Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 03:34 PM

Close call this morning

Guy in truck passed two cyclists this morning. I had to slow down and moved to the side as well as the oncoming traffic so he can pass safely. Blind curve, no shoulder.....

Sorry for quality and noise from the front video. Some issues with the capture. Video looks fine in VLC, but noise and choppiness elsewhere.

From the back:

https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s...473556-210.mp4

To the front:

https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s...473678-210.mp4
Old 07-04-2020, 03:46 PM

Being in a hurry in an automobile is apparently more important than our safety. Glad you are not injured.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:58 PM
quadropheniac

I see that happen on a weekly basis....still not fun and glad you’re ok.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:19 PM

Seconds count.

Idiot.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:39 PM

With great liberty ( to drive ) comes great responsibility ( to other road users).

I think about this a lot in other areas of my life these days...
Old 07-04-2020, 04:52 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijichf View Post
I see that happen on a weekly basis....still not fun and glad you’re ok.
was a dick move for sure... but yea, this is an almost every single ride occurrence for me..

i dont even really take notice unless something gets thrown at me, they shout something hostile, or they gear-down and blow smoke at me.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:19 PM

Not to pile on but my experience seemed even closer today, possibly intentional, and was accompanied by a nice racial slur delivered from inside of the car. Other than that was a nice ride with some actual sunshine in Seattle.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:36 PM

Little bit less crowded on my last ride...

I may never come out of the woods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 6.35.29 PM.jpg (84.3 KB, 175 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-04-2020, 06:00 PM
aka RAEKWON

that guy is an A hole.

That said, at least looks like he was going slow. Last week I had a guy go at least 40 mph as close as he could to me, and he did it on purpose because as soon as he saw me he stepped on the gas. My varia went red and I even looked back as in, hey buddy I am here. People suck.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:34 PM

During the "good" Lance years, I was given way more respect on the road. It was very noticeable. Early "bad" years, not so much. Also noticeable.

Covid, with lower traffic volume and people in general just being more friendly and aware has been a bonus for riding. That's now pretty much back to normal... even though it's far from normal yet.

I've had so many close calls over the years. Driver intentionally trying to run me off the road. Witness and myself got a full license plate # and description. Went to local PD with witness... nothing. Truck with low bed trailer so close that turns of a giant auger carried on the trailer slapped my upper arm 3 times. Old guy just back from eye surgery hit me with his mirror. I wasn't hurt and he stopped. His excuse was he couldn't pass the double yellow lines or he'd be put in jail. Yelled at, stuff thrown. Full can of Coke land and burst on top of my head.

None of that sent me too the floor and no real injuries. I've been lucky thus far and shouldn't have to put up with it. That said, I know it's always a possibility. I'm as cautious and aware as I can be. A gamble, yes. At this point it's still worth it to me to keep on doing what I love.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:35 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have to say too, don't judge the car. I have had volvo station wagons brush as close as they can to me and usually big trucks give me tons of space. Assholes drive all kinds of cars.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:53 PM

Last edited by Clean39T; 07-06-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:54 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I have to say too, don't judge the car. I have had volvo station wagons brush as close as they can to me and usually big trucks give me tons of space. Assholes drive all kinds of cars.
hear hear.

i rarely drive anymore, but sometimes find myself driving a big, loud, stanky pickup truck... i suspect cyclists hear/see me and get uncomfortable .. till i pass super safely and then they see my bike racing sticker on the back and know...... i am a bro.

the vast majority of big stank pickups that pass me are super courteous. but i can tell you the vast majority of drivers that have ****ed with me for no reason have been in big stanky pickups... so while we cant judge, we can recognize the patterns.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:06 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
hear hear.

i rarely drive anymore, but sometimes find myself driving a big, loud, stanky pickup truck... i suspect cyclists hear/see me and get uncomfortable .. till i pass super safely and then they see my bike racing sticker on the back and know...... i am a bro.

the vast majority of big stank pickups that pass me are super courteous. but i can tell you the vast majority of drivers that have ****ed with me for no reason have been in big stanky pickups... so while we cant judge, we can recognize the patterns.
oh don't get me wrong, I have had my share of bad pick up truck drivers too
Old 07-04-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I watched a Honda CR-V w bike racks on top swerve at two cyclists wearing pink/pride jerseys last weekend and yell "Trump 2020" at them before gunning his engine and taking off. This was on a three lane one-way road in downtown/close-in Portland. My eyes weren't good enough to see the plate and there's no way I could have caught up to him with traffic and my gas tank still filling.... Stay safe out there folks. There are some who hate us because of what we represent to them, and we are vulnerable on our bikes with them in their cars/trucks. I want to ride solo bc of covid, but want to ride in groups bc of crazies like that. The conundrum of these times for cyclists everywhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
This sucks! As a cyclist I tried to be extra mindful to cyclist on the road. Specially after getting hit by a car a few years back.