Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:03 PM

I'm really excited to pay $99 a year for Amazon Prime so I can get a part tomorrow when I could have driven over to Performance Bike for $1.00 in gas and gotten the part today.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
I don't get it. Seems like a good site, from 10 years ago.. Does Prime give you more details and better images of items? Despite being a frequent online shopper, I've never made a purchase from Amazon. What am I missing?
Speed. All amazon cares about is speed. Churn in the warehouse is measured in hours rather than days or months. Delivery is some markets is now measured to within the hour from order for some items.

And the website is part of that, I imagine. Why retrain customers on finding stuff when the current site is what they're used to?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the insight. Guess I've expected too much when I've gone there looking for something. And, I ponder and research before buying, so delivery time is not that crucial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Speed. All amazon cares about is speed. Churn in the warehouse is measured in hours rather than days or months. Delivery is some markets is now measured to within the hour from order for some items.

And the website is part of that, I imagine. Why retrain customers on finding stuff when the current site is what they're used to?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 PM

seems the bike parts buying options

are in radical flux. Darwin.

I do love it when something comes faster from Chainreaction.com across the ocean than it does from Nashbar (wherever it is).
Old 08-28-2017, 08:50 PM

That would be a bit strange for Amazon to put either Performance or Nashbar out of business since some of the cycling stuff they sell the lowest price is through Performance or Nashbar. I've ordered a lot of stuff through both of those and never had any issues with either the stuff I got or if it was a wrong size I sent it back and they promptly sent me the right size, no fuss no mess.

By the way I'm not a Amazon Prime member and still get stuff within a week of ordering, I can wait, it's cheaper to wait than to pay $99, and if I need something real fast I'll either find it locally or have it next day aired to me which I've never had to do.

Not sure where some of you live but here in Fort Wayne the prices on cycling stuff is stupid high, like a tire for $75 when I can get the same tire on the internet for $65 and free shipping, and that price isn't even the sale price! I always wait for sales and when they hit I'll pick up that $75 tire for less than $35; and when the LBS has their big sale, they'll mark that $75 dollar tire down to $68. I buy most of my stuff off the internet because I can save at least 30% of the cost of buying it locally, and 99% of the crap I buy off of Amazon is sent for free via ground but I don't care because like I said earlier I'll get within a week.

Performance going into receivership? where did you get that load of nonsense? why not read something a bit more accurate, read this: http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...rmance-bicycle Performance/Nashbar is not going into receivership, they are selling the company at a huge profit.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:18 PM

I don't see any particular downside...Amazon

is now big brother in the produce department too:

https://qz.com/1063718/amazon-is-cha...ilicon-valley/
Old 08-28-2017, 10:12 PM

that is more than a shot across the bow. they flew a squadron of a-10's and unloaded on the grocery industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
is now big brother in the produce department too:

https://qz.com/1063718/amazon-is-cha...ilicon-valley/
Old 08-29-2017, 08:20 AM

I use Amazon for most of my general bike purchases and just about everything else. I have had some PITA returns though. The result if flying through the purchase and not reading the fine print I suspect.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:59 AM

I would suggest Competitive Cyclist - or Backcountry (sometimes one has a better deal or free 2nd day shipping) they have really good prices, in stock is accurate and will price match. They have the returns down to be pretty painless -just as long as you have an account, you can click on return, print a 7$ label and when they scan it incoming it credits your account. I actually have a personal shopper that I contact to ask for above and beyond deals or to save something for me when it comes in etc. The problem with amazon is they are using a pool of 3rd party (?) LBS's (in many cases) to send you the part. Those transactions take very long and I usually have the part by the time I get the notice it has shipped. Sure you can prime some parts, but not all, and usually the prime prices are higher, sometimes significantly higher than the pool LBS'S.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM

At the risk of being a Vulgarian, I'm a fan of Performance bikes...have been for a lot of years. The local Performance shop has great, convenient hours...their service is actually pretty solid, so if I need something done on a Monday, they're the go to. They sell some pretty good entry level and casual bikes at solid pricing, especially on their sales. They have good deals, and better selection than average, on things like clothes and shoes.

I wish the online shop was organized a bit better, but no real complaints.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I would suggest Competitive Cyclist - or Backcountry (sometimes one has a better deal or free 2nd day shipping) they have really good prices, in stock is accurate and will price match. They have the returns down to be pretty painless -just as long as you have an account, you can click on return, print a 7$ label and when they scan it incoming it credits your account. I actually have a personal shopper that I contact to ask for above and beyond deals or to save something for me when it comes in etc. The problem with amazon is they are using a pool of 3rd party (?) LBS's (in many cases) to send you the part. Those transactions take very long and I usually have the part by the time I get the notice it has shipped. Sure you can prime some parts, but not all, and usually the prime prices are higher, sometimes significantly higher than the pool LBS'S.
Thanks. I purchased from Competitive Cyclist before and had a good experience. Good to know on the returns.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I've noticed this problem with the 3rd party LBS setup. I ordered a seatpost with Prime shipping terms on Friday, was told it would arrive on Sunday.

Now it's Tuesday and I still don't have a tracking number. The seller tried to pass the buck to Amazon and refused any responsibility.

Should have just waited for one to come up on the forum.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 AM

I like Amazon just fine...but do they need to own every category? I'll still shop at LBS for things they do better (things I need to try on...or need now). Hopefully SOME LBS survive.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:17 AM
needs adult supervision

Two things mentioned are true: Third party stuff bought on Amazon can definitely be problematic. Any bike bits I buy from Amazon I only buy from them, no more third parties. And yes, CC/Back Country is stellar. I'm a long time CC fan. Thing is, sometimes Amazon has bits CC doesn't. And yes, sometimes CC has a better price. The competition is making both sides better, I think.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:25 AM
Registered (ab)User

Has Amazon figured out how to not charge sales tax for out-of-state orders yet?
Closed Thread