Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 03:23 PM

Janus cycling group/Dean customer service

A forumite asked about Dean quality on the Gravel Bike thread, rather than clutter that thread with this rather long post I am posting a separate thread.

I ordered a custom in late 2018 and it arrived early 2019 pretty close to estimated delivery. The quality was fantastic, but I hated the ride, way to stiff, I wasn't real clear about expectations and they didn't ask a lot of questions - so I sold it on here.

I ordered an Alan frameset earlier this year from VeloSport Imports (same parent company as Dean), it arrived with paint damage (shipping damage) and they were great about returning it. Rather than reordering another frame I decided to have them build a Ti gravel frame (about the same lead time). In the discussion I mentioned my dislike of the previous custom - their reply - Why didn't you tell us, we would have built you another frame at no added cost and you could have ridden your old one until the new one arrived They gave me a substantial discount on the new gravel frame set and build kit.

I am still waiting on delivery, but should arrive next month.

Janus cycling group owns AFAIK:

Dean Bikes
Merlin Bikes
VeloSport Imports
Knight Composite Wheels

Last edited by sokyroadie; 01-21-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
A forumite asked about Dean quality on the Gravel Bike thread, rather than clutter that thread with this rather long post I am posting a separate thread.

I ordered a custom in late 2018 and it arrived early 2019 pretty close to estimated delivery. The quality was fantastic, but I hated the ride, way to stiff, I wasn't real clear about expectations and they didn't ask a lot of questions - so I sold it on here.

I ordered an Alan frameset earlier this year from VeloSport Imports (same parent company as Dean), it arrived with paint damage (shipping damage) and they were great about returning it. Rather than reordering another frame I decided to have them build a Ti gravel frame (about the same lead time). In the discussion I mentioned my dislike of the previous custom - their reply - Why didn't you tell us, we would have built you another frame at no added cost and you could have ridden your old one until the new one arrived They gave me a substantial discount on the new gravel frame set and build kit.

I am still waiting on delivery, but should arrive next month.

Janus cycling group owns AFAIK:

Dean Bikes
Merlin Bikes
VeloSport Imports
Knight Composite Wheels
I'm not surprised by this. This is all John Sigrist, right? What a sweetheart of a guy. I contacted him years ago about adding disc tabs to my Dean 26er. Never happened, but when I saw him at Sacramento NAHBS a few years later and relayed our conversation, he knew exactly who I was, greeted me like an old friend, and gave me a "Dean" tee shirt.

I would gladly do business with him anytime.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:01 PM

Thanks for creating this thread and your thoughts on Dean. I am just getting ready to put in an order for a Grays All Road and had been scouring other forums to little avail. A friend pointed me over here and voila. Really helpful information re: customer service. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlx View Post
Thanks for creating this thread and your thoughts on Dean. I am just getting ready to put in an order for a Grays All Road and had been scouring other forums to little avail. A friend pointed me over here and voila. Really helpful information re: customer service. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum, the bike is posted in the custom bike forum:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=266662

Yo @ Dean is great to deal with.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
Welcome to the forum, the bike is posted in the custom bike forum:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=266662

Yo @ Dean is great to deal with.

Jeff
Was exchanging emails with Yo today to get ready to put in my order next week. Totally agreed. He as been really responsive and patient with my questions. First time ordering a Ti bike, and it looks like I have quite a bit of learning to do on this forum as I go through that process. Your note here about trying to be specific--or as specific as you can about things like stiffness--really made me re-evaluate.

Saw that thread with your gravel bike earlier. Good looking bike!
Old 03-25-2021, 07:29 AM
Shifty Member

I had a great Dean El Diente second-hand from another forumite that has now passed onto another forumite, but am in full agreement re: customer service.

Had a couple questions for them and they were awesome with chatting and info even though I wasn't who the bike was built for. Once I'm ready to unload my Ti Salsa Warbird, I'll most likely get in touch with them for a Torreys.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
I had a great Dean El Diente second-hand from another forumite that has now passed onto another forumite, but am in full agreement re: customer service.

Had a couple questions for them and they were awesome with chatting and info even though I wasn't who the bike was built for. Once I'm ready to unload my Ti Salsa Warbird, I'll most likely get in touch with them for a Torreys.
I actually have some question for them about the difference between the Torreys and the Grays All Road. They look almost identical to my eye with the primary difference being tire clearance. But that is down to using different forks. They don't post the geometry for the Grays but they do have it for the Torreys. Will post here if I learn anything interesting.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:58 PM

Same story here bought a random DEAN to a local dude who had no idea what it was. So I called CS which told me to send some pics via email and in 24hrs they got back with the history of the frame. Turned out to be a NAHBS frame, such a score.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210316_170822762_HDR.jpg (141.5 KB, 60 views)