Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 05:36 PM

strava - how secure is it?

curiosity: can non-strava users (i.e., the general public) access what an individual is doing on strava?

have a few buddies who have indoor trainer setups all tied together with strava and zwift, and i'm an admitted luddite when it comes to all of that. they told me to hop along and do the training sessions with 'em, so i'm starting to poke around to learn.

how does strava track if you're out in real life, i.e., on the road? do you have to have a gps-enabled bike computer like a garmin, etc.?

how does strava interact with zwift?

if you're out on the road and tied in to strava, could your whereabouts be tracked by less scrupulous folks?
Old 06-06-2020, 05:45 PM

Potentially, yes. You can change privacy settings on your profile, on activities, and on your start/stop location.

You can set up your strava account to be public (can be viewed by anyone) or private (can only be viewed by your strava friends).
Link: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...ivacy-Controls

Activity
You can set your strava settings so that your activities can be viewed by the anyone, friends-only, or only by you.
Link: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...ivacy-Controls

You can also set up a "privacy zone" so that your uploaded routes do not start and stop right from your doorstep.
Link: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...-Privacy-Zones
Old 06-06-2020, 05:50 PM

Depending on how you have your preferences set, your data can be visible.

For instance, I think I still have a free Strava account. I have never uploaded anything to it. I got it to scout popular cycling routes for cities I was visiting to find the best cycling-friendly roads. I didn't care about segments or KOMs or anything else, but that information was there. I just didn't dig that deep.

Keep your data locked down within the platform to those users you want to see it, and then your biggest dangers are platform hacks or Strava selling your data. Don't create segments that start at your house. That sort of stuff.

I understand in this COVID era people want to stay connected. Just be aware of the relative dangers of the platforms you're using. Nothing is free.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:52 PM

^^ thanks Alaska Mike. I think I joined Strava ages ago (when it first came out) so as to learn new routes in an area I had moved to, and bought a Garmin 800 from an ex-pro who used to be an anonymous member of this forum. Can't recall if I still have the account, but I'll have to check.

No joke, the 800 is still in the box, never used. Learned routes the old fashioned way...wrote 'em on an index card and then memorized 'em.

Anyone wanna trade a Garmin 800 for a 6 pack of beer?
Old 06-06-2020, 06:01 PM

The 800 has an option to automatically upload your rides to Strava
Old 06-06-2020, 07:06 PM
Randomhead

when I got my garmin 830, I worked on it for a while to get it to upload to strava automatically. It was horribly unreliable and most times I would end up hooking it to the computer. Now it uploads automatically and I don't understand how.

After the internet started accusing random guys on strava of crimes over the last couple of days, I have started wondering if it makes sense to have this stuff public.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:10 PM

Bingo.

Hence my inquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
After the internet started accusing random guys on strava of crimes over the last couple of days, I have started wondering if it makes sense to have this stuff public.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:18 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Strava is pretty private if you want it to be.

As stated,
1. You can have a privacy perimeter around any area you choose. Your home for example.
2. You can upload privately, so no one can see it unless you choose.
You can set it so any upload is automatically private, and you can edit the privacy later if you want others to see it.
3. You can have activities private, followers only, or everyone
4.You choose the type of activity (indoor ride, for example)
5. you can manually upload a workout, with no gps activity.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:47 PM

Strava has a very long and not very great history with user privacy.

Even today its kind of a mess.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:26 AM

The thing is if you make everything private there's not much point to it, is there...

SPP
Old 06-07-2020, 01:14 PM
DELETE ACCNT

It's giving you a lot of information about your workouts. Even for free, you're getting detailed workout journals to track your training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
The thing is if you make everything private there's not much point to it, is there...

SPP
Old 06-07-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
when I got my garmin 830, I worked on it for a while to get it to upload to strava automatically. It was horribly unreliable and most times I would end up hooking it to the computer. Now it uploads automatically and I don't understand how.

^^^ This

Many years ago I was a Sys Admin & realized the majority of folks may not be computer/techy minded about settings etc etc

Same for Strava & GPS tracking devices

Yes maybe Strava can be private if privacy options are set correctly but maybe many users might miss something in setup options on the Garmin etc etc

At the end of the day your either on or off the grid. If On then no guarantees of privacy.

What you can do is set up a Strava under some non-descriptive name & set to private & that is as good as it will get but...Many Strava users are real Type A personalities & want to be "known"
Old 06-07-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
It's giving you a lot of information about your workouts. Even for free, you're getting detailed workout journals to track your training.
Actually Golden Cheetah gives much more & is free
Old 06-07-2020, 01:46 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Strava has a very long and not very great history with user privacy.
Did they ever do anything after that NYT article that called them out? More settings maybe, but the default seems to be wide open to everybody
Old 06-07-2020, 01:48 PM

Funny sidenote: was on a ride a year or so ago with a buddy who's religious about training: strava, zwift, powermeters, nutrition, data analysis after rides, you name it. We were riding along and he asked me what kind of computer and analytics I was using, and as we were hammering along I shouted (while in the wind, pulling) "the brain!" He shouted back, "Huh? Who makes tha.....ahh, you a$$#ole!"