Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 03:57 PM

Lugs limit geometry and tubing diameters as well. This may or may not matter for you. Lugs are classy, fillet can be just as nice, Tig is fine
Old 01-21-2021, 04:00 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Funny how some feel ok with perfectly implemented tig weld on ti but on steel, not. Funny to me.

Powder coated tigged steel fills in the weld to a less than minimal degree I'd note. Yes you can powder coat ti, but not seen often, never by me in person I can say.

Question is classic what sense? Looks or function.

Classic geometry in a tig/steel frameset can be lighter and stiffer clearly. Pick your desired asthetics by your own definition.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:07 PM

If you explicitly want classic, that -- to me -- is lugs or fillet, with a fork crown and horizontal top tube.

Would this Ellis fit you? It might be a touch too big; I don't know your numbers.
https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d...265023624.html
Old 01-21-2021, 04:07 PM

Don't overthink this. Get a bike that looks good to you from a builder you want to work with. There are no rules. Lugs can look great, fillet brazing can look great, tig can look great. I even like the look of TIG Indy Fab with the unicrown fork.

http://ifbikes.com/Bikes/steel-crown-jewel/
Old 01-21-2021, 04:08 PM

You should be quite amazed when you ride a steel bike with a steel fork designed for the rider. I wanted a lugged bike with a steel fork and had it build for me. To me lugs are a classic look and when you add modern steel it's all I would ever want.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:17 PM

Its hard to make a steel bike "classic" without lugs imo.

Maybe if one builds a rando bike w fenders and racks etc one can still get that classic vibe. That said one can ofc build a great looking steel bike with level toptube and no lugs and build it into a beautiful machine with tig welds or fillets but to get that classic look the lugs go along way.

I however think that most bikes that im drawn to always have something that is not typical for the type. Maybe for you that is to build a classic looking steel bike with no lugs and somehow find a balance of new n old?
Old 01-21-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I have slot left in the stable. It will be a classic steel frame bike with a steel fork...
You answered your own question Classic Steel = lugged

However if you're expecting some huge difference in the way it rides, then I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

I ride two classic lugged (Colnago and Merckx) steel frames and a Ti frame with carbon forks, and an all carbon bike. I can't tell a bit of difference between the ride of any of them, except I notice the Ti and the carbon bike are a bit lighter than the steel bikes. The geometry of all four bikes is relatively similar.
All have horizontal top tubes. YMMV.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:24 PM

Don't ask us. Get what appeals to you most. Hopefully, form will follow function, and the bike you choose rides great.

Or come shop in my garage.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Don't overthink this. Get a bike that looks good to you from a builder you want to work with. There are no rules. Lugs can look great, fillet brazing can look great, tig can look great. I even like the look of TIG Indy Fab with the unicrown fork.

http://ifbikes.com/Bikes/steel-crown-jewel/
OT: Can someone please explain - in layman's terms - the distinction between tig and fillet brazing? Is there a significant difference in ride quality and/or aesthetics?

Much appreciated.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
If you explicitly want classic, that -- to me -- is lugs or fillet, with a fork crown and horizontal top tube.

Would this Ellis fit you? It might be a touch too big; I don't know your numbers.
https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d...265023624.html
Too big, thanks. I had posted a WTB for a 58 Ellis awhile back. No takers.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Don't ask us. Get what appeals to you most. Hopefully, form will follow function, and the bike you choose rides great.

Or come shop in my garage.
Is the rose one for sale?
Old 01-21-2021, 04:35 PM

every material has it's own history and it's own style rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Funny how some feel ok with perfectly implemented tig weld on ti but on steel, not. Funny to me.

Powder coated tigged steel fills in the weld to a less than minimal degree I'd note. Yes you can powder coat ti, but not seen often, never by me in person I can say.

Question is classic what sense? Looks or function.

Classic geometry in a tig/steel frameset can be lighter and stiffer clearly. Pick your desired asthetics by your own definition.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
OT: Can someone please explain - in layman's terms - the distinction between tig and fillet brazing? Is there a significant difference in ride quality and/or aesthetics?

Much appreciated.
I'm not expert, but here goes:

TIG welding equals tungsten inert gas welding. It is used to join steel frame members and Ti frame members together without lugs or pins.

Brazing uses much less heat than welding. Welding is hot enough that is can change the microstructures of the base metal and affect the strength properties of the parent material (usually reduces the strength and stiffness in the heat affected zone).

Typical brazing allows the braze metal to just flow into the joint. Fillet brazing you're actually building the braze filler into large fillets at the junction areas. Typically brazing doesn't affect the base metal inherent properties nearly as significantly as welding does.

I'm sure some frame builder has a better explanation on their web site.

Mainly just aesthetics. In general TIG welds on Ti frames can be quite beautiful. Steel frames not usually the case. Fillet brazing can look quite nice, but again, IMHO, not as nice as a set of beautiful lugs.

Again I'm not an expert and YMMV.

Last edited by old_fat_and_slow; 01-21-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:36 PM

This may help. Disclosure, I have not watched it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f7H5DFtXhm0
Old 01-21-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Much appreciated.
https://www.missionbicycle.com/blog/...ng-bike-frames

See here. There will be no difference in ride quality, some difference in aesthetics.