Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Aeron mesh seat/back cuts both ways. Cooler in summer but also doesn’t trap heat in winter. That’s the worst thing I can say about it. it’s a great chair for my needs
Good point

Here in Madison, it never really gets that hot, but we just turned off the heat this week (hopefully). For the past six months, we've been running the house at 62 F but have a space heater in the office to get things even warmer. Mesh would probably not be so nice.

Then again, last year, we were in Philly, and the old styled apartment first had window units, followed by a split duct, neither of which was particularly good at removing moisture (well, the window unit was, but damn it was loud). Mesh seating would have been nice there.

I guess a nice gel seating would be really nice, but I don't think those are commonly offered.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:27 PM

As if we even need another endorsement,

My alma mater (And C40's I believe) had Aeron chairs in the library and radio station, where I spent most of my time.

I could really use one instead of this antique dining chair I've been spending my days on lately...
Old 05-20-2020, 05:47 PM

Steelcase Amia, half price on CL... great chair
Old 05-20-2020, 06:54 PM

Definintely check out the used office furniture supply shops in your area. The one in my area carries Steelcase and Herman Miller at much less than 50%.

I had a Steelcase Sensor chair for 25 years; it's like an older version of the Leap. Comfortable, customizable, and durable.

I picked up (and I'm sitting in now!) a Herman Miller Aeron from a craigslist ad which is definitely not a clone. Paid a mere $100!

The only feature of the Aeron I don't like is, the bottom of the piston assembly sits too close to the carpet, and it inhibits free rolling on the wheels.

There was more clearance with my Steelcase chair so I didn't have that problem. Also, the wheels were specifically made for carpet. Like I said, it was customizable.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
My second bike seat

Comfortable but on Craig’s list
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E1236956-00D5-4BCD-B60F-1EDC12903D16.jpg (86.8 KB, 151 views)
SN# HC-54-265
Old 05-20-2020, 07:26 PM

Hope I'm not late to the game - Aeron user at work for 16 yrs. Tried the Steelcase leap, but was not as comfy for me.

Have the Sayl at home and it's not in the same league. The back support is not as compliant and the arms don't lock so they are always raising and lowering and it's a one-way mech (you have to pull up to get them to go all the way back down). There are millions of lightly used Aeron's on Craigslist.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhistoric View Post
Hope I'm not late to the game - Aeron user at work for 16 yrs. Tried the Steelcase leap, but was not as comfy for me.

Have the Sayl at home and it's not in the same league. The back support is not as compliant and the arms don't lock so they are always raising and lowering and it's a one-way mech (you have to pull up to get them to go all the way back down). There are millions of lightly used Aeron's on Craigslist.
Good to know!
Old 05-20-2020, 09:11 PM

In the end decided to splurge a bit and got a Herman Miller Mirra 2 from a local dealer. Came down to choosing between the refurb Steelcase Gesture (~$770 before taxes), a new Gesture (~$950) and a new Mirra 2 (~$870 for the options I wanted). Before making the "investment" (I mean splurge), I really wanted to try out the actual chair, and given the long lead-in time, I think I still have a few weeks to try out the chair at the local dealer. They also carry items from Human Scale (also on sale), so I'm hoping to be actually able to find something I like. The Human Scale actually has an option for gel seating, which I think I would prefer to foam.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:33 PM

Buying a 8-12 hour/day task chair based only on internet recommendations from others might be pure folly, especially if the purchase cost is high. It is close to bicycle fit, in that actually physically trying chairs out is imperative.

I tried all the chairs mentioned here (and quite a few others, from Herman Miller, Knoll, Steelcase, HAG, Humanscale...) at least once, in some cases 2-3 times, and that was well worth it, as my expectations were quickly corrected in many cases. I really despised the HM Sayl and Mirra for instance, and originally thought I would love them.

What I thought I would love (some HM models, mainly, also Humanscale) felt awful or just did not fit well. What I ended up buying (Steelcase "Think") was not even on my initial list but was/is definitely the best choice for my needs. For comparison's sake, my final 3 candidates were Knoll "Life" and Herman Miller "Aeron" (size C).

But again, there is nothing like trying on the chair irl, even if only for 15 minutes.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Another fan of the Aeron. I've had it for at least 10+ years, maybe longer and the only minor problem is the little thigh pad doesn't stay in place any longer...but I'm sure I could replace it.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:18 AM

I don't mess around, this is what I use with risers to get height up
https://shop.stressless.com/en/recli...59315094154511
Old 05-21-2020, 09:48 AM

Well, it turns out that the old office chair that I got from my work when they updated 10 years ago was an old Herman Miller chair.

It is indeed one of the best chair I have used. Only issue a creaking noise when I lean backward. So I guess I should invest some time in lubrication, etc.

Last edited by tuxbailey; 05-21-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estilley View Post
As if we even need another endorsement,

My alma mater (And C40's I believe) had Aeron chairs in the library and radio station, where I spent most of my time.

I could really use one instead of this antique dining chair I've been spending my days on lately...
Well...when I briefly worked at WRCU, the transmitter was hand-cranked and I sat on wood crates.

My time in the Chenango Valley predated the Aeron chair.

Wait, there was a library on campus?

You certainly should treat yourself to an Aeron chair! Think of it this way...if you use it for the next ten years, it will cost you maybe a buck a week!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-21-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Well, it turns out that the old office chair that I got from my work when they updated 10 years ago was an old Herman Miller chair.

It is indeed one of the best chair I have used. Only issue a creaking noise when I lean backward. So I guess I should invest some time in lubrication, etc.
More vitamin D in your diet should take care of that creaking, or perhaps some glucosamine chondroitin.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-21-2020, 10:08 AM
Administrator

tux that chair is gross dude. time for a bath!