Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2017, 07:22 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have been loving my hampsten strada bianca (with whisky fork)

really has become my #1 bike for the last month, its fantastic. I know you are on a budget but look around because I got this thing for a crazy good deal (way less than then the all city), great geo, built by IF so you know its some of the best, awesome steel and crazy amazing paint.

the whisky fork is fantastic and imo looks better on this bike then the wound up it came with. And bike fits 35s. who needs discs
Old 09-06-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
Could try to find a used Felt F-1 PR (forget the exact name but it was what they made for their sponsored pro team at the time and sold for a bit).

I think the Trek Domane and the Emonda (in certain iterations) are also able to handle bigger tires.
I have a Felt F1 PR right now and thought it was going to be my "forever" bike (which, truthfully, never works out that way--but at least for the next few years), but the fit isn't quite right. I fit okay, but not 100%. I'll certainly keep riding it and enjoying it while I consider others.

I've heard that some of the 2017 Treks take 30's. I'll have to check those out.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 09-06-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
most anything that fits you will feel plush-o.

My Curtlo feels like that with mid reach brakes and 28 Conit 4000 sii tires and so does my Carver with normal reach brakes. Easier fit on the Curtlo. A bit tighter on the Carver...and the Domane. Not sure about getting genuine 32mm tires between mid reach calipers.
I'm running 32mm GravelKings on 19mm-internal wide rims in combination with TRP mid-reach calipers and I have to force them past the brake pads. It doesn't make for the fastest wheel changes, but it works. I think 700x30 or 700x32 is the sweet spot for the atrocious roads around here.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

really has become my #1 bike for the last month, its fantastic. I know you are on a budget but look around because I got this thing for a crazy good deal (way less than then the all city), great geo, built by IF so you know its some of the best, awesome steel and crazy amazing paint.

the whisky fork is fantastic and imo looks better on this bike then the wound up it came with. And bike fits 35s. who needs discs
I haven't yet heard any suggestions that would make me run out and buy a new bike/frame, so I'll almost certainly keep riding the F1pr while keeping my eyes open. Luckily, there's a lot of tall paceliners; there's a decent chance one of them might look to move on what I'm looking for if they make the change to discs.

Unless someone out there wants to convince me that I should stop mucking around with rim brakes. I live and ride in dry conditions, though, like being able to wrench on rim brakes myself, and have nice wheels. Unless an Open UP drops in my lap, I'm likely to stick with rim brakes.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
I see this mentioned and suggested every so often, but does anyone have any direct experience with these?

!ALSO! Has anyone successfully done 35's on a Mr Pink?
Old 09-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

I just got a little chubby, is that normal? this bike is dead sexy man, im envious. One more for the list.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
I see this mentioned and suggested every so often, but does anyone have any direct experience with these?

Luwabra has fit GK 35/38 with BR-R600 brakes: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=205734

I've also fit GK 35/38 with the VO brakes.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
In this thread: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=196419, users "rileystylee" and "Vientomas" mention that they each have (had?) one.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:55 AM

A few more candidates beyond what's been mentioned so far, for anyone else who's looking:

Kona Esatto Ti was made for rim brakes for a year (or two?) before transitioning to discs.

Soma Pescadero, Tange Prestige steel for the main triangle.

Zancanato Road32 -- not sure if this is essentially custom, or if there are stock sizes. (It's also pricier than custom from Curtlo or Carver, but that's another issue.)

Independent Fabrications Club Racer used to be for rim brakes, I think; not sure about that.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:58 AM

I had originally thought to stay "modern" and to stay away from steel, just for the "lightweight" criteria. But does anyone want to suggest any vintage classics? I'm hearing rumors of some early 80's Puegeots with Vitus 980 tubing that might be candidates.

I've already got a 1992 lugged steel Trek that fits 35's (really similar to their 1980's bikes, down to a nutted rear brake arch), but the chainstays and wheelbase are a little long for it to fit what I'm explicitly looking for here. And it's a few pounds heavier than I'd like.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 09-07-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Zancanato Road32 -- not sure if this is essentially custom, or if there are stock sizes. (It's also pricier than custom from Curtlo or Carver, but that's another issue.)
Zanconatos are all full custom.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Member?

Quote:

Yes, I own one. Please feel free to PM if you want to discuss.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I had originally thought to stay "modern" and to stay away from steel, just for the "lightweight" criteria. But does anyone want to suggest any vintage classics? I'm hearing rumors of some early 80's Puegeots with Vitus 980 tubing that might be candidates.

I've already got a lugged steel Trek that fits 35's, but the chainstays and wheelbase are a little long for it to fit what I'm explicitly looking for here. And it's a few pounds heavier than I'd like.
I was just going to suggest an early 80s Trek converted to 700c. Not exactly lightweight, but they do make really nice gravel beaters. I've got a 2011 (first gen) Domane Classics that I've fit w/ 32mm cross tires, but the rear was awfully tight unless you have a really laterally stiff wheel-- 30 mm would be fine. It definitely has more clearance than the regular production Domane from the same era. That said, I'm not really a fan of cramming tires any more. For pure utility I'd personally go with a modern cross bike-- they're more like road geometry nowdays, plenty light, and you can probably get a rim brake frame cheap since everyone seems to be going disc. On the other hand, boutique steel with large tire clearance speaks to the heart!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:08 PM

mr pink

Quote:

funny you mention this.. i just mounted some brand new bon jons to a set of belgium+ this morning (tubeless).. park caliper reads right around 35.85mm at 55 psi.. I leave the air up for a while right after mounting.. i usually run these at 45r 40f
regardless.. plenty of clearance with the br-r600.

The gravel kings mentioned above^ measure 37.46mm on an 18mm internal rim as well.

I dont' have a ton of time on the mr pink but it feels damn good with the carbon fork.. i had the pink one, and ended up sizing down and bought bmeryman's frame. Its a practical bike that can handle a big tire and feels great at speed and getting to speed. I ride 95% gravel so keep that in mind as far as my review is concerned. may not translate to roadie life idk. One thing that sucks is airing the tires down to pull the wheel but thats the only negative ive experienced. good luck with your search
Old 09-07-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
does anyone want to suggest any vintage classics? I'm hearing rumors of some early 80's Puegeots with Vitus 980 tubing that might be candidates.
My ears perked up at this as I have exactly what you describe:

Good bike, does what I ask it to do nicely, but only has room (barely) for 700x30 alas.