Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 09:28 AM

If I was the seller and you contacted me, I'd be seriously mad. The money has probably already been spent on another bike. Or coffee.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Does the frame have a sloping top tube, even a little?

Because that would affect the top tube length. The actual top tube would measure a little shorter than the effective horizontal.

The seller may have measured the ST center-to-top and the TT effective horizontal which would make his #'s make sense. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear this. I went through the same dilemma when I opened up a box 6 months after getting a frame and saw rust where there should have been none. I was truly bummed, but I just sucked it up and realized it was my responsibility to check the item as soon as I got it. Tough lesson.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:49 AM

I thought some credit cards will give you an extended period of time to return items. But maybe that's from brick and mortar stores only? (Anyway, worth checking on to get yourself made whole).

If you don't need the actual cash, you could try buffing it up a bit, adding some spare parts to make it ride-able, and then donating it to a local charity at a markup. The tax write-off isn't as good as actual cash, but at least you recoup something (and do a good deed along the way).
Old 09-21-2018, 09:58 AM

Time to take some photos and re-sell. No way any seller would take something back after not hearing from a buyer for nearly two months.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:15 AM

I would only agree that the seller made a mistake in the listing if you had confirmed how the measurements were taken before you entered a bid. There is no consensus within the industry as to exactly how to describe frame dimensions, especially with non-horizontal top tubes. Ebay adds the possibility of frames being described in either standard measurement or metric, and measurements being made by an infinite variety of tools. Failing to communicate about specific measures is a common mistake in the used bike market, and caveat emptor applies to all buyers.

Inspection after shipping really should take place within two weeks, ideally less, because funds don't get escrowed after sales unless you agree before hand to do so. The seller doesn't have your money anymore, and obviously doesn't want the frame, because s/he sold it you.

The difference between the size frame you actually bought and the size you hoped to buy is small enough that you can build it to fit you by using an appropriate setback seat post and/or stem setup. At 188cm tall, my several different bikes, all of which I ride, are setup to fit me in sizes between 56cm and 60cm.

As you stated, "the frame is perfect, condition wise and very beautiful." So you have received an item of the value you expected, and not been swindled out of your money or expectations of value.

For all these reasons, I believe you should keep and ride the bike, or sell it on to someone else, and not contact the seller or ding their feedback, or try to file a claim with eBay.

Last edited by 93KgBike; 09-21-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 AM
Tired Member

I'd just resell it. Don't get emotionally involved. List for 10% higher than what you paid. Be willing to take 10% less.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:53 AM

Just to update, I have not heard back from the seller currently and I may not hear back as the Ebay policy is 30 days after the latest estimated delivery date to file for a dispute and return thus the seller has no obligation to respond to my objection.

The frame was paid for through Paypal, Paypal has a different timeline as a buyer has 180 days from the transaction date to initiate a dispute. Therefore I could work through Paypal to achieve a resolution for the situation.

My current thoughts are to keep the frame, assemble it, ride it and determine how I fit on it, its qualities and how it feels. If I am unhappy, sell it and move on, lesson learned. I certainly will not be dinging the sellers feedback.

For anyone interested this is the posting and frame, I am not a big black bike fan however the workmanship is immaculate as is the metallic paint by Spectrum on this frame. It is beautiful, thanks much for your suggestions and responses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Strong-Fram....m43663.l10137

Last edited by m_sasso; 09-21-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
For all these reasons, I believe you should keep and ride the bike, or sell it on to someone else, and not contact the seller or ding their feedback, or try to file a claim with eBay.
I second all of this. To try to voluntarily return it now or, worse, to open up a claim with eBay/PayPal would be profoundly unfair to the seller.

Edit: I didn't see the buyer had posted and there was a build sheet with the exact dimensions. I'm not sure a seller can do any better than "here are the exact dimensions of the bike, as provided by the builder." It sounds like any error is 100% with the buyer on this one.

Last edited by prototoast; 09-21-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
My current thoughts are to keep the frame, assemble it, ride it and determine how I fit on it and how it rides. If I am unhappy, sell it and move on, lesson learned. I certainly will not be dinging the sellers feedback.
Sounds like the right move. Looks like a great frame! I'd also say that, given that there's a build sheet posted in the listing with measurements, (showing 52 ETT and 53 ST measured C-T), your position in a dispute (if i understand correctly, citing different C-C measurements) would be fairly tenuous.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev0 View Post
Sounds like the right move. Looks like a great frame! I'd also say that, given that there's a build sheet posted in the listing with measurements, (showing 52 ETT and 53 ST measured C-T), your position in a dispute (if i understand correctly, citing different C-C measurements) would be fairly tenuous.
Two things: 1. Your measurements (C-C) seems to be exactly what the build sheet shows (C-T & ETT), so I'm not sure there's any error on the part of the seller. 2. You can definitely resell and come out even or ahead. That looks like a fantastic rig, and you should't have any trouble getting $500 here or elsewhere.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:39 PM

Do the measurements match the build sheet listed in the auction? I think you only have a right to be upset if those don't match.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:41 PM

Just like I suspected, ST is C-T and TT is effective. The bike matches the listing. I think you got what you ordered.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:42 PM

The build sheet was posted. Is the bike not the bike in the buildsheet?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:05 PM

This is a bicycle discussion forum, not a who is to blame site!

The original posting was not available at the time I initiated the discussion and I had not copied the build sheet in my hurry to get out of town and on tour.

Yes, it is pretty obvious now with the build sheet I have no basis to initiate a dispute, thanks again for your input.

Maybe a deceitful marketing for sale post!
Old 09-21-2018, 01:35 PM

If I had known it was a Carl Strong frame I would've just written, "keep and ride it you lucky so-and-so!"

Last edited by 93KgBike; 09-21-2018 at 04:34 PM.