Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 03:11 PM

Atlanta cop uses borrowed bike to chase down murder suspect

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/04/us/bi...rnd/index.html
Old 07-04-2020, 03:50 PM
The B!

interesting story.. cop is lucky the cyclist is apparently pro-cop, especially in the current climate.... i would have laughed and told him to eat a D and kept riding, myself.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:06 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Except him throwing the bike to the pave...
Old 07-04-2020, 04:07 PM

That's wild. I'd guess the friends & family of the murdered 37-year-old are grateful the cyclist was willing to lend his bike & help assist in the arrest of the murder suspect.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:58 PM

Very good buddy is a cop in the ATL PoPo...he's a reformed Pro/1/2 with a helluva kick in a sprint. A crack addict would operate at a severe disadvantage
Old 07-04-2020, 11:46 PM

Really?

Yeah, because every cop in America is a terrible human. Cool that you'd let a potential murderer go free though. What if your family member had been the victim? We'll see how everyone feels in the future after all of the defunding, cops quitting, retiring, etc. and there's no one to call for help. The "summer of love " worked out pretty well in Seattle afterall. Probably an unpopular opinion here on the forum but I don't give a ****. Flame away.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Yeah, because every cop in America is a terrible human. Cool that you'd let a potential murderer go free though. What if your family member had been the victim? We'll see how everyone feels in the future after all of the defunding, cops quitting, retiring, etc. and there's no one to call for help. The "summer of love " worked out pretty well in Seattle afterall. Probably an unpopular opinion here on the forum but I don't give a ****. Flame away.
Im sorry---do you see the contradiction in your own statement?

In one hand you ask how we would feel if it was our family member.

On the other you ask how will we feel in the future after all the defunding of the police.

the answer is exactly the same because the police clearly didnt stop the murder. Funded or defunded that man potentially killed someone.
Without getting off topic--the biggest reason there are cries to defund the police is because this iteration of our policing system is just not working for everyone. It works really well for some and not so well for others.
Just from a human empathy perspective, were seeing such a large contingent of our society who either doesnt trust, or are scared of the police. Thats not right.

Last edited by jtakeda; 07-05-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:48 AM

And there certainly won't be any rise in crime with fewer cops. And no they didn't prevent that particular murder. But they may have stopped the next one. Having a cop on every street in America 24/7 wouldn't prevent every murder. So what do you suggest we do? All strap pistols to our hips like the wild west? The murder rate in this country is already horrific. But reducing the chances of suspects getting caught certainly won't effect that in any way.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:24 AM

Quote:
And there certainly won't be any rise in crime with fewer cops. And no they didn't prevent that particular murder. But they may have stopped the next one. Having a cop on every street in America 24/7 wouldn't prevent every murder. So what do you suggest we do? All strap pistols to our hips like the wild west? The murder rate in this country is already horrific. But reducing the chances of suspects getting caught certainly won't effect that in any way.
At the very least do you think its a problem that a huge section of our population either doesnt trust or are scared of the police?

The de-funding the police thing TO ME is a lot less dramatic than it sounds.

To me it means--If theres a welfare check for a homeless person or someone on drugs we send a social worker or someone trained to deal with it.

For non-violent neighborly disputes send someone besides the police. etc

There are ways to get these types of problems solved without the police. Theyre just being asked to do all these things that arent really part of their job and when you use the tools and skills that the police are trained in for situation like the ones above it escalates the situation very quickly

Personally I think yes its about less police, but its also about giving the police less to do. Murderers, crime solving, investigation etc are police jobs.

Writing reports for stolen property, welfare checks, neighborly disputes, low level traffic offenses are things that we dont necessarily need police to do. I think if the police have a more narrow band of focus and prioritize on certain tasks we wont need as many of them.

The police budget effectively gets spread across a few different entities that have separate functions. The real question is will our government be capable of creating these entities? But thats like saying if I walk outside the house I might get hit by a truck so ill just stay inside where I know what will happen

Last edited by jtakeda; 07-05-2020 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Very good buddy is a cop in the ATL PoPo...he's a reformed Pro/1/2 with a helluva kick in a sprint. A crack addict would operate at a severe disadvantage
Any particular reason You chose ATL and free base cocaine as the stereotype?
Old 07-05-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
The nationwide murder rate in 2018 is 5:100,000. If you are a black man, the rate is 3.5:100,000 for being murderer by a cop. Does that help you to understand why people are protesting?
Old 07-05-2020, 06:07 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

We’re drifting in a direction that will only lead to a bad end.

Moving on ...

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Closed Thread