Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2020, 06:14 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Talking

You have a really sweet entertainment room, @booglebug.
Be careful with that sweet Pegoretti one of the kids doesn't race in to watch television and knock it over!
Seriously though, very nice. Enjoy it.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Yes, but it should be a Luigino. Otherwise I'd say pursue a full steel frame and fork from another master of the trade. Kirk, Sachs, Ellis, DiNucci, Rex, or others past and present build complete framesets that sing a special song because they are an integrated whole. A carbon fork is a compromise, usually made for cost or weight considerations, or because the builder doesn't know how to make a good steel fork. IMHO, if you already have a disc carbon wunderbik, there's no reason to go half-way and pursue a steel frame with a carbon fork. The Falz is great, don't get me wrong - so much nicer than ENVE, but it doesn't hold a candle to a steel fork that is tuned for your weight and made to match the frame it's going on.
This, listen to the Tooth.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:22 PM

Just do it. I will always have a steel bike and if you are gonna go steel thats a hell of a way to start.

Last edited by soulspinner; 12-09-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Yes, but it should be a Luigino. Otherwise I'd say pursue a full steel frame and fork from another master of the trade. Kirk, Sachs, Ellis, DiNucci, Rex, or others past and present build complete framesets that sing a special song because they are an integrated whole. A carbon fork is a compromise, usually made for cost or weight considerations, or because the builder doesn't know how to make a good steel fork. IMHO, if you already have a disc carbon wunderbik, there's no reason to go half-way and pursue a steel frame with a carbon fork. The Falz is great, don't get me wrong - so much nicer than ENVE, but it doesn't hold a candle to a steel fork that is tuned for your weight and made to match the frame it's going on.
If Dario thought the forks were good enough for his bikes, then carbon forks are good enough for steel bikes, imo.

Steel forks are great, but there's a reason he built the Falz.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
You have a really sweet entertainment room, @booglebug.
Be careful with that sweet Pegoretti one of the kids doesn't race in to watch television and knock it over!
Seriously though, very nice. Enjoy it.
Thanks, since this photo I’ve had the headset and a BB anodized red, bought this nos on this fourm. Reluctant to build this up since probably not many new Pegoretti’s around
Old 12-09-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
Thanks, since this photo I’ve had the headset and a BB anodized red, bought this nos on this fourm. Reluctant to build this up since probably not many new Pegoretti’s around
That's just silly. Use it!

And for those touting the Luigino? Horrible frames! Especially with a 54 TT. Stay away from those for sure.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:54 PM

I still lust for a custom team...
Old 12-09-2020, 06:56 PM
formerly Landshark_98

A Marcelo makes you break out singing Italian operas and dreaming of the Dolomites when you ride it. If it's a steel race bike that's calling you, there may be some peers out there but not many.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2020, 07:00 PM
PegoNagos

Yes. Just get one. I ride my Colnago and my Pinarello more than my Pegoretti, but if I could only keep one it would be the Peg.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:16 PM

Retro

I also ride a modern carbon bike, gravel bike too. But it is titanium.

I asked myself the same question- I decided that for me I don't need a high priced steel bike that has limited tire clearance.

I do agree that a Pegoretti is a cool frame for many reasons- But for me, and what they cost, I would not buy one.

I'd get a Scarab, Rock Lobster, or Falconer made for as much clearance as possible on a rim brake bike and have $ left over for the build.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:25 PM

I have a BLE that I got in late 2006. I had it with me in Sardinia where I hit 100Km/hr a few times on the same descent, rode on Via Appia in mainland Italy, did a sub 10 hour Seattle to Portland on standard 3X box rimmed wheel set, and rode it hard enough in NE Texas to need a new paint job. Last year, I replaced the original Reynolds Ouzo Pro with a Falz, the fork that bike should have always had.

For comparison, I have a Merckx ML Leader, the BLE is an MX Leader that does more than go fast in a straight line and weighs several pounds less. I pushed it into a >180 degree hairpin at 40 mph, waiting for the bike to slide out, and it never did.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:43 PM

Dario

When I was much younger and fancied myself to be a strong racer boy I asked Dario which of his bike I should get. He said a Duende or a Responsorium, not Marcelo, and definitely not a BLE. So I got a stock Responsorium with a steel fork with a subdued black paint job.

I would show up in our mid-summer training camps in the Sierras with this thing doing 10K days for 5 consecutive days. All of my teammates would be on our latest carbon team bikes, many with carbon wheels, half of them thought I was just me being me and the other half thought I was delusional.

I even tried to out Dario Dario and had a custom bike built based on my peg's geometry to try to improve it. Nope.

More than 10 years later it's the only bike in my stable that has logged over 15K miles. I have many other bikes, none which have more than half the mileage. It's the bike I rode the most.

There is nothing objective that I can communicate why this is so, but it is so. It's not lighter, not stiffer, not flasher, not more planted, not faster, not more springy, not more cleaner welds, not able to hold more power while throwing up, not winning more races. It is just the bike that I rode the most over the last 3000+ rides that I logged, by an order of magnitude.

I have a Round in the works but imagine Dario telling me that it's too much of a bike for me. He will be proven right. I will find out.

Last edited by MarinRider; 12-09-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinRider View Post
When I was much younger and fancied myself to be a strong racer boy I asked Dario which of his bike I should get. He said a Duende or a Responsorium, not Marcelo, and definitely not a BLE. So I got a stock Responsorium with a steel fork with a subdued black paint job.

I would show up in our mid-summer training camps in the Sierras with this thing doing 10K days for 5 consecutive days. All of my teammates would be on our latest carbon team bikes, many with carbon wheels, half of them thought I was just me being me and the other half thought I was delusional.

I even tried to out Dario Dario and had a custom bike built based on my peg's geometry to try to improve it. Nope.

More than 10 years later it's the only bike in my stable that have logged over 15K miles. I have many other bikes, none which have more than half the mileage. It's the bike I rode the most.

There is nothing objective that I can communicate why this is so, but it is so. It's not lighter, not stiffer, not flasher, not more planted, not faster, not more springy, not more cleaner welds, not able to hold more power while throwing up, not winning more races. It is just the bike that I rode the most over the last 3000+ rides that I logged, by an order of magnitude.

I have a Round in the works but image Dario telling me that it's too much of a bike for me. He will be proven right. I will find out.

Do you think Dario’s advice was based on your particular body size or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Do you think Dario’s advice was based on your particular body size or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something else.

I don’t think Dario’s mind worked in a reductionist and formulaic way. It’s more like you have a conversation, a dialog really. I would like to think he was able to integrate all aspects of our 5 minute exchange on a trade show floor, and rendered a subjective opinion that I can still hang my hat on to this day.

I wanted him to be wrong. More than a few times. I have another Peg of different model just to see if he was wrong. Nope.

I did not know him as a friend so this is all conjecture.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:17 PM

YES!!! I have a Duende and it is an amazing bike. I’ll never part with it. You’ll never regret getting a Peg.