Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2017, 03:37 PM

Candidates for a lightweight road frame that handles 32's, non-disc?

So I thought I had this figured out for my own purposes, but the Felt F1pr that I bought and built up just isn't quite right for my fit.

I'm reluctant to make the shift to disc brakes. I like the simplicity (and being able to do my own wrenching) of rim brakes. The Felt fits 700x32 or 33, and I'd like to keep that width; I assume that means using medium-reach brakes. If there's something astonishing that would handle 700x30, I'd consider it. If there's something out there that ticks the rest of the boxes but has cantis, I'd consider it, but I never had a great experience with an older LeMond Poprad with cantis or mini-v's (but I didn't try the Paul MiniMoto; perhaps those are worth going "backward"?)

I want "road" geometry, not "gravel/adventure" geometry. For me, in an XL or XXL size, that means ~73 degrees for the head tube angle, and chainstays that are relatively short. I also prefer a bottom bracket drop of 70mm or so (72, 75); not looking for the higher bottom brackets of 'cross bikes.

I'd like to get relatively light (The Poprad felt heavy, compared to my other bikes), so I'm thinking that modern Al, Ti, or carbon might be the way to go. I have a mild preference towards sloping top tubes. I prefer straight tubes, not the hunchback look.

//edit: Nothing too exotic, please. I have some budget to play with, but not semi-infinite. I'm guessing that rules out custom for now.

I know this has been discussed a lot, and I'm asking for some pretty specific requirements. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 09-05-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: budget limitation...
Old 09-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Member?

https://www.totalcycling.com/en/Gene...e/m-22668.aspx
Old 09-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Mid Reach

Yes- mid reach brakes.

Are you considering a custom, or looking for a stock bike with clearance?
Old 09-05-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
I've definitely pointed that one out to other people. I'm thinking it would be a little lighter to go for modern Al, Ti, or carbon, but it's one that's on my list. And certainly affordable.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Yes- mid reach brakes.

Are you considering a custom, or looking for a stock bike with clearance?
Added a budget limitation. I could maybe stretch for Curtlo in steel, or Carver in Ti, but for the moment I'm primarily asking for stock (or someone else's custom, second-hand. For that matter, second-hand is preferable all around.)
Old 09-05-2017, 04:12 PM

Hard to go wrong with an All-City Mr. Pink. Pretty well equipped with Columbus Zona tubing, a Whisky carbon fork, Rival 22, and Zipp Service Course cockpit.

I spent about 60 miles on the newest model when they came out in January. Great ride.

Prior iterations had a lugged steel fork:

Last edited by jtbadge; 09-05-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:51 PM

That motorola paint job is great. I would get one of those, built with lightweight parts it could be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Hard to go wrong with an All-City Mr. Pink. Pretty well equipped with Columbus Zona tubing, a Whisky carbon fork, Rival 22, and Zipp Service Course cockpit.

I spent about 60 miles on the newest model when they came out in January. Great ride.

Prior iterations had a lugged steel fork:

Old 09-05-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
That motorola paint job is great. I would get one of those, built with lightweight parts it could be great.
The stock 55cm I rode weighed about 20lbs. With Ultegra/Force and decent handbuilt wheels, could be 18 easy.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
The stock 55cm I rode weighed about 20lbs. With Ultegra/Force and decent handbuilt wheels, could be 18 easy.
it would be awesome with mechanical record or da 9000. Heck a used 7900 group and some fancy wheels would be awesome.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
it would be awesome with mechanical record or da 9000. Heck a used 7900 group and some fancy wheels would be awesome.
I have one. It rides well and was inexpensive to build up. I'd guess mine with rival 11s and nice wheels is around 19 lbs but it might be less. My bikes are all kind of heavy (>20lbs except my mr pink and maybe my cross bike) and it's the lightest for sure.

Last edited by sandyrs; 09-05-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:40 PM

A new Specialized Tarmac should check all the right boxes for you, including being spec'd for 30mm tires - which means it might take a 32 also. But it will safely take a 30.

The new Roubaix will take 32 with ease, although it does have a little longer chainstay length at 41.8mm. Not sure where your limit is on this.

The upper end models are expensive (north of $6k complete), but both will be suitably lightweight, even in the largest sizes. The Tarmac might break the 15lb barrier on the largest size.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 PM

Could try to find a used Felt F-1 PR (forget the exact name but it was what they made for their sponsored pro team at the time and sold for a bit).

I think the Trek Domane and the Emonda (in certain iterations) are also able to handle bigger tires.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:56 PM

Have ridden the new All-City and it is quite nice. If you are looking for truly nice, I think the Trek Domane is worth a look —*awesome, awesome ride and definitely light.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:49 PM

with 32mm tires at low pressure

most anything that fits you will feel plush-o.

My Curtlo feels like that with mid reach brakes and 28 Conit 4000 sii tires and so does my Carver with normal reach brakes. Easier fit on the Curtlo. A bit tighter on the Carver...and the Domane. Not sure about getting genuine 32mm tires between mid reach calipers.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:12 PM

The individual components have been dispersed among the community here, but my Mr. Pink was about 18 lbs built up with pedals. It was a fun bike.