Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
There are a few double blind, peer-reviewed studies (San Diego State U and third party IIRC) that generated quantitative (blood level lactate / HR) and qualitative data which suggest some correlation to performance gains and improved post-activity recovery following advanced anaerobic activity.

I don’t challenge the data and conclusions of the study, but I also didn’t perceive subjective levels of benefit from my use of the product. Certainly not “magic sauce” at my level. ... not that I expected it to be ...
I wonder what the efficacy rate is versus the placebo in these studies?
Old 08-29-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I wonder what the efficacy rate is versus the placebo in these studies?
https://amphumanperformance.com/pages/studies

higher blood lactate levels
lower HR for same workload
reduced muscle soreness
increased time to exhaustion
Old 08-29-2019, 08:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailTrailRacer View Post
If the stuff wasn't legit, the pros wouldn't be using it. The sodium bicarb can help buffer lactic acid. It looks interesting, to be honest, maybe I'll give it a try.
Unless they were paid to 'use it'....and the 'pros' do that all the time..

I remember a pic of Indurain with an Acocet computer on his bike..w/o any wire attached(before wireless)...cuz...$...
Old 08-29-2019, 10:10 AM

If I’m understanding the study cited in the promotional literature correctly, results were better with cheap oral supplement than this topical product. The best result was with 0.3 gm/kg. Typical pill size is 650 mg, meaning it would require 20+ pills for a 50 kg rider. But the 0.4 gm/kg study resulted in slightly less rise than the 0.3 gm study, so perhaps you don’t need so many pills. Maybe before paying for this product, try a few bicarbonate pills and fix your heartburn in the process.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
That's awesome! They get paid to ride bikes, and are paid to endorse products.

Remember when cigarettes were "good for you?"
Lest you all think of me as some kind of gullible fanboy, I realize athletes are paid to use products. My point was that if you see a widespread use of a product (across multiple teams, as I understood this to be), then it is more than just sponsorships driving use. Would a small cream company really have the resources to go sponsor a bunch of teams? maybe, but I doubt it.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

From the study:

Heart rate and RPE were significantly (p<0.05) lower for TSB compared to placebo at the 15-min mark of the 1-hour time trial, but not at other time points. When TSB was applied, lactate was higher (p<0.05) after the high-intensity ramp, sprint and 5-min time trial series (10.8±3.2 mmol/L versus 9.7±3.1 mmol/L for TSB and placebo, respectively). Similar effects were not observed after the 1-hour time trial. Significance was not reached when examining performance differences (p>0.05).

This is a very small study with only 20 athletes. Two previous studies showed better effects with oral bicarbonate as 2leftleats mentioned.
The effects seem to be small and only applied to short efforts and weren't positive for the 1 hr TT efforts. Most bike races are longer than 15 minutes.
It may be that further research show a positive effect but I wouldn't waste my money.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:47 PM

Endorsed by Hannibal Lecter.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Lest you all think of me as some kind of gullible fanboy, I realize athletes are paid to use products. My point was that if you see a widespread use of a product (across multiple teams, as I understood this to be), then it is more than just sponsorships driving use. Would a small cream company really have the resources to go sponsor a bunch of teams? maybe, but I doubt it.
Sure, that makes total sense now. Thanks for the clarification !
Old 08-30-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
https://amphumanperformance.com/pages/studies

higher blood lactate levels
lower HR for same workload
reduced muscle soreness
increased time to exhaustion
Thanks for posting the link.

My next question is: what's the margin of error? I didn't seen this posted in the reports. If the margin of error is noted, please let me know.

If the margin of error matches the documented difference between the cream and the placebo (which it could - the benefits were not much better than the placebo), what are we looking at?

So while all of the above claims may be true according to the study, it ain't by much, and without knowing the margin of error, it's hard to accept the results. And as gasman mentioned, it's a very small sample size.

In the second study, the only difference between the control lotion and the alleged super lotion was sodium bicarbonate. Baking soda is the magic ingredient.

Last edited by berserk87; 08-30-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Baking soda is the magic ingredient.
That is legit. Old endurance athlete trick was to drink sodium bicarb and let it buffer the acid produced in the muscles during a race. It often had some unpleasant digestive side effects.

There are plenty of drugs that are dosed transdermally today. In other words, don't dismiss this out of hand just because baking soda is used to keep your fridge smelling good.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:10 PM

Dmso...
Old 08-30-2019, 05:58 PM

Interesting thread
Old 08-30-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
That is legit. Old endurance athlete trick was to drink sodium bicarb and let it buffer the acid produced in the muscles during a race. It often had some unpleasant digestive side effects.

There are plenty of drugs that are dosed transdermally today. In other words, don't dismiss this out of hand just because baking soda is used to keep your fridge smelling good.
Yes, bicarb is a known quantity. It does work, but makes most feeling sick. I don't know whether the transdermal amp lotion works, as I said upthread, but it is cool that they have tech in the pipeline to do a consumer level patch...
Old 08-31-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:

Fair enough. The fancy marketing to act like it's something more than this is the hilarious thing though.

The DMSO comment takes me back to the mid-80's. Forgot about that stuff.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:39 AM

I clicked on the link and found that at my current number of workouts a week, I would go through 3 tubes a month, at $35 a tube.

Um, no.