Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2024, 04:25 PM

The jury selection process is in love with me

3rd time being selected in less than 12 months; 11th time in 7 years.

WTH do I need to do to get out of this continuous cycle? Probably nothing short of committing a serious crime, and I'm not going down that road, so I'm probably screwed.

Lived in this town/county for 18 years. I work with people in their 50's/60's who've lived this county their entire lives, no run-ins with the law, and would like to serve and experience the process (I know that last one doesn't factor into selection, obviously) and never been called. Would be nice if there was a process available to have someone serve in your place, if you didn't want to/couldn't serve and could find someone to stand in. I could easily find several.

Also, the wife's been summoned twice this calendar year.

Random selection? My a$$.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 09-14-2024 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2024, 04:26 PM
Administrator

I have always said they should take the jury duty list directly off the unemployment list. The gov is already paying people who are unemployed, may as well make them do something...
Old 09-14-2024, 04:27 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post

WTH do I need to do to get out of this continuous cycle? .
throw away some garbage at the city dump on thanksgiving day
Old 09-14-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I have always said they should take the jury duty list directly off the unemployment list. The gov is already paying people who are unemployed, may as well make them do something...
Excellent suggestion.
Old 09-14-2024, 04:33 PM

My experience has been is that once summoned and you show up, you’re off the list for I think 3 years, whether you’re selected or not. That’s in Virginia.
Old 09-14-2024, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
My experience has been is that once summoned and you show up, you’re off the list for I think 3 years, whether you’re selected or not. That’s in Virginia.
According to the summons; in the county where I live (central Texas), the only previous jury service-based exemption you can claim is if you have been both summoned and served on jury during the previous 3 years prior to the date on your current summons. I vaguely recall being able to opt out on just the summons, many years ago, if you showed up when last summoned inside of 3 years. It's probably been changed to benefit the court system.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 09-14-2024 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2024, 04:41 PM

Yeah I thought it was every three years as well. That's how Jersey does it. I got selected three years to the day last time which I thought was hilarious and very annoying.
Old 09-14-2024, 04:46 PM
Steel..what else??

Down here is 1 year for County courts and 2 years for Federal courts.
They should pay retired people, students or people that like that stuff.....

Old 09-14-2024, 04:46 PM
Small ring

I've found that being really old exempts you.

It works for me.
Old 09-14-2024, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
I've found that being really old exempts you.

It works for me.
Guessing late 50's isn't quite old enough...
Old 09-14-2024, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post

WTH do I need to do to get out of this continuous cycle?
Serve on a jury. That’s usually enough for a few years reprieve. I’ve received the summons a few times over the years. The first time, it was “call Sunday, we’ll let you know if we need you” and they did not. Second time, they did, and I sat on a civil case that took a day. Third time, same as first. Fourth time, made it into jury selection, but got eliminated for cause (defense lawyers didn’t like how I answered a question). Only the 2nd and 4th times exempted me from service for a few years.

We’re all the jury summons from the same jurisdiction/courthouse? Around here, it could be the county court, county grand jury, or federal. All separate process, AFAIK.
Old 09-14-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
Down here is 1 year for County courts and 2 years for Federal courts.
They should pay retired people, students or people that like that stuff.....

Yeah, just what I want, a jury of bored housewives and dottering old fools.

It’s a jury of your peers for a reason. Seems to work reasonably well (or at least, less worse than other options).
Old 09-14-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Serve on a jury. That’s usually enough for a few years reprieve. I’ve received the summons a few times over the years. The first time, it was “call Sunday, we’ll let you know if we need you” and they did not. Second time, they did, and I sat on a civil case that took a day. Third time, same as first. Fourth time, made it into jury selection, but got eliminated for cause (defense lawyers didn’t like how I answered a question). Only the 2nd and 4th times exempted me from service for a few years.

We’re all the jury summons from the same jurisdiction/courthouse? Around here, it could be the county court, county grand jury, or federal. All separate process, AFAIK.
Never served on a jury. Every single summons from same jurisdiction. I've been told not to report (calling in Sunday p.m.) once. Usually my number is too high if I make it to the court room and the jury is picked before they get to me; had a few times I didn't make it that far. Been a couple times where one of the attorneys didn't like how I answered a question.

Jury service is something I have no interest in doing, for a few reasons I don't have time to go into right now. If picked however, I would serve and try to be as impartial as possible. The irritating thing is the constant, and closely-spaced summons I keep getting.
Old 09-14-2024, 05:41 PM

I have lived in California for 10 years and haven't been called for jury duty once.

I wouldn't mind if I were. It's important, even if it's not how I'd prefer to spend my time.
Old 09-14-2024, 05:42 PM

I've served on two juries, both were interesting experiences.

the first was a murder case...an 82-yo man strangled his 79-yo landlady with her kitchen apron. apparently some sort of jealous rage over her attentions paid to another tenant. go figure...

unfortunately for me, the day before the trial started I had a quasi-serious bike crash and had an acre or road rash on one side that extended from shoulder to ankle. I was bandaged up and once we were in court, was having a very difficult time sitting comfortably in the jury box. the judge became annoyed with my constant fidgeting and stopped testimony to ask me if there was a problem.

I really wanted to see how things unfolded, so told His Honor that I was ok and would take care to not interrupt the proceedings. oof, the trial lasted 6 days...was pretty miserable, but the case was fascinating so worth the discomfort.

the other was an embezzlement case...during voir dire, they asked us if we knew any of the parties involved. I didn't really recognize anyone and said 'no'...turns out it involved the father of one of my high school buddies and I'd actually been to their house a few times. oops.

it was a pretty open/shut deal, so knowing the plaintiff didn't really matter in the long run.

anyhoo, my point is that jury is something to do to be a good citizen, but getting called repeatedly is a bit of a PITA.

Last edited by Seramount; 09-14-2024 at 05:46 PM.