Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 09:09 AM

I like carbon my carbon bars. I am using them on all but my mid 90's steel bike with a quill stem. They seem to give me a bit less fatigue and having flat tops with a little flare on my gravel bike is a good thing IMO.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:22 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Easton EC-90 bars in 38cm width are very light and very strong. My first choice for many years. The shape of the hooks has been changed over the years.
Easton will be around 200g, Ritchey cf 240ish (and.the same weight as an alloy Syntace race light). A Schmolke cf goes down to 130g. 100+ g savings for one part is a statement for weight weenies
Old 07-05-2020, 09:45 AM

Well weight isn't an issue. At my weight grams are irrelevant- the truth is I picked up a cool retro Serotta that had some wonky things about it (threadless stem extender, SPD pedals, Campy drivetrain..ugh..) I had all intentions of stripping it to the frame fork and rebuilding it (Nitto quill, Soma bars, SPDL pedals, SHIMANO!) - buuut I started riding it and found it to be really sweet! It was one of those bikes that you finish a ride and think -dang that rides nice! Aaannd it turns out it has Easton carbon bars which I didn't even figure out until after the second or third ride...and I've never ridden carbon bars - so I'm trying to decide if the nice ride quality is just because it's a nice frame or actually a benefit from the bars?
Old 07-05-2020, 09:52 AM
50 bpm

Have only one set ... carbon riser bars on the Look.

Love the flat tops. Are they better than the Ritcheys they replaced? Feel-wise, yes.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:07 AM

Carbon bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoz View Post
Well weight isn't an issue. At my weight grams are irrelevant- the truth is I picked up a cool retro Serotta that had some wonky things about it (threadless stem extender, SPD pedals, Campy drivetrain..ugh..) I had all intentions of stripping it to the frame fork and rebuilding it (Nitto quill, Soma bars, SPDL pedals, SHIMANO!) - buuut I started riding it and found it to be really sweet! It was one of those bikes that you finish a ride and think -dang that rides nice! Aaannd it turns out it has Easton carbon bars which I didn't even figure out until after the second or third ride...and I've never ridden carbon bars - so I'm trying to decide if the nice ride quality is just because it's a nice frame or actually a benefit from the bars?

Nice ride quality because it’s a Serotta and not the bars.. As to wonkiness, brake levers that flop left and right is pretty wonky to me. ShimaNO
Old 07-05-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoz View Post
A combination I'm sure. The difference between riding AL and carbon bars has been pretty naunced IMO, testing on similar setups with shimano drivetrains. I used to be a Shimano-only rider, but after riding campy recently, I've really come to appreciate the setup.

I've got some vintage easton carbon bars I ride as well, and they do ride rather nice. My hands really appreciate the difference when riding on torn-up roads.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:15 AM

I guess? Carbon FSA K force=230g, Carbon Ritchey EvoCurve SL=220g, Al Ritchey WCS=240g. All of these sets are 10 years old, but high quality name-brand bars. Maybe there's some new stuff that's much lighter?

I bought 'em, used 'em, couldn't tell any difference other than the shape and the wallet dent. I guess YMMV, but tires, pressure, and bar tape make a bigger difference to ride quality on my bike than bar material does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Dunno what carbon bars you have but carbon bars are definitely lighter, not saying that matters but its a fact.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:02 AM

Changing from AL to C on my AL frame / carbon fork bike was noticeable in vibration reduction. Changing from AL to C on my carbon frame/fork bike was not. If you equate minor vibration as road feel you may find the bike a bit dead feeling.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Personally, I don't notice much difference in vibration etc., but I try to run fairly stiff bars (Easton EC90 Aero now - which are fairly rigid). Fun note on the Easton bars, at least - they don't have a recommended clamping torque - just says to use the stem manufacturers recommendation.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:09 PM

One minor difference at least ime is that carbon bars seem to transmit less cold or heat (if the bicycle has been sitting in the sun) than alu bars if one is riding glove-less.

I cannot say that my various c-f bars are definably more comfortable or more stiff than my alu bars, whether 26.0mm or 31.8mm, but I do like the c-f, mainly just "because".
Old 07-06-2020, 02:16 PM

I have the Easton EC90 on my main bike, and I'm pretty sure it's the main reason I find that bike so comfortable--i.e. the flat top, which is much friendlier to the hands than a round bar. I find it very hard now to ride a bike with round bars for more than 90 minutes or so.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:17 PM
I need you cool.

I've got carbon EC90 Equipes on my Legend and aluminum Deda 215s on my CSI....both work fine. Both have round tops....the Deda have an anatomic bend in the drops and the Eastons are round (non ergo?).

I would be hard pressed to attribute any "ride quality" differences to the bars. Both seem to work equally fine.....