Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2022, 12:34 PM

Vancouver cyclist being charged to repair the driver’s car that hit him

Insurance BS.

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/advocacy/...-that-hit-him/
Old 03-30-2022, 12:46 PM

Oh man! If there was ever one that needed to be fought, based on what the writeup says, this is it. I would find myself the nastiest attorney I could and go after this insurance company and the idiot driver or the parents for as much as possible. This is a seriously predatory action by the driver's insurance carrier.

I would think the driver's insurance would be on the hook for the cyclists medical expenses. If the rider is where he is supposed to be in the bike lane, driver encroaches and hits him, it's got to be all on the driver. How could anyone possibly come up with something else?

Shyster corporate policy at it's worst, my friends.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:49 PM

I don't know the facts of the case beyond the written story, but it sounds to me like the insurance company knows that it cost the cyclist more to hire legal help to fight the case, then to just pay up (even if the insurance company's case has no merit). That, my friends, is how our legal system works.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:59 PM
I need you cool.

Sounds like the insurance company may have just opened up a can of worms....

Hire an attorney, civil suit against the driver for $10MM for pain, suffering, loss of quality of life, PTSD, and whatever else can be tacked on...hopefully there are some witnesses...

No indication of how the police handled this (was driver cited?) Probably not since not there to witness the incident.....
Old 03-30-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I don't know the facts of the case beyond the written story, but it sounds to me like the insurance company knows that it cost the cyclist more to hire legal help to fight the case, then to just pay up (even if the insurance company's case has no merit). That, my friends, is how our legal system works.
Seems from the comments that this CANADIAN insurance company has gamed the rules/laws where they can screw over legitimate claims to lessen the cost for policy holders in order to gain more revenue from underwriting policies for more reckless drivers.

Seems like a case where this dude will eventually get the bill thrown out after much public outcry but still sucks, and who know what it’ll cost long term with regards to personal and/or financial stresses and black marks.
Old 03-30-2022, 01:07 PM

Also note that BC has a weird system as the corporation that provides car insurance is a crown corp (owned by the provincial gov't).

This will be interesting to watch how it plays out.

I also expect the BC system is similar to Ontario, in that it limits the injured person's compensation to set limits for each type and level of injury.
Old 03-30-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Also note that BC has a weird system as the corporation that provides car insurance is a crown corp (owned by the provincial gov't).

I also expect the BC system is similar to Ontario, in that it limits the injured person's compensation to set limits for each type and level of injury.
I think this is the most shocking part of this story for me. How is a crown corp, one I assumed to not be a parasite like the rest of the insurance industry, pursuing an insane lawsuit like this one? I do wonder what the public backlash will be or if there will even be one since North American car culture still reigns supreme
Old 03-30-2022, 01:33 PM

For those who don't know, ICBC is, IIRC, a government owned insurance company for everyone in British Columbia. One company for the entire province, total monopoly. I have a buddy in BC and he says there are pluses and minuses.

But to sent him a bill for $3700 for driving an uninsured vehicle is bull s h i t. There's no way this is the first time a cyclist and a motor vehicle have collided causing damage to the vehicle in the history of the ICBC. The precedent has been set, clearly, and this will be a no brainer for the cyclist's lawyer to fight in court, and counter sue for damages and legal costs.

It's just blood boiling that this could happen in the first place. Hopefully this makes more mainstream media and public opinion forces ICBC to retract their stupid demands.
Old 03-30-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post

Yeah in Ontario the personal damage has to exceed $45,000 before they'll consider paying someone pain and suffering. thank you... no-fault insurance.
Old 03-30-2022, 01:43 PM
cnighbor2

Insurance claims and my case

Yes I as involved in a car bike accident
After a lot of back and forth we agree to their paying me a few thousand plus damage to the bike
But I had agree to 60% their fault 40% mine
After I was paid I soon got a bill for damage to their cars hood has when I hit their car that turned left into me I had rolled on the hood damaging it
I called my AAA agent and last I heard about that cost
But i can see were it could happen easy where the person not at fault sill pays
Charles
Old 03-30-2022, 02:56 PM
Randomhead

This was a mistake on the insurance company's part. It's a bit of a clickbait title though, no way I would pay that and I definitely would have hired a lawyer already given the damages the cyclist suffered.
Old 03-30-2022, 03:36 PM
Riding Along

I am going to suggest that there is not enough info about why the bill was sent. I suspect that it was a clerical error at the insurance company. Some cube farm drone probably clicked the uninsured box on some screen form by mistake and forgot to click on the pedestrian/cyclist box. This would have generated an automatic bill. I bet a call to the insurance corp will clear this up. Deep breaths everyone. The article is a bit vague and does not mention any contact between the victim and the corp.
Old 03-30-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Deep breaths everyone.
The story seems too outrageous to be true. I would just leave this one alone for the insurer and this guy to resolve. As someone said, I think someone ticked the wrong box.

Not related, but many years ago, my BFF was driving home from work over the Burrard St Bridge in Vancouver and a cyclist smacked the side of her car on the offramp. He crashed and wasnt hurt, but put a solid dent in her passenger side door. She jumped out, concerned for his well-being and made sure he was OK. She offered to drive him home (he toasted his front wheel, as I recall) and then when she dropped him off, she asked if he would contact her later to ensure that he was OK. She handed him her business card from her law firm .

As soon as he saw it, he turned his story around and claimed that she was in the wrong. That was unfortunately a bit late, since they had several witnesses saying it was his fault and that he openly admitted he did something stupid on his bike. She cautioned him to be calm and keep his story straight then ( and as a kind person that she is), she did not go after him for damages to her car, which were clearly his fault.

The person mentioned in this thread clearly has had something different happen to him and I hope he collects for the injury and suffering.
Old 03-30-2022, 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=d_douglas;3073004 As someone said, I think someone ticked the wrong box. [/QUOTE]

For sure it's this. But what a PITA for the cyclist.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:58 PM

Yeah, let's not jump to conclusions.

The cyclist received a bill. The determination that he's actually liable to pay it has yet to be settled.

If he's smart, he'll see a lawyer or as a minimum, check is AUTO insurance policy.

I don't know the laws in B.C. but he may be covered under his own auto insurance as is the case in some states in the U.S. .

I hope we get to hear how this plays out.