Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 04:01 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
I hope that Slam poetry and Krumping finally get the recognition they deserve.
👆🏼 yes.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:03 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Biden needed to weave to new generation, think Bernie supporters, an old white man doing it would of lost the punch.
Agreed. And Kennedy wanted to have the reassurance of older man.

In each case, the new president was looking for complementary things.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:31 PM

I was chatting with friends on FB about what would be a good New Year's poem, and someone sent me this--also Wendell Berry (who I did not know, I'm sorry to say).:

What We Need is Here

Geese appear high over us,
pass, and the sky closes. Abandon,
as in love or sleep, holds
them to their way, clear
in the ancient faith; what we need
is here. And we pray, not
for new earth or heaven, but to be
quiet in heart, and in eye,
clear. What we need is here.

- Wendell Berry
Old 01-21-2021, 05:36 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
Think any chance poetry will become more popular in schools, books, and public recitals?

no chance
Old 01-21-2021, 06:43 PM

I hope that art in general regains some footing ...
Old 01-21-2021, 08:32 PM

Tonight on NBC news, when asked what are her favorite reactions to her reading, she said the photos she has seen of children in their homes watching the inauguration and seeing themselves represented as the future and the change that is possible.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:36 PM

In a word, no.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellgate View Post
in a word, no.
+1
Old 01-22-2021, 08:49 AM

I married a poet. I have yet to win an argument and I'm a lawyer. Her mastery of language is unparalleled.

There is a wide range of poetry - some of which is horrible, a small amount of which is transcendent. Most of the public truly has no clue what a deep and varied art form it is. Unless you are an English or creative writing major, we are not taught much about this form or its importance throughout history.

Much poetry is written for a small audience, and read cautiously to the public only at the behest of a publisher - LOL. It is called one of the last free art forms, as it has little commercial influence or presence, written professionally by those who are compelled to do so out of a deep artistic calling.

Last edited by polyhistoric; 01-22-2021 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old 01-22-2021, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhistoric View Post
I married a poet. I have yet to win an argument and I'm a lawyer. Her mastery of language is unparalleled.

There is a wide range of poetry - some of which is horrible, a small amount of which is transcendent. Most of the public truly has no clue what a deep and varied art form it is. Unless you are an English or cretive writing major, we are not taught much about this form or its importance throughout history.

Much poetry is written for a small audience, and read cautiously only at the behest of a publisher - LOL. It is called one of the last free art forms, as it has little commercial influence or presence, written professionally by those who are compelled to do so out of a deep artistic calling.

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse.

What will your verse be?"

N.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhistoric View Post

There is a wide range of poetry - some of which is horrible, a small amount of which is transcendent. Most of the public truly has no clue what a deep and varied art form it is. Unless you are an English or cretive writing major, we are not taught much about this form or its importance throughout history.

Much poetry is written for a small audience, and read cautiously only at the behest of a publisher - LOL. It is called one of the last free art forms, as it has little commercial influence or presence, written professionally by those who are compelled to do so out of a deep artistic calling.
Good stuff.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse.

What will your verse be?"

N.
Ditto. This is a great thread. We all contain multitudes.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Ditto. This is a great thread. We all contain multitudes.
But mostly we contain platitudes.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:34 PM
Viva Chamucos

Quote:
Think any chance poetry will become more popular in schools, books, and public recitals? Let's hope so
Sadly, no. At this point we need to worry about getting kids just to read and to learn how to write, skills that have continued to decline over the decades and seem to have gotten worse with the advent of the internet, smart phones, social media, on line streaming, etc.

It’s not the kids’ fault, there are just so many easy distractions - see above, social media, internet, on line streaming.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
But mostly we contain platitudes.
If not certitudes....