Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2019, 04:42 PM
50 bpm

WTD: Giving a bike to my future son-in-law

I have a crisis of conscience. My future son-in-law and my daughter have agreed that if she takes golf lessons (which she has), he will start riding. She has a Ridley and loves the road. He is almost my height; a couple of inches shorter.

I have choices but I'm unsure. I could give him:
  • a) My Serotta Legend in blue and yellow colorway (the colors of the school where he's pursuing his doctorate), with gold Shamals
  • b) My recently built Fuji SL, which weighs in at 15.6 pounds, with Oval carbons
  • c) My 89 Bianchi Giro, restomodded with modern Campy and Open Pro/Chorus
  • d) My Look 585, which actually fits him perfectly but is, well, a Look 585, currently wearing AC 350s.
The Corsa Extra and Serotta Fierte IT are off-limits. I love my future son-in-law but those will only change hands in the will.

I don't know what to do about this first-world problem.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:47 PM

Two days ago my son told me he had borrowed a bike and tried out for the cycling team at Annapolis and made it. I have 5 road bikes but he's 3" shorter than me and knows nothing about maintaining a bike, he's just freakishly strong aerobically. The only frame I could build up to fit him is the "wall art", a 1993 US Team True Temper GT (Nobilette). So, no to that. Lynskey has a good sale going on. He'll probably get something light and shiny.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:58 PM

I don’t think you should give him one of your bikes. What if they don’t fit or he doesn’t like it and then then gesture is too kind because he knows it’s your personal bike and then he begrudgingly keeps it and now you’re out a bike and he’s too embarrassed to tell you it’s not a good fit....

(Run on sentence is for effect)
Old 08-30-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I don’t think you should give him one of your bikes. What if they don’t fit or he doesn’t like it and then then gesture is too kind because he knows it’s your personal bike and then he begrudgingly keeps it and now you’re out a bike and he’s too embarrassed to tell you it’s not a good fit....

(Run on sentence is for effect)
+1. I'd find a frame (or complete bike) that would actually fit properly and give it a good build and tune up.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:14 PM

I would buy him a nice new bike instead of a hand-me-down.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
100% on this. Maybe a Canyon, as they're running a pretty decent sale right now and they can be returned no questions asked.

Or from a local store which has a return policy similar to that. I know REI's doing a big sale right now with decent Cannondales available.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:31 PM
Vendor

I wouldn't introduce someone to new to riding on a pure road bike with its skinny tires, twitchy handling, narrow bars, and bar/saddle drop. I made that mistake once and the bike hasn't been ridden in years. I'd either get him something new or find something on CL to fix up. Maybe one of those worthless rim-brake CX things, set it up with 32s, and a riser bar.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:32 PM

IMHO it's not reasonable to expect him to have same feelings of appreciation of one of your bikes like you do. Or maintain it to your standards. So potential for hard feelings, or disappointment on your part. I have learned not to give my kids anything of mine I'm even slightly attached to. They won't have same feeling for it.

So if me.....I would take him to a bike shop, and let him pick out a new bike...and I would pay for it. Then it's his....and he can ride it and maintain it any way he wants. You are not emotionally involved in the bike.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Two days ago my son told me he had borrowed a bike and tried out for the cycling team at Annapolis and made it. I have 5 road bikes but he's 3" shorter than me and knows nothing about maintaining a bike, he's just freakishly strong aerobically. The only frame I could build up to fit him is the "wall art", a 1993 US Team True Temper GT (Nobilette). So, no to that. Lynskey has a good sale going on. He'll probably get something light and shiny.
Raced against quite a few of the Naval Academy guys back in my ACCC days. Strong dudes and good sports all around. Didn't much like the time I started singing Anchors Aweigh while I was in a break with two of them, but had to get into their heads somehow rather than just let them ride away with things.

Quote:
100% this. Go do it together and it'll be something he's more invested in.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
*not too nice, tho.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:52 PM

New bike from an LBS and let them take are of it. Then as a 10 yr anniversary present if he is still riding look at your stable again.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:04 PM

To add to my comments above, If my girlfriends dad decided to be so kind as to give me one of his bikes I’d be on his only bike, a recumbent, and I’d feel guilty if I rode my Dave Kirk instead
Old 08-30-2019, 06:07 PM

I'll be the jerk. I wouldn't give him anything. He obviously doesn't want to ride if he has to start by coercion. She does this, I'll do that. Especially your nice bikes. Nope. If he wants to ride he can buy his own damn bike.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I'll be the jerk. I wouldn't give him anything. He obviously doesn't want to ride if he has to start by coercion. She does this, I'll do that. Especially your nice bikes. Nope. If he wants to ride he can buy his own damn bike.
Yep. I'd go help you pick one out & give advice, if you want it, but she did her part, you do yours.

Unless he's drooled over one of those (unlikely, since he doesn't ride, so most likely a bike is a bike to him), I wouldn't part with one.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
*not too nice, tho.
You are right. I think others have explained the potential feelings he could have better than I.