Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 10:53 AM

OT: buying a new office chair

I have been teleworking full-time for the past four years and part-time for the year or so before that. During this time I've mostly sat on a basic office chair bought ~1996 (back when I was in elementary school). The foam in it is completely shot and worthless. Don't really know how I stuck with it for so long, but I did. I guess this is another way of me saying perhaps my requirement for padding might not be so stringent.

Steelcase, Herman Miller, and Crandall (who refurbishes Steelcase chairs) are all having sales, and I'm wondering whether to go with a Steelcase (Gesture or Leap II) or a Herman Miller (either Aeron or Mira). Really don't know what are the factors that would make one more suitable on one specific model/brand. Fwiw, I'm 174 cm tall, about 71.5 kg. Could lose some inches around my waist, but even at my leanest (haven't been there in four years), I was only down to 68.5 kg.

So I don't think I'm that demanding on chairs, but something that encourages good back posture is a plus, as I have mild back curvature. Thoughts on any of the four chairs mentioned?

I'm also somewhat intrigued about the mesh seating surface of some of the Herman Miller chairs and wonder if such surfaces would make for a less clammy feel during the summer.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-20-2020, 10:59 AM

getting ready to buy one as well. I like this one best:

Sayl. Had some good reviews but I'd really like to sit in one first.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:00 AM

I have a Herman Miller Aeron at the office and it is really nice in terms of lumbar adjustability. I found it comfortable when sitting correctly in it but I got lazy and would slouch in it for 8+ hours. Totally negated the whole lumbar support of it.

I'm thinking that slouching for that long in that chair contributed to my 2 herniated discs. That pain peaked when we got sent home for corona around March 17th. I use a varier balans chair at home and get up often (fridge breaks lol). The sciatic nerve pain from the herniated discs is gone and I contribute the better posture and no slouching to it.

Anyway - sorry to derail but yes, a good chair is very important in my opinion. Worth the cost. Just dont lame out and slouch in them like I did. And get up often too!
Old 05-20-2020, 11:04 AM

I had an Aeron office chair at work many years ago, then ran across one at a yard sale, new in box, for short money. Been using it as my primary work chair, at home, for the past 15 years.

Very comfortable, nicely configurable, and the mesh back and bottom are cool and comfortable. Mine has an adjustable lumbar support, a pad that slides up/down and is reversible for depth (one side provides more support than the other). If I had to buy another chair, I'd buy the same one in a heartbeat...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 12.02.10 PM.png (51.2 KB, 373 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 05-20-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:05 AM
n - 1

Our office got new chairs last year. HM Aeron’s. Had another HM model before with the rubberized mesh backing. This one’s cloth. I like the cloth much better. Conforms to my back better and feels better. My office is kept pretty cool so I don’t sweat but I’d imagine if it were warmer, mesh would help there.

Great chair. And when I need to stretch out, I got outfitted with a standing desk this year as well.

Edit: C40 Guy beat me to it!!

Old 05-20-2020, 11:09 AM

Steelcase leap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2020, 11:13 AM

This piques my interest since I am WFH.

Anyone had experience with this? 3/4 cheaper with some "imperfection"

https://www.madisonseating.com/aeron...tch-clone.html
Old 05-20-2020, 11:17 AM

I needed a new office chair a few years ago and started looking around. At that time I lived in NJ and stumbled upon a sort of warehouse office furniture place. They had some new stuff but lots of used as well, including some of the brands mentioned above. Poked through the inventory and found a chair that I liked. It turned out to be a Humanscale Different World, looked like new (they had number of these) - guy says $150, sold! It is a comfortable chair and is holding up well. I had no idea this was a nearly $1000 chair, so you might look for a place like this in your area. I suspect they pick up surplus from closed offices.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post

If that damage turns out to be a problem down the road, a replacement upper section runs $200 here.

Sounds like a nobrainer.

The lumbar pads are available as an add-on for $60 from the same eretailer...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-20-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post

The reviews for Madison Seating aren't so good. I have known about them for at least a few years, and had it had a better reputation, I would have bought a chair a few years ago. Some of the reviews aren't so great, and it also has past records of not being fully upfront (re: the fact that the products it sells are not new). Note that Madison Seating's founder initially agreed to advertising the chairs in a certain way on another website he owns, but refused to do so on Madison Seating, thereby drawing the ire of Herman Miller.

It also labels the products it sells as "open box". My definition of that is someone uses it for less than a short period (say 30-90 days), didn't like it, and returned it. Such products are quite rare. What it is actually selling are used products, and is basically taking advantage of the fact that there is no legally recognized definition to "open box", ergo it can advertise a whole slew of conditions as such.

Btw, the product to which you linked is the A-size (for those whose height is below median). I seem to recall that you ride a size 54 ish bike, which most likely means that it has a decent chance of not fitting properly

Last edited by echappist; 05-20-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:33 AM

I just bought this one: https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...nings-Big-And/

It's big and tall, and while my weight doesn't necessarily justify the need, I like the more supportive padding and overbuilt quality. This chair is very comfortable without feeling to cushy that I'm too relaxed to work!
Old 05-20-2020, 11:43 AM

Aerons are great chairs, and 100% rebuildable. Since they were the standard office chair for so long, you can pick up used or damaged ones on craigslist for a song, replace the broken pieces, and have yourself a great chair for little money and some elbow grease.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:50 AM
Member?

HAG Capisco

The only chair that does not give me back issues. I have one at home and at the office. I use them with a fixed height desk and an adjustable standing desk.

Take a look at the vendor's 30 return policy too.

https://www.fully.com/chairs/hag-capisco-chair.html
Old 05-20-2020, 11:51 AM
aka RAEKWON

Aeron all day long. I work at many places and once in a while there are some offices that like to cheap out and get a crappy chair. a few days later my back is KILLING me, then I get back to an office with Aerons and its bliss.

They are expensive but they are worth it. I wish I had one at my home office now that I am working from home (I just could not justify since I rarely used to work at home but now I wish I had bought one years ago).
Old 05-20-2020, 11:52 AM

Picked up a Steelcase Gesture for half price on CL just before lockdown. Nicest chair I've used. Has most adjustments than I really needed, but price was right. I have some concern it might be on the warm side, but no experience yet.

I really like the arm adjustments, easy to move out of your way when you want that.