Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2024, 01:54 PM
litcrazy

Winter bike vacation to southern Spain vs southern Portugal or maybe even Tuscany

Our son is teaching in Kyrgyzstan for the year, exactly 12 times zones away from us. We (my wife, son, daughter and I) all overlap for about 10 days of vacation from about Christmas to January 5th or so.

The travel time from Kyrgyzstan to Albuquerque is too much for that length of time, so we're thinking we'd like to meet in the middlish in either Spain or Portugal.

For my 50th, we went to Italy as a family a few years ago, and loved biking in Tuscany and especially the Dolomites. Since Kyrgyzstan is rather cold and snowy, we're thinking it would be fun to gather in either southern Spain or Portugal where we could maybe visit a city or two, and also stay in a remote area with beautiful and hopefully affordable accomodations and cycling. Either road or gravel. We'll likely be renting bikes as it worked well in Italy and feels easier.

We're locked into these Christmas-New Year dates and definitely aren't a cost-is-no-concern family. It's winter and peak season for holiday travel, so we'd love to go to a place that doesn't have snow or endless rain or mud, but that perhaps isn''t perceived a winter destination. We don't mind cold or steep or rugged as long as it's pretty and good biking.

I know many folks here have biked in those parts, so I'd love some suggestions as we're trying to narrow our options, and start our planning.
Old 09-10-2024, 02:30 PM
slower than you

Tuscany is too cold. Sicily.
Old 09-10-2024, 03:17 PM

I spent a week in Barcelona in early February and it was quite nice generally in the lower 70s and sunny. I really enjoyed the riding in the surrounding area right out the door of our apartment on La Rambla, and took the train to Girona for a ride with some US pros living in the area at the time as well.
Old 09-10-2024, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Tuscany is too cold. Sicily.
There's a huge vintage swap meet in Italy in February. A few friends/acquaintances from Classic Rendezvous and bikeforums have gone a couple times, even ridden while there. One is in Milan, the Mostra Scambio Novegro. Though primarily focused on vintage cars and motorcycles, plenty of vintage bikes and parts are to be found as well.
Old 09-10-2024, 05:07 PM
slower than you

There's a ski operation on top of Monte Amiata in lower Tuscany, the big extinct volcano that dominates the Val de Orcia in lower Tuscany. Drove up there one day (intense bike climb). It looks like a serious small hill, not just a rope tow, that attracts a crowd in winter. So, they get snow, or, it's cold enough to make snow.

Most of my travels in Italy have been late November into December. It's my birthday, no tourists. But, it can be cold then, and rainy cold. The OP is talking February, which has to be real nippy. I wouldn't go near Sicily in the summer, but I'll bet it's real nice in winter. And, I hear the biking is great.
Old 09-10-2024, 05:46 PM
litcrazy

I'm looking at the end of December into early January.

Though I imagine that the variance is small in terms of snow risk--more of the variance year to year than an distinct difference.
Old 09-10-2024, 11:35 PM

Southern Spain, staying somewhere like Granada, or somewhere more rural into the Alpujarra.

Easy to get to, cheap, car and bike hire in the area I believe.

Fantastic roads, plus a huge gravel network (that can be steep), lovely scenery.

Still gonna be cold in the mornings though, particularly in the valleys.
Old 09-11-2024, 12:31 AM

Some road & gravel pics from last November : https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...postcount=9318
Old 09-11-2024, 02:27 AM
Bike Guy

I would recommend Malaga Spain for the quality of riding, likelihood of good weather, and diversity of things to do for the non cyclists.
Old 09-11-2024, 02:58 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

How about Sardinia or Corsica?
Old 09-11-2024, 06:23 AM

My vote is Southern Spain, somewhere near Granada. I've had a lot of friends ask me about our trip through Portugal and Southern Spain and this area is where I always recommend (although I also loved my time in Portugal). Granada is a beautiful city full of culture and great food. Drive 40 minutes South and you're in the heart of the Sierra Nevada Montanans. Rent a bike and get routes from this shop: https://www.sierranevada.cc

Great guy, great bikes and really cool town. Drive another 40 minutes South to Nerja and enjoy the beach. Malaga is also a cool place, but it's definitely a British holiday zone, so renting a house over Christmas may be over the budget. Honestly, I'd talk to the Sierra Nevada guy about places to stay - he may even have a rental house.

Stay somewhere in the interior with quick access to the beach if you want it and not too far away from the culture of Granada. Note: Alhambra is a site to see for sure, but super, duper touristy. Maybe rent a guide if you want to see it? My wife and I stayed in a rental house in the old town with views of Alhambra and walked basically around it and through the free parts one day. That was enough for me, but your milage may vary. Good luck with your choices, that's a beautiful area for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5609.jpg (115.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 09-11-2024, 06:30 AM

I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that for the Alhambra you should book online in advance as otherwise you're unlikely to get in during any holiday season.

I remember it being well worth a visit though.
Old 09-11-2024, 06:59 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychom View Post
I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that for the Alhambra you should book online in advance as otherwise you're unlikely to get in during any holiday season.

I remember it being well worth a visit though.
Correct on both counts. Definitely reserve ahead.

After watching the Bourdain Granada episode, that was going to be the finale of our southern Spain trip, and it's a don't miss.
Don't try to walk to it from town. It's an uphill hike.

There are snow capped peaks just north, northeast of town (November). The two bike shops in town had mostly e MTBs on the floor.
Old 09-12-2024, 02:00 AM

once again I can recommend southern Spain - Granada region - stable weather normally all through winter (although locals say February is the most risky month for bad weather)

we have a place in Almuñecar between Motril and Nerja on the coast with good rides for a week or so. Sierranevada.cc as recommended are based in Velez Benaudalla which is a bit away from the coast but better placed for riding as not so limited as on the coast.
Old 09-12-2024, 02:46 PM

Malaga. Much warmer than Granada in December/January. Lot's to do. Nice beaches, food, tourist stuff, etc.

Last edited by RonW87; 09-12-2024 at 03:00 PM. Reason: add photo