Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2017, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I called them today and they are not making changes to the one piece bar/stem if you want a different stem length
You can't even change it after you order the stock config?

As far as my own experience with the bike, which is an Inflite 9.0 Ultegra hydro disc cross/gravel bike: pretty happy with it, but would concur with others regarding the excitement factor being low. One of the few exciting things for me was that the fact that I couldn't get them easily in the states . Good value though, and the US prices are actually significantly less than Euro prices at the moment with $1.18/euro.

Like many other brands, manufacturing is in China and from what I have read, they do a ton of QC at the mothership in Germany.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:39 PM

The market is cluttered with second and third tier bikes, Jamis and Fuji better watch out

What about wheel size on the mountain bike line-up? It isn't mentioned. Race geo bike looks like a 29er, but the rest look 27.5. They jabber more about the reflectors and the torque wrench in the box. The world doesn't need another 140mm 27.5 trail bike, unless you're like 5'3".

29er and 27.5plus trail bikes utilizing the same platform are where the market is going. Plus, I think the head angle is off on the Spectral

2-3 years and they'll be gone. Nothing special, even the price
Old 08-20-2017, 12:20 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxn View Post
[B]You can't even change it after you order the stock config?
I was asking about the eTAP hydro endurance road for my riding pal. the canyon rep said that is a straight 1.25" steerer and it will ship with 25mm spacers. I dont have a 1.25" bike, so no idea what stem brands are available for that size. if you change the stem/bar combo of course you are now eating the cost of that one piece unit. custom changes won't come untilnext year...right now it is all stock stock stock.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I was asking about the eTAP hydro endurance road for my riding pal. the canyon rep said that is a straight 1.25" steerer and it will ship with 25mm spacers. I dont have a 1.25" bike, so no idea what stem brands are available for that size. if you change the stem/bar combo of course you are now eating the cost of that one piece unit. custom changes won't come untilnext year...right now it is all stock stock stock.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that if you change stem, like I did, you still have to pay for a new one but they heavily discount the new one. I think mine was 35 euros or something. I assumed they would do something similar for the integrated bar/stem but I guess not.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:40 PM

Good article!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/germa...130422579.html
Old 08-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munger View Post
They article completely forgot about BikesDirect. They are internet based as well.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:54 PM

Just have to point out, bikesdirect doesn't really count. I would put them just below Dick's sporting goods and just above WalMart as far as quality etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
They article completely forgot about BikesDirect. They are internet based as well.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM

I wrote to Canyon two days ago about whether I could select the stem length, handlebar width and crank length.

Today I got a response"

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, at this present time we are not able to do any type of customization. The bikes are sold with the specifications that you see online."
Old 08-23-2017, 06:43 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I wrote to Canyon two days ago about whether I could select the stem length, handlebar width and crank length.

Today I got a response"

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, at this present time we are not able to do any type of customization. The bikes are sold with the specifications that you see online."
time to look at the focus paralane instead
Old 08-25-2017, 08:38 AM

I think the Endurace 7 looks like a pretty good deal compared to the competition. I do all of my own work, so am not concerned about the lack of retail presence. Checks a lot of boxes for me personally.

Enough so that after doing a lot of comparison shopping, I pulled the trigger on one last night. We shall see.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post

Today I got a response"

Guess they are counting on the middle.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
I think the Endurace 7 looks like a pretty good deal compared to the competition. I do all of my own work, so am not concerned about the lack of retail presence. Checks a lot of boxes for me personally.

Enough so that after doing a lot of comparison shopping, I pulled the trigger on one last night. We shall see.
Congrats! I can't wait to see real photos and a ride report.

By all reports the packaging Canyon uses is excellent. Should be a joy to unbox and assemble.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:31 PM

So, I'm pretty impressed...

I ordered on the evening of the 24th and it arrived the afternoon of the 31st. Packaging is truly first rate. Took me about an hour to assemble the bike and set it up according to my fit specs. No complaints whatsoever- everything was well organized, instructions were clear (keeping in mind that I build a couple dozen bikes a year) and the parts and pieces are well finished and installed. Derailleur and brake settings were spot on and required no adjustments.

So, two days and two rides.

One: Got it together in time to ride it in our Thursday Night Grand Prix, a ride for which this bike was made: fast, fast, fast with no rest at all. Picked up two tenths on my average MPH, which is good, but not so dramatic that I'd attribute it all to the Canyon. Carved the corners nicely, even with the Continental 28's (soon to be replaced by Vittoria Corsa Graphene 25's), freehub is on the loud side. Got to get used to the shift points on the 52/36 crankset, not a combination I'm used to.

Two: What my daughter calls 'Dad's Training Ride', but what the locals refer to as 'The O Loop'. 32 miles from Burke down Rt. 123 to Occoquan Regional Park, with a steep descent into the park itself and of course the same way out, which is a pretty decent interval hill. Rode this with my buddy Gary, who's 40 pounds lighter and rides a Project One. One of those people you love to hate sometimes as they disappear in the distance. In other words, not a easy ride. Now getting used to the shift points, we were pretty quick...in fact, faster than I've ridden that route in some time, and I do it several times a week. Really like the modulation from the disc brakes.

So, two rides, two days, two data points, both good. You'll probably note in the picture that I'm slammed the stem in order to get my regular fit. It feels right, but I should probably do a professional fit session to tidy things up.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:20 PM

I'm quite interested in the Endurace 7 (although I'm still leery of disc brakes, but that's another story...)

But!

Is there anywhere that you can test ride these? As someone for an XL size, reviews of smaller sizes do not always translate to larger sizes... Do they have any kind of a demo program? Or do you just order it and send it back if it doesn't work for you? I'm not talking about a problem or defect; what if it just doesn't resonate with you?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:38 PM

Test Ride!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I'm quite interested in the Endurace 7 (although I'm still leery of disc brakes, but that's another story...)

But!

Is there anywhere that you can test ride these? As someone for an XL size, reviews of smaller sizes do not always translate to larger sizes... Do they have any kind of a demo program? Or do you just order it and send it back if it doesn't work for you? I'm not talking about a problem or defect; what if it just doesn't resonate with you?