Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 10:36 AM

Carbon wheels- Rim brake content

OK, so I’ve been thinking of trying some carbon wheels for the first time. Nothing too over-the-top price-wise, maybe something by Fulcrum?
What should I expect- yes I’ve heard about lousy braking in the rain. I would not anticipate using them (at least not deliberately) in wet conditions. And, they woud not be used for any alpine-type descents. Otherwise do they feel much different than alloy rims, harsher etc. Are they noisier when riding? These would be clinchers- any harder/easier mounting tires?
Any feedback appreciated, as well as any suggestions for purchases, thanks.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:51 AM

Braking power is going to be worse than alloy, but I found modulation and predictability on mine pretty great (Enve textured). Braking is noisy, on a lot of them but particularly on those. The more textured the brake track the more noise. There's for sure a little more noise while riding at speed but it's subtle and it's honestly kind of nice.

I actually found comfort to be great switching from HED Belgium+. Like, really great. I've worked at shops for some years but only at a high end road shop for a little under two years. I got on carbon about 10 months ago. What I found most noticeable which surprised me was how much it improved the comfort and the handling. Of course they're faster, they sprint better etc, but they really gave me a lot of confidence descending and cornering at speed, and were more comfortable than I had ever imagined.

Can't comment on specific wheels you're looking for, though I think a lot of folks here are on campy/fulcrum wheels. From coworkers and those I ride with- Campy wheels are phenomenal. I'd expect the same from Fulcrum. If you're unfamiliar with the 105% rule, you want your wheels to be about 105% the width of your tire. A lot of more affordable carbon wheels are narrow internal and not tubeless ready- if you can afford it or find them at your price point shoot for ones that are reasonably wide (somewhere around 20mm internal 27 ext would be great) and tubeless compatible.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:54 AM

modern rim brake carbon wheels, used with the appropriate pads are perfectly fine in the braking department these days. they would be a poor choice for a dedicated foul weather bike only because of the wear one might expect from any grit caught between the pads and the rim, but for a bike that will not intentionally see wet weather and absent the demands of super fast or steep descents, you'll be fine and braking will be on-par with what you are used to with alloy braking.

Even the less flashier companies like NOX and farsports make good brake track wheels these days.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:00 AM

Caveat Emptor ...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=242755
Old 01-21-2021, 11:04 AM

I don't understand the repeated statements that carbon rimmed wheels offer poorer rim brake performance in the rain than alloy rims do. I always found regular aluminum rims to offer pretty poor performance in the rain. Now, if we're talking Mavic rims with the ceramic brake track treatment then that's a different story, but I don't think most are.

Having ridden extensively on both Enve rims with the textured brake track and on Bontrager Aeolus XXX rims with their textured brake track, I find the wet weather performance of both of these rims to be far superior to any aluminum rim that I ever tried in my years of riding.

I have been using the Bontrager rims for about two years now and I find the power they offer and the control in the rain to be more than enough to slow my 188lb bike and body combo.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:59 AM
DELETE ACCNT

They are great, love carbon wheels. I keep the rims clean, and also clean out the pads and scrub off the glazing regularly. It helps a lot.
Adding latex tubes was a game changer too. They feel so 'fast' and light with them! Really surprised me.

Some of the most promising looking ones are Winspace Hypers. I plan on putting a set on my next build.
https://www.winspace.cc/wheels/road-..._disc_brake=47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
OK, so I’ve been thinking of trying some carbon wheels for the first time. Nothing too over-the-top price-wise, maybe something by Fulcrum?
What should I expect- yes I’ve heard about lousy braking in the rain. I would not anticipate using them (at least not deliberately) in wet conditions. And, they woud not be used for any alpine-type descents. Otherwise do they feel much different than alloy rims, harsher etc. Are they noisier when riding? These would be clinchers- any harder/easier mounting tires?
Any feedback appreciated, as well as any suggestions for purchases, thanks.

Last edited by pasadena; 01-21-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:17 PM

30 years riding in the mountains. 8-10ish on carbon rim brake wheels (Enve, Campagnolo, Chinese). *Oh yeah, all clinchers.

What you've heard about wet conditions is correct. Unquestionably inferior in braking to aluminum.

I choose other bikes when it's going to rain.

Last edited by bshell; 01-21-2021 at 12:23 PM. Reason: left out details/punctuation
Old 01-21-2021, 12:41 PM
I need you cool.

