Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 12-20-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
It was a long time ago so I don't recall the details of these two rides. I'll bet I used Reynolds 725 main tubes and probably the first generation of my custom chainstays. More info that that would require some digging through old paperwork.

I hope you like the ride.

dave
I got my hands on it Friday. Some honest cosmetic wear but all I can say is WOW! As much as we need the snow, I want winter over so I can get this beauty built and out for a first ride.

I gave it a quick clean and polish yesterday which allowed me a close up look at your work. I am so impressed with the quality that still shines through after all these years. The way the seat stays are spaced off the seat clamp lug, the shape and crimps on the chain stays, fork blade shapes, that bottom bracket, etc, etc....

Such quality!

A bunch more pics here from some quick grabs yesterday.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=262699
Old 12-20-2020, 09:36 AM

Great snag! I so wanted this bike to have shorter tt. Your son would have placed a couple extra clicks.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:17 PM

I do wonder about the size of the "larger one" out in Vegas. I'll have to keep that one filed away into memory...
Old 12-21-2020, 04:59 PM

A full stainless Onesto fork for a warm and gray Monday.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1476.jpg (65.4 KB, 527 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1483.jpg (76.3 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1485.jpg (132.0 KB, 525 views)
Old 12-21-2020, 06:41 PM

Oh My Goodness. That is absolutely gorgeous; I bet the ride is even better! Lucky new owner who gets this frame and fork.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:52 PM

dang that is beautiful ! looks like it belongs in a jewelers case
Old 12-21-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:

dave
I hope you don't mind the copy-pasta from your IG post today, but it's simply too good not to share with the folks here who aren't there......
As a framebuilder I think of the fork as part of a frameset and not a component that one can replace with just any other component you might find. It’s not like a stem or seat post but instead it plays a large part in how the completed bike rides and handles. Each fork is made to match the frame and act as part of a system. The stiffness is matched to the rider and how they will use the bike, the rake is matched to the head angle to give the proper trail and steering feel, and the alignment is spot on every time since I don’t have to live with whatever pops out of the mold.

Why don’t more makers build their own forks? Good question. It’s certainly faster and easier to just pull a generic fork out of a box and call it good and that’s hardly a crime. But I want more for my bikes.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJE1x8qlkvN/
Old 12-22-2020, 12:28 PM

Just a week ago I shared a few photos of a JK Special that was bound for Kuala Lumpur...and yesterday I got photos of the bike all assembled accompanied by a first-ride report. I love ride reports. I pride myself on the way the bikes look of course but the real test is how they ride. I can teach my cat how to make stuff shiny but picking all the specs to give the right ride is a much bigger deal.

Here's what the owner had to say - "Just had my first ride on the bike... A short hilly one and it was an absolute pleasure. The ride quality and the handling is totally on another level. Can't thank you enough for building me such a superb bike and I look forward to many more hours on it."

That and the lush photo made my day. it's snowing sideways here right now and that green and lush backdrop looks pretty darn good to me.

Happy Holidays all -

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201222_085041.jpg (156.9 KB, 488 views)
Old 12-22-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Just a week ago I shared a few photos of a JK Special that was bound for Kuala Lumpur...and yesterday I got photos of the bike all assembled accompanied by a first-ride report. I love ride reports. I pride myself on the way the bikes look of course but the real test is how they ride. I can teach my cat how to make stuff shiny but picking all the specs to give the right ride is a much bigger deal.

Here's what the owner had to say - "Just had my first ride on the bike... A short hilly one and it was an absolute pleasure. The ride quality and the handling is totally on another level. Can't thank you enough for building me such a superb bike and I look forward to many more hours on it."

That and the lush photo made my day. it's snowing sideways here right now and that green and lush backdrop looks pretty darn good to me.

Happy Holidays all -

dave
Wow. That is an incredible build - Darimo post, AX Lightness wheels, THM cranks - has to be a ton of fun to ride.. And do I spy a Campy Record headset on there? Magnifique. I hope the new owner finds their way here and shares more of their background and future rides on that beauty.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:43 PM
ZhugeLiang

Very pretty!

This automatically qualified as a "rare bird" over in SE Asia where 9 out of 10 bikes in a group ride are carbonized S or T. When I was over there with my custom steel, at every ride start, I get the usual question and look, "Is this steel??!" "How much does it weigh?" "Can you keep up?" ...hahaha....

This is a ride report that I made from a trip across the causeway to Malaysia to ride up a mountain. A local fella requested to take a picture with my bike.

Last edited by weisan; 12-23-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:

dave
Does not get any better, IMO.....
Old 01-15-2021, 01:12 PM

"Idle hands make fretful minds" - Shelley Shepard Gray

I've run into a bit of a material supply issue related to Covid and I don't sit around very well...so the set of lugs and BB I had sitting in a drawer waiting to be completely reshaped to match the image in my head came out and I had some fun putting the imagined shape into metal.

Photographing raw lugs is always problematic - they need context and tubes in them to make the most sense. But these will give a rough idea of the shape I've had bouncing around for a while now.

So many lug shapes of old look like the doilies my grandmother knit. Nice in their own way but not my thing. I like long simple lines with a bit of asymmetry to make the eye and mind wander around the part.

Now I just need a bike to build these into! If these blow up your skirt let me know and we'll use them as the basis for your new ride.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1563.jpg (66.7 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1567.jpg (70.0 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1575.jpg (60.1 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1577.jpg (69.7 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1579.jpg (69.9 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1587.jpg (66.2 KB, 294 views)
Old 01-15-2021, 05:01 PM
ZhugeLiang

Very nice! Conjures up the image of a superhero in my head...
Old 01-15-2021, 11:45 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

You say a little symmetry.....I say a little symmetry & a little non-symmetry my friend. I really dig the design. Appears to be a nice artistic balance.

Quote:
"Idle hands make fretful minds" - Shelley Shepard Gray

I've run into a bit of a material supply issue related to Covid and I don't sit around very well...so the set of lugs and BB I had sitting in a drawer waiting to be completely reshaped to match the image in my head came out and I had some fun putting the imagined shape into metal.

Photographing raw lugs is always problematic - they need context and tubes in them to make the most sense. But these will give a rough idea of the shape I've had bouncing around for a while now.

So many lug shapes of old look like the doilies my grandmother knit. Nice in their own way but not my thing. I like long simple lines with a bit of asymmetry to make the eye and mind wander around the part.

Now I just need a bike to build these into! If these blow up your skirt let me know and we'll use them as the basis for your new ride.

dave
Old 01-16-2021, 12:26 AM

Dave, these could be a option on any of your bikes.
I would pay extra for some hand craved lugs and I think others would too.