Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2016, 03:51 PM

Giro shoe fit

Looking for fit experience between giro regular and hv fit.

In looking at Giro shoes, they offer a standard and HV (high volume) fit and I'm trying to form an educated guess of which might work better. My shimano r300 were their wide, though didn't seem particularly wide IMO. How much more space do the HV shoes from Giro have compared to regular? I can't go into many stores and say hey can I try a few size 48 giro shoes (realistically having any shoes my size is rare) to compare.

I broke the heel tab off my Shimano R300 shoe, which I had just gotten used to the fit, and of course the tabs aren't replaceable. I'll probably use some silicone to make them work a little while, but will be replacing at some point soon.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 08-10-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 PM

No one tried regular vs wide in giro? Just trying to see where people have found they add the width as some do all around which won't work with my otherwise narrow sasquatch feet, but a little extra toe wiggle room is usually nice.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:12 PM
all slow no go

I actually use HV Trans right now. Hit or miss on them sizing-wise. They do fit me better than the regular size, but I would say it's more space all around. They are definitely wider throughout the entire sole (good for my broad feet) but do keep the pointed toe (proportionally) .I think they are also roomier top-to-bottom (bad for my flat feet). I personally wish they were the same width but without the extra volume.

Hope that helps
Old 08-10-2016, 10:25 PM

I tried a pair and they were acceptable but not super wide. Perhaps a bit too wide in the heel cup for my narrow heel.

I certainly would not call them super wide.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:40 PM

Thanks

Last edited by cmbicycles; 10-04-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:14 PM

Adding a data point here. From talking to Competitive Cyclist, Giro's HV shoes add the width all around. I tried a pair of HV VR90s. Visually, it looked like the toe box was still rather pointy. Unfortunately, this made them not work for me - my toes were getting squished. I am on the wider side of normal width, and I have typically worn Specialized shoes. The "HV" VR90 really didn't seem very wide or high volume at all. Subjectively, it fit about as tight as a regular Specialized, only narrower in the toes and wider in the heel (i.e. exactly what I did not need). It was too bad, because they seemed like good shoes at a good price.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Randomhead

the HV isn't particularly wide. It's just enough wider that it's worth it for me. I think someone that has a really wide foot probably will want to look at another brand. Having said that, I just bought some regular width Giros because they were half price. Seems like they fit about the same as the HV Privateers I have been wearing.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:19 PM

THe only ones that actually make wide stuff are bont and lake.

Some brands are suppouse to carry wide but the problem is that those shoes never shows up in the states or any website but the manufacturer, like Vittoria (i think)...
Old 10-02-2019, 09:03 PM

Funny to see this pop up a few years after I started it. To close the loop for me, I ended up moving to a 49 sidi instead of a wide 48... seems to be working well for my feet.