Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2019, 11:13 AM

OT: Car / Auto haulers

Anyone have any experience with shipping a car ? I made mistake of entering my request into a website which apparently pushes my info to several different car carriers to bid on and within seconds the quotes started coming in hot and heavy..........

But gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised by quotes that I'm getting.

Anyone ever used one of these?

Anything I should be leery of ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quote.jpg (79.2 KB, 176 views)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Yes,

We transported an SUV from NJ to Los Angeles last summer and was similarly inundated with offers and quotes. So many in fact that it became a chore in and of itself to research each company. A lot of this is handled by brokers and in the end we decided to go with a transport company affiliated with the moving company handling the entire move. That way the office staff coordinated everything from pick up to drop off and all the details. It was one less thing to worry about in the middle of a cross country move.

Intercity and Horseless Carriage are considered the gold standard, and Dependable Auto Shippers, Reindeer Auto Relocation and Reliable Auto Shippers were the other companies I would have strongly considered if I was going to do it myself.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=JasonF;2556285]Yes,

We transported an SUV from NJ to Los Angeles last summer and was similarly inundated with offers and quotes. So many in fact that it became a chore in and of itself to research each company. A lot of this is handled by brokers and in the end we decided to go with a transport company affiliated with the moving company handling the entire move. That way the office staff coordinated everything from pick up to drop off and all the details. It was one less thing to worry about in the middle of a cross country move.

Intercity and Horseless Carriage are considered the gold standard, and Dependable Auto Shippers, Reindeer Auto Relocation and Reliable Auto Shippers were the other companies I would have strongly considered if I was going to do it myself.[/QUOTE

+1 yup intercity and horseless carriage if you have a classic or antique car and even if you want the best shipping for your car. they do have limited areas of shipping though. it seems to me that mostly out west.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:09 PM

It's a dirty business. Most companies you contact are just a guy and a desk and they round up whatever freelance driver they can find to take your car from A to B. They take your money and keep some and pass the rest onto the freelance driver who is not affiliated in anyway to the guy who took your money. So if the poo hits the fan you are out of luck.

Go with a name brand company that uses their own trucks and drivers and you'll be in good hands....otherwise it's the wild west.

dave
Old 06-21-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Intercity and Horseless Carriage are considered the gold standard, and Dependable Auto Shippers, Reindeer Auto Relocation and Reliable Auto Shippers were the other companies I would have strongly considered if I was going to do it myself.
thank you, i'll check them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post

+1 yup intercity and horseless carriage if you have a classic or antique car and even if you want the best shipping for your car. they do have limited areas of shipping though. it seems to me that mostly out west.
10-4......thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
It's a dirty business. Most companies you contact are just a guy and a desk and they round up whatever freelance driver they can find to take your car from A to B. They take your money and keep some and pass the rest onto the freelance driver who is not affiliated in anyway to the guy who took your money. So if the poo hits the fan you are out of luck.

Go with a name brand company that uses their own trucks and drivers and you'll be in good hands....otherwise it's the wild west.

dave
good stuff here Dave......thanks
Old 06-21-2019, 02:57 PM

https://www.uship.com/

Old 06-21-2019, 03:12 PM

I've had decent luck using this service. They're just a broker. The carrier I ended up thru them with was very good. The key is to read the reviews of the actual carrier you contract with.

If you're shipping something you really care about and is valuable, def. give Intercity a call. I've used them in the past. If you're on a less traveled route though the timing of your shipment may take awhile, i.e. they have to have a full truck before they take your vehicle. Recently booked them for a cross country move and that was a 2-3 week wait till it could be booked. Then, about 2 days prior to the pickup, he driver informed me that they had a cancellation of a bunch of cars from a single owner that was going on same truck, which blew the economics of shipping. So they had to cancel my car also. That's some of the risk. That issue aside, which was very specific to my circumstance , in no way declines from my appreciation of Intercity. They are among the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post

Last edited by 54ny77; 06-21-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:22 PM

watch out

in your quote they discuss new system to communicate with the driver. could that be a cell phone? i was going to ship my new car from Bismarck ND to Santa Rosa, CA. In the end I flew there, picked it up, drove it home. way cheaper way more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Anyone have any experience with shipping a car ? I made mistake of entering my request into a website which apparently pushes my info to several different car carriers to bid on and within seconds the quotes started coming in hot and heavy..........

But gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised by quotes that I'm getting.

Anyone ever used one of these?

Anything I should be leery of ?
Old 09-02-2019, 12:20 PM

David's comment above is spot on. Stick with an established companies and compare a few prices before deciding. Personally i've used a1 auto transport a couple times and haven't had problems. I don't remember where they were as far as price but it was around the same as others and I was happy with them. I can't say I've heard of a company called Lighthouse though.