For the type of riding you describe, carbon rims will be fine.

I got a bike with some carbon wheels (my first foray into carbon wheels) a couple months ago (FSA Vision KOM) and they have been great. No real "rain" riding, but plenty of wet roads and fallen leaves.

No real change to how I brake or anticipate braking....just know your rims are wet and time your braking accordingly....no big deal.

As far as how they feel, they are very smooth, but I cannot tell if it is due to carbon tubes on bike, wider (30mm) tires (usually ride 23mm) or the wheels.....probably a combo of all with most going to the tires.

Cheers!

Last edited by Ozz; 01-21-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:44 PM

Dura Ace WH-R9100 C60 can be had for $1300. Nice carbon profile with an alloy brake track.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:29 PM

i think there are way too much variation in carbon brake tracks to make any blanket statements. Finishes, resin, etc are all different. Some of the newer textured brake tracks from zipp or campy are definitely far superior to older wheels in dry or wet. It really depends on the individual brands, and sometimes even models, as brake tracks from now compare to even 3 years ago are different for many brands.

But I'd still avoid carbon rim brake in the rain if at all possible, for the simple reason that the wear is so much worse, carbon is just too expensive to ride in the rain regularly.

Alu braking surface in the rain for the win, whether rim or disc. (not looking to start rim vs disc argument, I an good with both!)
Old 01-21-2021, 02:04 PM

I wonder if there's still a wealth of new composite tech that can be brought to bear...if wheel companies are willing to invest in the cost.

I see pricey carbon ceramic brake rotors in the motor world being sold as options on high end cars so the material for high heat capacity and braking capability is there...plus composite in aerospace I assume have to take a lot of temperature swings.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:44 PM

Just pulled a trigger on Bontrager Aeolus XXX 4 off eBay. Having ridden various stock aluminium wheels previously. Waiting for my brake pads to arrive and then I can let you know how it is.

(by the way, I only noticed this afterward I bought mine but there's this: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ghlight=aeolus).

I found the article here very helpful (read both parts)

https://intheknowcycling.com/best-ca...for-the-money/
Old 01-22-2021, 10:35 AM

After riding Shamal Mille wheels for several years I went back to carbon wheels, Lightweight Standard's. More smoother ride and comfortable for sure. As far as the braking goes not as good in dry conditions but I found it was more a braking feel than anything else. When riding in wet conditions again it was more of a feel for braking but it was definitely diminished braking power for sure.

I can't offer an opinion on newer carbon wheels with textured braking tracks but I can't see them not having much better braking power than older wheels.

One tip I will give you is if you plan to use these carbon wheels on a daily basis get in the habit of giving your brake tracks and pads a quick clean every couple of hundred miles or so.

Then there is the debate of brake pads which is another topic entirely.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
I wonder if there's still a wealth of new composite tech that can be brought to bear...if wheel companies are willing to invest in the cost.

I see pricey carbon ceramic brake rotors in the motor world being sold as options on high end cars so the material for high heat capacity and braking capability is there...plus composite in aerospace I assume have to take a lot of temperature swings.
We could probably get there--brake tracks have definitely gotten a lot better in the past 10 years, but since disc brakes seem to be taking over, at least at the high-end aerodynamic-centered market, I wouldn't be surprised if there is very limited investment into carbon rim brake engineering right now.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:42 AM

I asked this same question a while back and am confident that the newer carbon rim brakes are fine and you shouldn't worry. As long as you don't intentionally ride in the rain all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torelli View Post
After riding Shamal Mille wheels for several years I went back to carbon wheels, Lightweight Standard's. More smoother ride and comfortable for sure. As far as the braking goes not as good in dry conditions but I found it was more a braking feel than anything else. When riding in wet conditions again it was more of a feel for braking but it was definitely diminished braking power for sure.

I can't offer an opinion on newer carbon wheels with textured braking tracks but I can't see them not having much better braking power than older wheels.

One tip I will give you is if you plan to use these carbon wheels on a daily basis get in the habit of giving your brake tracks and pads a quick clean every couple of hundred miles or so.

Then there is the debate of brake pads which is another topic entirely.
You find a significant difference between the 2? I'm actually still deciding. I'm going with the shamal or bora one. Going to be my summer pair so still have some time