Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 12:08 PM

I hate cycling shoe shopping

I have been giving clipless pedals a try after a long break. The pair I have now are a set of old nalini lace ups that don't fit great. I think my main problem is that my feet are a little wide but mostly that my big toe is really tall. Also I only wear birkenstocks and so my feet are used to some room and I really don't care for the super tight fit of a lot of cycling shoes. The best shoes I ever had was a set of old Sidi's mega's that are probably a size too big, I mostly wore them with the buckle undone or very loose. I still have those and they feel okay now but I would still like a little more room if possible. Those sidi's are plastic sole and since then I have owned a lot different carbon sole shoes although most of them are 10 years plus old (spec, nike, shimano, nalini, fizik) but they always seem to bother me. I guess a carbon sole shoes that fit perfect would be fine but their unforgiving nature just seems to cause me problems and adding some more cushion in the insole doesn't work because I need all the volume I can get.

So. I am looking for a cycling shoes with-

1. A big toe box, not just wide but tall. More room the better. I like my feet to float around and I don't care much about heel slip or whatever.
2. Plastic sole but I am sure the right carbon sole would work as well and I am willing to give anything a try.
3. Prefer no hyper crazy graphics but I can always spray paint them
4. Less ventilation if possible, my feet don't get hot but they do get cold.
5. Prefer a road shoe but might consider a mountain shoe

Options currently considering-

1. Recently I have tried some Lake cx175 size 46 wide, they feel okay but still wish I had more room in the toe box. Going one size up might do it but I am not really convinced.

2. When you search wide shoes you always get articles about Bont but they seem to be a real love hate thing for people. Their online fit chart says I should go with a 47 in the Riot. I am tempted to pick a pair up because it seems like the obvious answer. Does that heat forming thing reform the sole of the shoe or the upper?

3. Specialized torch 2.0, toe box looks boxy but maybe not that tall.

4. Shimano rc3 shoe. they are basic, plastic and come in wide. They don't seem to be available anyplace though.

Open to any suggestions/feedback/whatever. I hate online shoe shopping.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post

1. Recently I have tried some Lake cx175 size 46 wide, they feel okay but still wish I had more room in the toe box. Going one size up might do it but I am not really convinced.

2. When you search wide shoes you always get articles about Bont but they seem to be a real love hate thing for people. Their online fit chart says I should go with a 47 in the Riot. I am tempted to pick a pair up because it seems like the obvious answer. Does that heat forming thing reform the sole of the shoe or the upper?
Agree. Online shoe shopping sucks. You have to get to a shop, really, but appreciate that's not easy at this time.

Lake have different last's. It's worth trying more of them. Your CX175 used the CX/TX Sport last. The key note on this is: This last features a precisely fitted toe-box, high arch & mid width ball girth.

You want to try something with the CX/TX Competition last. The key note there is: Our Competition last features a more curved profile than the Sport last. The main differences include increased toe pitch & heel lift, a tighter heel & a slightly wider ball girth to allow the foot to expand under high pedaling pressures.

Or actually, in your case, the MX Competition last (mountain shoes): Featuring a larger toe box & tighter heel than the Comfort last and with slightly more overall volume than the Sport last. Exceptionally secure for hard riding/racing with enough room in the toe box to prevent binding when running up inclines or negotiating a hike-a-bike section. Designed for performance riding & racing.

I have a pair of CX238s and the toe box is really spacious, even in the standard width. I recommend going to try some on if you can.

Bont heat forming only reforms the sole, or rather, the bottom half of the shoe which is the composite part. The upper does not change (unless you forget about them and leave them in the oven for too long like I did and then they melt...)

Bear in mind, Bont's are still race fit shoes. They're just wide. They are not voluminous in the way you are looking for IMO. They still fit like slippers, with a form fitting shape, but with a wide toe box.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 01-20-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:40 PM

If the Sidis were kind of ok the new Dominator 10s have a much taller toe box than before. The soles do seem to have gotten stiffer over time, but they still have some flex.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:42 PM

To each their own...i can’t stand even slight loose cycling shoes because i find it makes it much harder to unclip.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:42 PM

I say a pair of custom Lucks. A bit more than those you've mentioned but custom Luck shoes have worked for me.

https://www.luck-bike.es/gb/
Old 01-20-2021, 01:33 PM

Did you try wide Lakes?

