest point on my back *might* be a few inches higher than that, but not by much. It might even be a little lower. (I haven't had it measured with me on the bikes).

On my low bents I help compensate for any conspicuity loss by using a flashing Dinotte in the back and Cygolite on the front.

Since bents have a natural head/eye forward position, I feel they help me see better and anticipate / see trouble more quickly.

The bents I tried were all quite low. My road bike is a 62cm and I like my bars at least as high as my saddle. When I'm riding near cars I am sitting up with my hands on the hood so my position has my head well above where it was on the bents that I tried.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
The bents I tried were all quite low. My road bike is a 62cm and I like my bars at least as high as my saddle. When I'm riding near cars I am sitting up with my hands on the hood so my position has my head well above where it was on the bents that I tried.
How high is high enough?

I don't find I have more close calls and whatnot on my low bents.

Small sample size, though.

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 09-02-2019, 03:13 PM

I am not overly concerned about height, as 75% of the riding will be on bike trails. If on regular roads much, would use very thoughtful lighting.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I am not overly concerned about height, as 75% of the riding will be on bike trails. If on regular roads much, would use very thoughtful lighting.
Actually not a bad idea no matter what one rides.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Big question is the where to try, not like these things are growing on trees.

I am up to 15 miles (7 weeks post op, l3 fusion via the side), but sciatica continues. I am nervous that something didn't go right inside. I know it is a long rehab, especially my age.
Where do you live?

Old 09-02-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
How high is high enough?

I don't find I have more close calls and whatnot on my low bents.

Small sample size, though.
I can look over cars and at least through the windows of SUVs. I've been hit by cars 4 times. The last time I needed 9 hours of surgery, some titanium bits to hold me together, 5 weeks in the hospital and a couple of months of PT so I'm probably more worried about seeing and being seen than a lot of riders.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:14 PM

>>Where do you live?

The ocean state, RI
Old 09-03-2019, 08:14 AM

Rhode Island? Then you are lucky. Try these guys:
https://bike-on.com/?SID=slv8tf0ltv7dda4g3tlh3lp1tf
Old 09-03-2019, 10:21 AM

Another approach is to do some research to narrow the field, find some used bikes within reasonable driving distance, and buy something affordable to start out on. Ride it for a while. You will have learned more about what you prefer and don't prefer and your next bent will be even better. Most bent riders end up repeating the above steps at least a couple times. If anyone thinks they will buy the ‘perfect’ bike on the first try, they are being overly optimistic. With additional experience in hand, you will get closer to buying the ‘perfect’ bike each time you go through the process of evaluating your needs. Another complicating fact that your needs /desires will change rapidly at first. You may be happiest on a certain type at first before you have improved your skills, but that machine may feel limiting after a while. It's an unfortunate but generally still true fact that the easier the bent is to ride, the slower it is. Something like a velomobile will buck that generalization, but I am assuming you are sticking to unfaired bents, at least at first.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 AM
The bass playing cyclist

What Steamer said. I currently have a collection of five different recumbents and I’ve sold at least five others and they were all purchased used locally through Craigslist or the Bentrider forum for usually less than half their new price. This also helps if you decide you want to sell a ‘bent to try a different type- easy to get your money back.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:10 AM

How do people transport bents if they don't want to start a ride from home? Obviously a pickup would make it easy but can you use a trunk-mount rack on a sedan?