Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2019, 07:21 PM

Pre 2015 campagnolo 11s rear derailleur capacity/capability

I get capacity and capability mixed up all the time but I'm running 53/39, 11-25 right now and my knees cannot take the big gears. it's an older groupset I bought when I first got into cycling so I didn't know what gears to choose. what is the maximum gear count that a pre 2015 capmy 11s rear derailleur can take? I'm thinking about switching my freehub to a shimano one since their gearing options are wider and cheaper. anyone have experience with the Ultegra 14 - 28 cassettes by any chance? how do you like it? I'm a recreational cyclist so I pretty much never use gears below 14t and 14t - 28t seems like a pretty good option to me.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:09 PM

Might be better off switching to a compact crankset.

The first iteration of 11sp Campy (the ones with more silver) was said to be limited to a 27t max, the stuff with more black is officially good for 29t.

Cassettes with a 14t smallest are meant for juniors...
Old 08-29-2019, 09:19 PM

campy earring

I think 50/34 in front and 12/29 in back is the widest gearing for pre 2015 campy.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post

The first iteration of 11sp Campy (the ones with more silver) was said to be limited to a 27t max, the stuff with more black is officially good for 29t.

The early versions “with more silver” easily accomodate 29T.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:32 PM

anyone tried 30t on those RDs? Shimano's RD officially take up to 28t but many people run 30t with no problem.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:57 PM

Being able to run bigger than 29t will depend also on the dropout measurements, vis-a-vis Campy's spec... on some frames it will work, on others it won't.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post

I know it's for the juniors but like I said I don't race so I will never use anything less than 14t unless i'm crossing small small which is not good. Just be honest how often do you use your 11t on your weekend rides?
Old 08-30-2019, 04:41 AM

I have used an 11-30 without any major issues and even an 11-32. It may not be ideal, but will likely still work.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Just be honest how often do you use your 11t on your weekend rides?
All the time on downhills, but give the 14-28 a try if you think it would suit you.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:29 AM
50 bpm

I've used up to a 36t with a RoadLink, although it shifts much better with a 32t. Conversely, it also works with a 32t without the RoadLink, but doesn't shift quite as well.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I get capacity and capability mixed up all the time but I'm running 53/39, 11-25 right now and my knees cannot take the big gears. it's an older groupset I bought when I first got into cycling so I didn't know what gears to choose. what is the maximum gear count that a pre 2015 capmy 11s rear derailleur can take? I'm thinking about switching my freehub to a shimano one since their gearing options are wider and cheaper. anyone have experience with the Ultegra 14 - 28 cassettes by any chance? how do you like it? I'm a recreational cyclist so I pretty much never use gears below 14t and 14t - 28t seems like a pretty good option to me.
30t easily..'maybe' 32 depending on frame/der hanger..making sure chain is long enough for big-big combo. 14-28 no problema..
Old 08-31-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
30t easily..'maybe' 32 depending on frame/der hanger..making sure chain is long enough for big-big combo. 14-28 no problema..
If you have a very early 11s system - first half of 2009, you will need to change the H Screw drive gear to accommodate the 29T (that was the running change that was made thereafter).

Late 2009 - 2015, the official max is 29T max sprocket size, with a 12T minimum in that case.

You "can" run 11-29 but it is not recommended - the shift to the last couple of sprockets tends to be a bit "lazy", especially once there's abit of wear and tear in the system, because of the way that Campagnolo configure their cassette spacings and because of the tracking angle that the RD will adopt on most rear hangers (that is in part defined by the angle of the "hook" on the hanger relative to the top pivot bolt drilling).

A longer hanger may give you the capacity to handle a bigger "big" sprocket but you will see the problem above emphasised, plus you have to careful about chain wrap, especially if you opt for a compact crankset.

The maximum recommended range is 50/34 with 12-29.
This will work with any frame that falls within the recommended dimensions / specifications, which are pretty universal ...
Old 08-31-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Just be honest how often do you use your 11t on your weekend rides?
I do most of my riding in southern Vermont. There’s almost nothing flat here. I use the 50/11 on every ride on the downside of the rollers.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfk_velo View Post
If you have a very early 11s system - first half of 2009, you will need to change the H Screw drive gear to accommodate the 29T (that was the running change that was made thereafter).

Late 2009 - 2015, the official max is 29T max sprocket size, with a 12T minimum in that case.

You "can" run 11-29 but it is not recommended - the shift to the last couple of sprockets tends to be a bit "lazy", especially once there's abit of wear and tear in the system, because of the way that Campagnolo configure their cassette spacings and because of the tracking angle that the RD will adopt on most rear hangers (that is in part defined by the angle of the "hook" on the hanger relative to the top pivot bolt drilling).

A longer hanger may give you the capacity to handle a bigger "big" sprocket but you will see the problem above emphasised, plus you have to careful about chain wrap, especially if you opt for a compact crankset.

The maximum recommended range is 50/34 with 12-29.
This will work with any frame that falls within the recommended dimensions / specifications, which are pretty universal ...
True

Yer saying running a Campagnolo produced 11-29 isn't recommended with a Campagnolo 11s 'system'??

My point is that, even IF the 'max' is a 29t..a shimano type 11s, 30t will work fine..and 'probably' a 32t, depending on the frame's specs...
Old 09-01-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I know it's for the juniors but like I said I don't race so I will never use anything less than 14t unless i'm crossing small small which is not good. Just be honest how often do you use your 11t on your weekend rides?
I've got one of those on the townie and it works fine. I'm in Florida and we don't have hills to go fast down. What little hills we have are just a respite from pedaling into the wind.