Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-09-2020, 08:10 PM
trener1 trener1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 973
Western Catskills Riding

I'll be heading up to the western catskills area for a month.
Wondering if anyone else is in the area and would like to meet up a for a ride (road, gravel, mtb).
And/Or if anyone has any route recommendations?
I will be staying around Margaretville/Roxbury
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-2020, 08:14 PM
AngryScientist's Avatar
AngryScientist AngryScientist is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: northeast NJ
Posts: 25,534
yes.

love the catskills.

many, many great rides.

i just did a 67 on the road today that was gorgeous.

are you free all week or just weekends?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2020, 08:16 PM
trener1 trener1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 973
Yeah there is definitely some great riding up there
I wont be 100% free but I will have the flexibility to ride during the week.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2020, 08:45 AM
verticaldoug verticaldoug is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,197
You should schedule one ride down on the south bank of the West Branch from around Hale Eddy to Hancock. I like that area. Or you can just meander along the Old State Rd on the north side.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2020, 08:48 AM
trener1 trener1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 973
Thank you, have no idea where either of those places are but I will look them up.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2020, 10:51 AM
adampaiva adampaiva is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 1,356
I'm in the Catskills most of the time (for this summer) but not that far west. I've been doing some riding over in that direction but more towards the Delaware. Feel free to peruse my rwgps.
https://ridewithgps.com/users/171883

User Fiamme Red is also an encyclopedia of road knowledge for the area.

What month will you be here? The rest of August I'm moving around but I imagine I will be here most of September (unless I find a job very quickly).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-13-2020, 03:47 PM
fiamme red's Avatar
fiamme red fiamme red is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,477
I did a ride up to that area on Monday. I enjoyed some spectacular scenery on roads north of Fleischmanns and east of Roxbury.

If you want a less hilly option, you can ride around the Pepacton Reservoir. That seems to be a popular route for local cyclists.

The one road in the area that I try to avoid is Route 10. On the other hand, County Route 18 that parallels Route 10 (on the other side of the West Branch Delaware River) is flat and very pretty. If you like dirt trails, there's the flat Catskill Scenic Trail that extends from Grand Gorge to Bloomville: http://catskillscenictrail.org/wp-co...xburyMap9O.pdf.

County Route 6 from Margaretville through New Kingston and Bovina Center to Route 28 is scenic. I rode that a few weeks ago.

PM me if you'd like some more ideas for routes.
__________________
It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that certain je ne sais quoi.
--Peter Schickele
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-13-2020, 10:54 PM
trener1 trener1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 973
Hey There,

Thanks, I am here now, but I will be here for the first week of September as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
I'm in the Catskills most of the time (for this summer) but not that far west. I've been doing some riding over in that direction but more towards the Delaware. Feel free to peruse my rwgps.
https://ridewithgps.com/users/171883

User Fiamme Red is also an encyclopedia of road knowledge for the area.

What month will you be here? The rest of August I'm moving around but I imagine I will be here most of September (unless I find a job very quickly).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2020, 11:00 PM
trener1 trener1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 973
Thanks.
When you say "north of Fleischmanns and east of Roxbury" do you mean like Red Kill road and the roads around there?
I did a gravel ride up back there on Tuesday, some super tough hilly roads, almost broke me .

Yesterday I did a loop from Denver out to almost Bovina and back down through New Kingston and Roxbury, so part of the way back I was on Rt 6, really nice, but man lots of climbing, was something like 41 miles with 5600 feet of climbing.
I'm actually staying in Denver which is kind of in a valley outside of Roxbury, so it seems anywhere I go involves some big climbs, Even if I go to the reservoir, it's like a 4 mile climb to get from rt 30 over the ridge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I did a ride up to that area on Monday. I enjoyed some spectacular scenery on roads north of Fleischmanns and east of Roxbury.

If you want a less hilly option, you can ride around the Pepacton Reservoir. That seems to be a popular route for local cyclists.

The one road in the area that I try to avoid is Route 10. On the other hand, County Route 18 that parallels Route 10 (on the other side of the West Branch Delaware River) is flat and very pretty. If you like dirt trails, there's the flat Catskill Scenic Trail that extends from Grand Gorge to Bloomville: http://catskillscenictrail.org/wp-co...xburyMap9O.pdf.

County Route 6 from Margaretville through New Kingston and Bovina Center to Route 28 is scenic. I rode that a few weeks ago.