My every day shoes are Birks (size 49 regular), Keens (size 15 regular) and Xeros (size 15), all have very roomy toe boxes which I also need. I like my 50W Bont Vaypors for more aggressive riding because they fit "just" right which is code for "they fit perfectly now, but any foot changes will make them no bueno". One thing they do not have is a vertically roomy toe box.

I suggest trying the 2XX series Lake Competition last, roomiest toe box of them all in my experience.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:38 PM

I too have large toes. You should look into mountain bike shoes. Not xc racing style but “trail” or whatever that tend to fit more normally. I got a pair of giro ventanas recently and they are quite roomy and good to walk in but still plenty stiff. Much different fit than my Empire VR90s which I never wear anymore.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:42 PM

Sidi also makes a wide version.
They call it the "mega" version.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:05 PM

From my experience, Bont shoes have a lot of room in the toe box. I believe the latest ones have heat moldable insoles. Definitely a different feel compared to Sidi and Giro.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:07 PM

I know you mentioned that you want road shoes, but I think MTB shoes seem to have more wiggle room. I cant speak to the carbon thing, as the ones I would suggest aren't carbon, but theyre nice.

Specialized 2FO Cliplite are great shoes with room in the toe box. I don't have feet like yours and I found these to be roomy and comfy shoes.

Also, I decided to try flat pedal shoes for the first time. I found a set of Shimano GR5s for cheap and while I wear a 46 Specialized, I bought a 47 Shimano. These are flat soled shoes mind you, but I must say that they are very comfortable and roomy and just allow my feet to relax. They are too big, but in just the right way (kinda the way you suggest that you rode your old Sidis with the clasps open). The still conform to my feet but my feet can shift around. I know they make an SPD version of this shoe as well - I assume its the same fit, but for clips.

I tried the flat thing, but am not convinced. It just feels 'right' to be locked onto a bike when pedalling! These shoes and pedals are in my spare parts box
Old 01-20-2021, 02:15 PM

If you’re considering the specialized torch, maybe try to track down a pair of the specialized audax shoes. Roomier toe box, a bit wider, supportive uppers. I’ve had 3 pairs and love them
Old 01-20-2021, 02:29 PM

Lake CX241 Wide

I’ll suggest you take look at the Lake CX241wide shoes. They have a wide and tall toe box that I think you would find meets your needs. I have hammer toes so need a tall toe box, these shoes answer the call.
Good luck,
quattro
Old 01-20-2021, 03:08 PM

They make a high volume model of the Giro Empire for both mountain and road, and they do free returns/exchanges if you're not sure on size. Some people have a hard time nailing down their size on those shoes, especially online. They also come with 3 different insoles to dial in fit. They're both great but the mtb model is decently more forgiving to walk around in, but still more than stiff enough to not get hot spots.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:04 PM

Bonts in wide would tick a lot of your boxes. The widest toebox I've experienced (have ridden Lake, Shimano, Sidi in wide fit*). They're also heat moldable which is a bit of a process but it allows you to push out areas which are troublesome.

They feature a 'bathtub' style construction which gives a really nice platform to work against. Even though there is so much room inside the shoe I always feel super secure when pushing against the pedal.

The only negative - actually, not so much negative, but different - point about Bonts is they are a very, very 'hard' shoe. Extremely different to anything you would have experienced, and it takes a little getting used to. Most people benefit from going up a size from their typical, from memory Bont recommend adding 5mm or so to your measurements when comparing against size charts.

Another point with Bonts is as well as heat molding, it is worth teaming them up with a quality cycling specific insole. If you don't have a preference already, Specialized insoles are a good place to start. There are others which I'm sure you can find if you Google, I've just had luck so far with Specialized ones.

*Wide fit is a funny one with cycling shoes. Lake and Bont are the only manufacturers that actually do a 'wide' shoe. Shimano and Sidi are 'high volume', so the last of the shoe doesn't actually change.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I say a pair of custom Lucks. A bit more than those you've mentioned but custom Luck shoes have worked for me.

https://www.luck-bike.es/gb/
Yep!! Love my Luck shoes!! will probably be ordering another pair with 'Satellite' (another PL member) soon.

you can check out the info I posted here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ght=Luck+shoes