Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2019, 06:39 PM

Just get him an aluminum Diverge

If he's not dyed in the wool roadie, why make him suffer on a treasure that he has no idea about what it is...all while dodging cars? It's like gifting someone a 10 year old Nordica Doberman ski/boot combo and then wondering why the hate to ski. Plus, the road is a special breed...what if rail trails, parks and dirt roads are more his speed? Easy sell for a couple time a month rider. All about doing family stuff, right. Easier if it's fun, I keep a cheap one around to get people involved if they want to check it out.

For a K or less, quality aluminum frame, relexed/forgiving geo, carbon fork, wider tires/rims. Cable disc, so you can doctor up the drivetrain from the parts bin if you want. If you rope him into a road thing every now and again, slap on a 700x25 tire. If it sticks, cross that bridge

Go the full experience, no canyons or motobecanes. Take him to a good shop and get him on the correct bike and a proper fit. Shoes, lid, pedal situation, shorts etc, etc. Turnabout is fair play, your daughter probably went thru the same process for golf equipment, lessons and outfits

Make sure he has fun, buy him a beer afterwards
Old 08-30-2019, 07:17 PM
ZhugeLiang

what happens when your daughter loses her interest in golf?
Old 08-30-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
[*]d) My Look 585, which actually fits him perfectly but is, well, a Look 585, currently wearing AC 350s.
No, no, no. The 585 is off the table unless it stays in the Paceline family.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I have a crisis of conscience. My future son-in-law and my daughter have agreed that if she takes golf lessons (which she has), he will start riding. She has a Ridley and loves the road. He is almost my height; a couple of inches shorter.

I have choices but I'm unsure. I could give him:
  • a) My Serotta Legend in blue and yellow colorway (the colors of the school where he's pursuing his doctorate), with gold Shamals
  • b) My recently built Fuji SL, which weighs in at 15.6 pounds, with Oval carbons
  • c) My 89 Bianchi Giro, restomodded with modern Campy and Open Pro/Chorus
  • d) My Look 585, which actually fits him perfectly but is, well, a Look 585, currently wearing AC 350s.
The Corsa Extra and Serotta Fierte IT are off-limits. I love my future son-in-law but those will only change hands in the will.

I don't know what to do about this first-world problem.

Give him the Look and tell him if he stops riding its back at your house.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
No, no, no. The 585 is off the table unless it stays in the Paceline family.

now now....family first
Old 08-31-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I'll be the jerk. I wouldn't give him anything. He obviously doesn't want to ride if he has to start by coercion. She does this, I'll do that. Especially your nice bikes. Nope. If he wants to ride he can buy his own damn bike.
I'm with him ^

At BEST, I'd point him to a CL bike that fits or can be made to fit. That way when it's hanging upside down in the garage you aren't out a nice bike.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I'll be the jerk. I wouldn't give him anything. He obviously doesn't want to ride if he has to start by coercion. She does this, I'll do that. Especially your nice bikes. Nope. If he wants to ride he can buy his own damn bike.
+1 more.

I don't think anyone is a jerk for thinking this.
As a PL'er I think you're just orders of magnitude more excited about the idea than your son-in-law is.

I'd only offer to help him shop for a bike. When he starts registering with Strava, then Zwift, buys shoes/ pedals and moves into some race fit kits then you can start considering spending your money on a better ride for him.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I have a crisis of conscience. My future son-in-law and my daughter have agreed that if she takes golf lessons (which she has), he will start riding.
Who paid for the golf lessons? Does he have to get one of your bikes? Will your daughter get some of your wife's(or whomever) golf clubs?

I say, let him do the leg-work..get a decent bike fit and thence get a bike..
Old 08-31-2019, 08:22 AM

And what happens if the bike you gave him gets stolen...?

New/used bike of his own is way to go. Sounds like your daughter knows a thing or two about bikes. Make sure he ends up with something she'd be OK staring at while riding with him! She could probably help him find something that could work. A cool used steel frame with modern components might be a good entry vehicle to the sport.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:52 AM
50 bpm

Tough crowd. Tough crowd.

My daughter has gotten one of his mom's (really nice) set of golf clubs. Giving him one of my bikes was her idea and he's enthusiastic about it.

TBH, he really wants the Legend, which with a shorter stem fits him fine. (I'm 6-4 1/2; he's 6-3). He has ridden it several times (with flats, although he now has a pair of Birk carbon road shoes) when I've swapped the stem and enjoys it.

Regardless, it's a good problem to have!
Old 08-31-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:

My daughter has gotten one of his mom's (really nice) set of golf clubs. Giving him one of my bikes was her idea and he's enthusiastic about it.

TBH, he really wants the Legend, which with a shorter stem fits him fine. (I'm 6-4 1/2; he's 6-3). He has ridden it several times (with flats, although he now has a pair of Birk carbon road shoes) when I've swapped the stem and enjoys it.

I know of a Serotta Ottrott with ETap that would fit him quite nicely.

Just sayin’
Old 08-31-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:

In this case, I'd say give him the Legend. I have a couple, and love them, but they are not impossible to replace. Plus if he likes it, the chances of success are better.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:59 AM

one of the top 2, the serotta or the fuji. if you give it away you can always get it back if its never being used. i love the idea and its cool you are in a place to do this for your daughter and son in law.

you are family, if you cant be honest with family... nm
Old 08-31-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Give him the Look and tell him if he stops riding its back at your house.
This is very key.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:09 AM

I'll admit that my first impulse after reading the original post was to make a mental draft of a very dirty Rodney Dangerfield/Mantan Moreland style joke...

But my father-in-law has been amazing, so I really relate to your impulse...

My advice is, give him the Legend; you and his mother are passing a torch - the two of you are giving them a piece of history, you are giving him a slice of the personal vitality that you've drawn from life. A Serotta embodies the personal, physical, vital relationship we form with sport and its tools.

The other bikes do as well, and are excellent in their own right, but as the old Serotta tag line for the Legend went, it is simply the best.

And if he doesn't ride it, or ride it enough, leave it alone and don't forget he's going to help give you grandchildren.