PM me if you'd like some more ideas for routes.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2020, 11:23 PM
fiamme red's Avatar
fiamme red fiamme red is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Thanks.
When you say "north of Fleischmanns and east of Roxbury" do you mean like Red Kill road and the roads around there?
I did a gravel ride up back there on Tuesday, some super tough hilly roads, almost broke me .

Yesterday I did a loop from Denver out to almost Bovina and back down through New Kingston and Roxbury, so part of the way back I was on Rt 6, really nice, but man lots of climbing, was something like 41 miles with 5600 feet of climbing.
I'm actually staying in Denver which is kind of in a valley outside of Roxbury, so it seems anywhere I go involves some big climbs, Even if I go to the reservoir, it's like a 4 mile climb to get from rt 30 over the ridge.
That's a lovely area where you're staying, but if you're not riding on Route 28 or Route 30, it's hard to avoid climbing.

Heading north from Fleischmanns, I took Lake St/Halcott Center Rd/CR 3. Very scenic but not steep. Then I took Silas Lake Rd/Red Kill Rd west (steep dirt), and descended Little Red Kill Rd back to Fleischmanns. Then I climbed Big Red Kill Rd to Dimmick Mountain Rd, right on CR 36/Denver-Vega Rd, left on Scudder Hill Rd, left on John Shultis Rd, left on Walker Rd, and right on CR 36 down to Route 30, and then left on CR 38 down to Arkville.

This was part of a 120-mile ride that started and ended in Sullivan County. Some other nice roads on my route were Mill Brook Rd from Arena to Dry Brook Rd, and Beech Hill Rd from Lew Beach to the Pepacton Reservoir.

If you want a very hilly route, I once rode from Stamford to Margaretville, 26 miles and nearly 4,000 feet of climbing, via Tower Mountain Rd, Narrow Notch Rd, Roxbury Mountain Rd, New Kingston Mountain Rd, and Margaretville Mountain Rd. I'd recommend low gears for that.
__________________
It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that certain je ne sais quoi.
--Peter Schickele
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-16-2020, 11:04 AM
BumbleBeeDave's Avatar
BumbleBeeDave BumbleBeeDave is offline
Post Mod-ern
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The end of the road . . .
Posts: 19,419
It's about an hour from you . . .

. . . but if it's not too far, there's great road riding in the Schoharie Valley south of Middleburgh, and also some wonderful gravel riding in Burnt-Rossman State Forest south of M-Burgh. either one is in striking distance for me from the Albany area.

PM me if you want more details or to set up a ride.

BBD
__________________
--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-16-2020, 12:24 PM
CNY rider CNY rider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hartwick NY
Posts: 4,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . but if it's not too far, there's great road riding in the Schoharie Valley south of Middleburgh, and also some wonderful gravel riding in Burnt-Rossman State Forest south of M-Burgh. either one is in striking distance for me from the Albany area.

PM me if you want more details or to set up a ride.

BBD
I’m not far away but I have never hit those areas.
Count me in too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-17-2020, 08:41 AM
trener1 trener1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 973
I looked up the park, looks like it is about 50 minutes from here.
I am not sure what or where the Schoharie Valley is.
Is that like Stamford and Hobart?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-22-2020, 03:48 PM
Ti_on_Steel Ti_on_Steel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 450
http://www.catskillscollective.cc

These guys run a training camp, guided ride, weekend getaway cycling program from near the Ashokan Reservoir. I've never been, but it looks great. They do guided day rides as well.

There is also the new Ashokan Trail, which looks like nice gravel.
https://ashokanrailtrail.com

Overlook Bikes in Woodstock also do group rides.
https://overlookbicycles.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-22-2020, 07:44 PM
BumbleBeeDave's Avatar
BumbleBeeDave BumbleBeeDave is offline
Post Mod-ern
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The end of the road . . .
Posts: 19,419
Go to google Maps . . .

. . . and look up the towns of Schoharie and Middleburgh, plus North Blenheim. They are all along the Schoharie Creek, which originates mainly at the Gilboa Reservoir. That's the Schoharie Valley, and Burnt-Rossman State Forest is in the hills on the west side of that valley.

BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I looked up the park, looks like it is about 50 minutes from here.
I am not sure what or where the Schoharie Valley is.
Is that like Stamford and Hobart?
__________________
--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.