Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 05:17 PM
ZhugeLiang

Visiting San Francisco - local area experts

As it turns out, I have to make a trip to San Francisco later this month to take care of some official businesss which will only take an hour at most but requires my presence, which kinda sucks, if you ask me.

Anyway, I am determined not to let this drag me down so I am gonna make lemonade out the lemons by turning it into a three-day weekend getaway for me and my lovely bride. The last time we were able to take a trip together and go somewhere.... for just the two of us, was like 20 years ago. Family, raising kids, work, interfered.

So, I would like to enlist the help of my pals here who live in or are familiar with that area to help us plan out our daily program and the list of things to do.

Some pertinent information:

We will be flying in on a Saturday, get to SF around 6:30 pm.
We will most likely be staying with friends, not exactly sure where they are located but we will have a car and don't mind driving a couple of hours to get to some place interesting and worthwhile.
We will be staying for three nights and leaving on Tuesday early afternoon.

What we like?
Chinese food
Beautiful scenery
Historical and cultural centers
1-2 hr relatively easy day hikes
Romantic night spots

Sorry for the skimpy details, that's all I can think of for now, but feel free to ask questions or provide any tips that will make our trip more enjoyable.

Thanks all!
Old 09-16-2018, 05:35 PM

One to two hour relatively easy day hikes: Marin Headlands

Shouldn't have to go too far for interesting and worthwhile. This time of year has the potential for the best Bay Area weather.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:35 PM
Vendor

Lots of options. Here’s a few:

- RG Lounge and Dragon Beaux for Chinese
- Lands End and Marin headlands (point Bonita lighthouse) for scenery and hike
- Asian art museum
- Quince, kokkari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2018, 05:38 PM

My son went to Frisco yesterday for his hockey game. I asked him if saw anything cool in the city? He said "saw a crime scene, there was a lot of blood" also "saw some bums shooting up"

Have fun with the sites!
Old 09-16-2018, 05:46 PM

there so many options -
headlands in Marin, Sweeney Ridge if you south of SF.
for a nice night out, go to Northbeach and Beach Blanket Babylon and walk around the neighborhood...or Hayes Valley at the theater district.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
My son went to Frisco yesterday for his hockey game. I asked him if saw anything cool in the city? He said "saw a crime scene, there was a lot of blood" also "saw some bums shooting up"

Have fun with the sites!
Last time I was there was 20 yers ago. We were going to go back. Nope. I am out, it has turned into a $h!twhole. Bummer.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:06 PM
ZhugeLiang

You pals crack me up...ok now focus on the task at hand like the rest of us....
Old 09-16-2018, 06:11 PM

I really like the following hike. It may be slightly longer than you are looking for.
Tennessee Valley -> coastal trail -> pirates cove -> muir beach (pause to enjoy beach) -> hike through green gulch (working farm/buddhist retreat center) to middle green gulch -> coyote ridge -> Miwok.

If this is too long consider just hiking for an out and back to Pirate Cove.

Here is a review of the trail in bike format
https://www.outdoorproject.com/adven...een-gulch-loop

For post hike food in Marin I very much enjoy the restaurant Fish in Sausalito
https://www.331fish.com
(pro tip: cash only at least the last time I was there)

If you enjoy Dim Sum I like to eat at Yank Sing which is quite good. I am not a Dim Sum expert and I know there are other great options
http://www.yanksing.com

For closer hiking to SF the section of Crissy Field to the Golden Gate Bridge and continuing on west past the bridge entrance is really nice.

Last edited by sfghbiker; 09-16-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
You pals crack me up...ok now focus on the task at hand like the rest of us....
Cross the Golden Gate and check out Marin, Napa/Saratoga, drive up PCH (Hwy 1) Mendocino/ Point Arena. Drive to Lake Tahoe (2.5 hour drive)
Old 09-16-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Last time I was there was 20 yers ago. We were going to go back. Nope. I am out, it has turned into a $h!twhole. Bummer.
We get you don't like West Coast Cities. IIRC, you think Orange County has become ungreat. For future reference, can you direct me to a place that Norman Rockwell would paint and a good man can feel safe in?
Old 09-16-2018, 06:47 PM

1) rent a car

2) Chinese food, I would check out Koi Palace (multiple locations, seem to get the best food in the San Jose/Milpitas one), Milbrae: Tai Wu, Hong Kong Flower Lounge, Zen Peninsula; Congee/BBQ: Cheung Hing. There may be a lot of places in Cupertino too.

3) Vietnamese food: San Jose/Milpitas. Plethora of places.

4) Bikes - My favorite place so far is the Black Mountain Cycles shop in Point Reyes. Also w/ Beautiful Scenery and at least Some Hikes.

Berkeley and Oakland are also nice to hang out in. Jitensha cycles, Tilden park, etc.

Plus all of suggestions above.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:48 PM

The Powehouse bar on Folsom St is very romantic. Highly recommend.

I’ll be happy to set up some hikes in Marin. Headlands are where it is at unless Karl shows up.

Last edited by joosttx; 09-16-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:25 PM

Went there last year with the lady friend, and can't recommend it enough.

Chinese food - Too many options to think of. Probably the best chinese food outside of the mainland.

A weekday at Dolores Park and the neighboring area is fantastic. For gourmands Bi Rite Market and Creamery are right there, as is Tartine bakery, Craftsman and Wolves, Dandeloin Chocolate, La Taqueria is very close, etc etc.

My favorite views of San Fran and the bay is in The Presidio, old army fort that was originally a Spanish stronghold. Lots of history there. Hidden gem there is the Commissary, which is like a year-round visiting chef showcase.

For hiking, Marin is awesome. If you can deal with the drive, Monterey and Big Sur are amazing. Tons of redwood parks in the area for lighter hiking.

Honestly too much to put in a single post. Best would be to choose a few spots based on suggestions, then just explore the surrounding area for a few hours.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:37 PM

Heart's Desire Beach

On the west side of Tomales Bay is a fine destination and you can hike it up and back from Inverness.Driving into the Headlands and going to Rodeo Beach could knock your sox off. Via Conzulman on a clear day is a site to see.

There are free guided walks in SF. Fun and ya learn a lot in a short amount of time.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
On the west side of Tomales Bay is a fine destination and you can hike it up and back from Inverness.Driving into the Headlands and going to Rodeo Beach could knock your sox off. Via Conzulman on a clear day is a site to see.

There are free guided walks in SF. Fun and ya learn a lot in a short amount of time.
our go to for guests is similar..... We head the Point Reyes Lighthouse. Stop at Iverness Park Market for sandwiches etc. Go to the lighthouse. Do the hike. Do the Chimney Rock hike. Then, find a place in the sand on South Beach. Open a bottle of wine or beer. Bring out the cheese plate. etc, etc. Drive back via Hwy 1. Shoot up BoFAX road to Ridgecrest road (In the winter we can watch the sunset on Ridgecrest and that is just stupid incredible) and then down to Mill Valley. And have dinner at Fish Restaurant in Sausalito. Shoot up Conzulman for the sunset in the summer time.