Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
I respect your right to be skeptical, but just digging around a bit you can see it's not their first rodeo. This company's previously released an e-bike that was reviewed by some larger cycling publications, so people have already put down serious amounts of money on them. This lends Karmic a bit more credibility on my view.

https://bikerumor.com/2017/09/05/rev...ike-commuters/
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...icycle-review/
One of the KS campaigns I lost a couple of hundred bucks on was one started by. Rob Honeycut, founder of Timbuktu, a 23 million dollar company when he sold it. Rob had plenty of rodeos under his belt but he failed on the campaign. I never saw the product nor a dime. When putting down $1,600 down I would say some skepticism is healthy. Also, as I said, I wish him all the luck in the world. Nor did I mean any disrespect. In fairness the images of the bike and the specs listed do not match. And, if this project was presented as a business plan, I would imagine the questions asked would be much tougher than the simple ones I pointed out. Both Silicon Valley as well as KS are littered with once successfully entrepreneurs who failed.

Again, I wish him luck
Old 09-19-2019, 09:13 AM

Why bother with the pedals? I imagine they are just to circumvent laws?

looks nice but I am a designer so I like these sort of future looking things more than the average person. That being said, I like the mad max/vintage MX looking versions of these electric mopeds like the Super73.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The old fashioned way has a consistent knack for excluding entrepreneurs by race and gender. The old fashioned way doesn't build a pipeline of customers and hopefully proponents of the product before it even launches. The old fashioned way is so unappealing even more established brands like Silca are using Kickstarters to launch products and build buzz.

Kickstarters aren't perfect, but let's not pretend the traditional system was some Shangri La either.

Best of luck on the Kickstarter. Looks like a cool bike.

What is the payback for the invester, kickstart has be baffled.

thx
Old 09-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
What is the payback for the invester, kickstart has be baffled.

thx
The product you paid for, if all goes to plan. And if you paid at higher tiers, whatever those add-in incentives might be. You're not investing in the company, just the end product.

But it is speculative and I've never backed campaigns that are of a significant dollar value that if I lost the money in the street I'd be too upset about it.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
You're not investing in the company, just the end product.
This is key.

Last edited by Pelican; 09-19-2019 at 05:33 PM. Reason: not going to get into it here.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
This is key.

And these other comments are why I don't post on Paceline anymore.

If anyone is seriously interested, please message me.
I have to say I’m blown away. In reviewing my comments I cannot honestly see how they are offensive in anyway.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:57 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
The specs state Gates belt but you’re saying that’s not finalized?

And a 20 mile range. Not sure that’s practical. My wife rode an e-bike 26 miles today.

Also confused on tires/wheels. Photos show what look like disc wheels but specs state spoked.

Seems to be pretty vague all around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I have to say I’m blown away. In reviewing my comments I cannot honestly see how they are offensive in anyway.
they are not offensive but the impression I get from reading your comments is challenging, negative and skeptical. it's the internet and without a face-face interaction, a lot of posts can be read a few ways. I get it if you type and aren't considering the tone, impression etc. we all do that. its a forum, and we dont have or want to make time for that. so if someone is feeding back a contrary position to yours, take a moment...

In any of these types of interactions, it's a constant reminder to me that everyone sees the world differently.

> when do you expect to finalize the use Gates belt

And a 20 mile range. Not sure that’s practical. My wife rode an e-bike 26 miles today.
> my experience is that a 20mile range is limiting. have you considered a longer range or are you facing a constraint hence the 20 miles...

Also confused on tires/wheels. Photos show what look like disc wheels but specs state spoked.

> I'd like to see you succeed but I find the copy vague in areas I think are important. could you elaborate more on [xyz]
Old 09-19-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
they are not offensive but the impression I get from reading your comments is challenging, negative and skeptical. it's the internet and without a face-face interaction, a lot of posts can be read a few ways. I get it if you type and aren't considering the tone, impression etc. we all do that. its a forum, and we dont have or want to make time for that. so if someone is feeding back a contrary position to yours, take a moment...

In any of these types of interactions, it's a constant reminder to me that everyone sees the world differently.

> when do you expect to finalize the use Gates belt

> my experience is that a 20mile range is limiting. have you considered a longer range or are you facing a constraint hence the 20 miles...

> I'd like to see you succeed but I find the copy vague in areas I think are important. could you elaborate more on [xyz]
Well said. E-communications can easily go awry.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:52 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

@pdmtong thank you for clarifying. I should’ve responded explaining that to me, the tone sounded negative while that wasn’t Clancy’s intention.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Why bother with the pedals? I imagine they are just to circumvent laws?
That's my point..more of a 'oops, battery is dead, forgot to charge battery' gig than a eBIKE..it's a scooter...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg th(33).jpeg (11.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 1._Gogoro_2__wBG_72dpi.jpg (24.9 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-23-2019, 10:49 AM

Love the design, and like most e-bikes it looks like a lot of fun. Admittedley I have never used one but I have a strong hankering for an e-cargo bike.

What is the current state of e-bikes in ride share? I would assume this is where rideshare is heading very soon if not already. The Oslo looks to be tailor made for that venue.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Randomhead

apparently the RCMP is giving out tickets to ebike riders that aren't pedaling, even though it's not against the law. But this usually happens to people on scooters with vestigial pedals, unlike the one in the OP that looks like it could be pedaled without issue. Even though nobody does it in the video. The first ebike I ever saw was one of the ones that look like an old Vespa scooter. I was impressed, the teenage rider was pedaling it up a long hill. I assume the battery died.