Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2024, 10:27 AM

Shout Out: Continental Tires

I recently had a problem with a set of gravel tires - Conti Terra Speed. The tire was wobbling around like the wheel had gone very out of true. Took it to the shop, they said nope, wheel is straight (its now going on 8 years and tens of thousands of miles with only a new freehub bearing) and there's a problem with tire casing.

I emailed conti through their website and they asked for a video, some photos and some basic info. These things wear fast and I've probably only got 30% of the tire's life left but they are sending me a new one, direct ship from QBP.

Great service and I'll keep using them.

There are a LOT of great new tires out there now but I'm finding that the casings are getting pretty fragile on the nice stuff.
Old 08-14-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I recently had a problem with a set of gravel tires - Conti Terra Speed. The tire was wobbling around like the wheel had gone very out of true. Took it to the shop, they said nope, wheel is straight (its now going on 8 years and tens of thousands of miles with only a new freehub bearing) and there's a problem with tire casing.

I emailed conti through their website and they asked for a video, some photos and some basic info. These things wear fast and I've probably only got 30% of the tire's life left but they are sending me a new one, direct ship from QBP.

Great service and I'll keep using them.

There are a LOT of great new tires out there now but I'm finding that the casings are getting pretty fragile on the nice stuff.
I have the same issue with a set of mine. Through which site did you contact them?
Old 08-14-2024, 11:08 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Opposite experience: And no more Conti tires be bought by me, including car. Michelins replaced the Van tires instead of Conti. Only way to say not acceptable I figure.

They took the old, 'sorry over a year old' out on some GP5K Tubeless. And I paid full price for those too. Maybe I deserve punishment for that alone. There are many other fishes in the tire sea Conti, yo.

I am petty like that.

Old 08-14-2024, 12:21 PM

Huh. I had that issue with a set of tires I bought as take offs on paceline. I figured it was an issue with my mounting them but maybe there's something messed up with the casing.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:33 PM

Ot

I wish they'd make the Competition tubulars in 28mm width.
A few years ago, I scored some from a European website that sells old stuff from pro teams and haven't been to find any since.

Last edited by 2000m2; 08-14-2024 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospastic View Post
I have the same issue with a set of mine. Through which site did you contact them?
I used this -> https://www.continental-tires.com/pr...cycle/contact/

They got back to me in a couple of days - it was long enough that I thought they werent going to respond but they came through. I wonder if this was a common problem with a run of tires (my date code was 29th week of 2023).