Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
I would love a suburban but the mpg is terrible and they are more expensive than you think.
They are expensive have terrible gas mileage and are hard to park. I still want one!

The Tahoe/Yukon is the shorter version of basically the same vehicle. Still expensive with pretty bad fuel economy. Less hard to park. Huge vehicles for sitting up high.

True space efficient utility is found in minivans. The Suburban/Tahoe platform vehicles are decent in this regard but they add massive towing capability to the mix. Most people who have these heavy SUVs never use them for their intended purpose.

I really want a Toyota Land Cruiser but they're the best and the worst of the breed. Awful fuel economy and pretty bad space efficiency. Driven by lawyers, CFOs and orthodontists all over suburbia.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:50 AM

The size race in SUVs is amazing. My 96 XJ is downright dwarfed by most modern "Mid-sized" SUVs. Anybody have a Crosstrek? I might take need a new car if the job changes and I have to drive everyday.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Friend owned a first gen model of it (several years ago). Ultimately lemon lawed it.

Horrible, horrible vehicle.

New ones are very nice looking though.

Maybe they've improved the mechanical quality since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I haven't really looked at GM cars much lately seriously but the current GMC Acadia Denali has me thinking twice. It's very nicely styled and gets quite good reviews.

Based on prior experience with GM, I'm gun shy. They haven't been awful, but long term durability seemed to be a weak point with a Pontiac I once owned and a GMC Yukon my family owned ran like a top for a long time, but experienced terrible underbody rust, which finally led to its demise. The fact that the fuel tank looked new after 18 years and the rest of the equipment underneath proved to me that it CAN be done. Rust of that nature and severity needn't happen.

I wish I knew that GM had turned the corner WRT long term quality and durability.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Which minivan? I want Awd but the sienna Awd only fits 2 in second row. I really want an Awd minivan with a big wide bench 2nd row
Definitely a Sienna. AWD isn't be-all end-all to me though, plus I don't have kids, just the dogs. I've been very impressed by my wife's Prius in snow. Heavy+FWD does fine, would be excellent with snow tires but if we need snows, then we're riding instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Anybody have a Crosstrek? I might take need a new car if the job changes and I have to drive everyday.
See previous post about Subaru engines. Don't get one. They have/had a class action lawsuit about the oil consumption. I had a '12 Impreza 5mt and sold it.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:40 PM
なんでやねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I really want a Toyota Land Cruiser but they're the best and the worst of the breed. Awful fuel economy and pretty bad space efficiency. Driven by lawyers, CFOs and orthodontists all over suburbia.
BUT if you absolutely have to get there, no matter where there is, no matter whether the roads are good or bad or nonexistent: the Land Cruiser will come through for you.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Administrator

i think AWD in a minivan would be a largely fruitless endeavor. our odyssey, even with all season touring tires is excellent in the snow. with dedicated snow tires it would be pretty hard to beat. i dont see diverting some power to the rear wheels being too much benefit in a lower to the ground vehicle. before adding the expense and added mechanical components of AWD to a minivan - i'd think twice. IMO it is certainly NOT necessary.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry to revive this...
I am also looking for something similar to replace an 2006 Volvo V70.

I want to fit 3 kids across the 2nd row. I looked at a highlander a while ago and the middle seat was really small. Still the case?

I like the new Pilot because the MPG is better but it was redesigned in 2016 and I my budget calls for an older model.

My research comes to the Pathfinder, which is an SUV/thingy like a subaru but has a 3rd row. Anyone have one and like it? Can you put a bike in the back without folding down the 2nd row with wheels on?
If you want to go spendy

A bit less spendy, Buick has this beauty of a wagon

Old 09-12-2017, 01:00 PM

My new sled

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Anybody have a Crosstrek?
We bought a new Crosstrek in March to replace my wife's VW Beetle. She has the "Limited" trim level with leather seats and lots of electronic goodies.

My beloved 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T died two weeks ago (water pump seized, the timing chain broke and left the valves down to get slammed by the pistons). I looked for a suitable used replacement (either a V70 or XC 70) to no avail.

Decided to get a second Crosstrek (Premium trim with moonroof) because I think that they are fun to drive, they handle well and I didn't need or want a monster vehicle. I also like the engineering of Subarus (boxer engine with symmetrical awd) and I like the fact that they come fairly complete with accessories. Living in northern Ohio, awd has its place and we typically travel to NY and PA in the winter too.

The edgy look of the Crosstrek also appealed to me. And with the rear seats folded down, removing the front wheel on my bike makes for a clean fit.

Cheers.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
We bought a new Crosstrek in March to replace my wife's VW Beetle. She has the "Limited" trim level with leather seats and lots of electronic goodies.

My beloved 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T died two weeks ago (water pump seized, the timing chain broke and left the valves down to get slammed by the pistons). I looked for a suitable used replacement (either a V70 or XC 70) to no avail.

Decided to get a second Crosstrek (Premium trim with moonroof) because I think that they are fun to drive, they handle well and I didn't need or want a monster vehicle. I also like the engineering of Subarus (boxer engine with symmetrical awd) and I like the fact that they come fairly complete with accessories. Living in northern Ohio, awd has its place and we typically travel to NY and PA in the winter too.

The edgy look of the Crosstrek also appealed to me. And with the rear seats folded down, removing the front wheel on my bike makes for a clean fit.

Cheers.
how many miles on that broken chain?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
how many miles on that broken chain?
90 k. I changed the belt at 110k and was ready to take the car in for another. Would have replaced the water pump at the same time.

I really like the Crosstrek, however I do miss the seats of the Volvo, the most comfortable in any car IMHO.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:51 PM
DELETE ACCNT

That Buick is gorgeous
but we will only get the TourX version. Any reasonably equipped one will be in the $38K range
Maybe a good alternative to the Subaru Outback but a tough sell against well known brands

Wish they sold the Kia Optima Sportwagon here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
A bit less spendy, Buick has this beauty of a wagon

Old 09-12-2017, 02:52 PM

D3 diesel manual trans R-design V90 would be nice.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:22 PM

As the OP of this thread, I just wanted to report that I got a Subaru Outback. Very happy with my decision.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
D3 diesel manual trans R-design V90 would be nice.
I guess one could always purchase the car in Europe and have it shipped back stateside via one of those European delivery options that Volvo offers? Not that it'd matter for me as a V90 would be a bit too rich for me.

I would like to see them redesign the V60 and stretch that car out a bit.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I guess one could always purchase the car in Europe and have it shipped back stateside via one of those European delivery options that Volvo offers? Not that it'd matter for me as a V90 would be a bit too rich for me.

I would like to see them redesign the V60 and stretch that car out a bit.
As far as I know, euro-delivery programs only offer models already approved for sale in the USA.