Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2020, 08:27 AM
but not really

OT: BMW 328 circa 2015 or 2016

Interested in feedback on owning a 328 x drive beyond the warranty period. I'm eyeing a 2016 with 44k miles and about 16 months of warranty as a certified pre-owned. What have people experienced as far as maintenance costs as you approach 100k miles and beyond?

The other option is a new VW alltrack lease. Not as sexy, but less concern about unknown costs.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:38 AM
Administrator

what engine is in there?
Old 01-28-2020, 08:46 AM

The four cylinder BMW has more problems than just about any other German car engine. At least related to the timing chain and when that pops up you're looking at another engine. Not that it's high probability but it has happened to at least one other member here. If you get a BMW you should buy one with a straight six anyway . And since I don't have company statistics I don't know how common the problem is, happens enough that enthusiasts all know about it but rare enough that BMW keeps revising the engine to eliminate the problem. 2015 is I believe the transition period where the problem was being reduced and 2016 even more unlikely.

Unless you have a real reason for AWD the rear wheel drive cars are preferred from a mechanics and a handling performance POV. If I want AWD I'd get an Audi. That said their 2.0 4 cylinder had some oil burning issues but they covered it under warranty and seem to have been good since about 2013.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:50 AM
Administrator

ah, a turbo 4 AWD BMW.

haha, basically nothing that makes a BMW iconic and good.

i'm a huge bimmer fan, but real BMWs have I6 NA engines and RWD.

i'd pass!
Old 01-28-2020, 08:51 AM

Well, I actually own a 2015 328xi and have had zero issues with it. Mileage, HP and torque is better in the 4 vs the old 6 cyl. Bought mine CPO with low miles, only have 40k on it now, but all good so far. Nicest car I've owned.

I think if you've been a fanboy for decades, the cars are not what they used to be. Since I don't have that history, I can't get to complain they're not what real BMW's should be, etc.

Last edited by tv_vt; 01-28-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:54 AM

And to address the maintenance question you should plan to be a stickler about on time doing the extras when an opportunity comes up. If you diy they are one of the cheaper brands/cycle because there are many competitors online offering great prices on consumables and the same can be said for unplanned maintenance like a water pump or wheel bearing. If you use a dealer $$$$ and if you use a good independent cost can be similar to any other brand but probably a little more.

Some of the German car tax is increased maintenance frequency and the rest is higher prices for labor on service. You could probably buy an accord at 44k and do nothing but oil changes until 100k. A BMW is going to need at least a full brake job and probably a front brake service in that time on top of fluids.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
ah, a turbo 4 AWD BMW.

i'd pass!

Old 01-28-2020, 08:59 AM

My experience with german vehicles is I wouldn't own one, let alone one without a warranty.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:08 AM
but not really

Gscot - I'm replacing a low mileage 2007 Avant that's been a maintenance nightmare (bought used). Fun to drive, but cringe worthy every time check engine light comes on. Part of why I'm gun shy on the BMW knowing I could be back in the same spot 3 years, 40k miles from now. I think I'm trying to talk myself into the 328 as opposed to out of it right now. I know it'll be fun to drive, but not ready to accept the same high cost of ownership I've had with this B7 Avant.

AWD or FWD with quality snow tires required as I drive in snow often.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
ah, a turbo 4 AWD BMW.

i'd pass!
All that and a manual transmission.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:17 AM

I am at 35K on my 2015 (purchased CPO @ 15K). So far it has needed new front brakes/rotors, valve cover gasket and frt window regulators (all covered under warranty...would have amounted to over $3K out of pocket), otherwise all is good. I plan on socking away at least $1000 annually for maintenance along the way. Yes 4 cylinder turbo not as silky as I6, but just as powerful and very torque-y, also mpg is amazing....37-38 mpg on highway (avg 75mph). Yes, there is a known timing chain issue but BMW has extended warranty to 7yr/70K and ending class action (decision due in few weeks) will likely further extend coverage. Also, if you find SULEV vehicle (N26 engine) and live/register in specific states, warranty on many big ticket parts is extended to 15yr/150K.

See more info here:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614899

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1225865

Use the CP) search tool to find best deals in your region:
http://cpo.bmwusa.com
Old 01-28-2020, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyaugustus View Post
All that and a manual transmission.
correct-a-mundo!

M-sport suspension is good too!
Old 01-28-2020, 09:19 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
ah, a turbo 4 AWD BMW.

i'd pass!
I've got one of the 2.... My X3 is AWD, but it does have the NA I6

Personal opinion: the last driver's BMW was the E46 (to 2006) series. As an added bonus, they're very inexpensive to buy these days. May not be as inexpensive to repair as say a Ford Focus, but they drive much much nicer.

M
Old 01-28-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Gscot - I'm replacing a low mileage 2007 Avant that's been a maintenance nightmare (bought used). Fun to drive, but cringe worthy every time check engine light comes on. Part of why I'm gun shy on the BMW knowing I could be back in the same spot 3 years, 40k miles from now. I think I'm trying to talk myself into the 328 as opposed to out of it right now. I know it'll be fun to drive, but not ready to accept the same high cost of ownership I've had with this B7 Avant.

AWD or FWD with quality snow tires required as I drive in snow often.
Let's see if I can guess on that Avant. If it is an A4 2.0 you oil leaks, oil consumption, timing issues, and water pump/thermostat problems to deal with. If it was an S4 you oil leaks, wheel bearings, water pump, and maybe even a noisy timing chain. But if it is an A6 with 3.2 I suppose you'd have the above problems plus carbon build up in the intake ports.

I have an S5 with the 4.2 and while I'd say it has been reliable and good to us I have seen a lot of its insides. Compressor for the A/C required dropping the front subframe while supporting the engine from above. In reality not really a big deal and I did it in a couple days part time in the garage but I could see a shop charging 2500 bucks just to start that job.

Good luck on your adventure.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:08 AM

Owner of a 2015 328d with 87k. Commute 600 miles/week. Other than the EGR Cooler failing (fortunately covered under a recall), I have not had any issues.

This is my first BMW, bought CPO two years ago and am still trying to adjust to the maintenance antics at the dealerships. A $35 cabin air filter and 15 minutes of my time is $150 to be done at the dealer.

OP mentions driving in the snow. I have driven many AWD/4WD/FWD vehicles with all-season/snow/studded tires and will comment this BMW with snow tires is the best handling/performing vehicle I've driven in the snow. I have a 15% driveway that I have no issue climbing with this vehicle with 8"+ of snow on the ground. That alone justifies ownership for me.